Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Everton Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭wally79

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,065 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

wally79 wrote: »
    Nice try but no ones announced it yet! :D

Done tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,725 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Done tomorrow

he's not my choice, but like all the rest of the Everton managers I will give him a chance , the only manager I found I could not get behind was Big Sam , in fairness Rafa is a much more decent person and better manager than Sam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭toffeeshel

Done tomorrow

Me too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Gavlor

First big Sam and now this clown. What a joke of a club.

https://twitter.com/dominicking_dm/status/1409925030847332363?s=21

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Gavlor wrote: »

For once I’m not going to argue.

I’m done.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭toffeeshel

Gavlor wrote: »

Only Everton could find a billionaire and go backwards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭Talisman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

I'll be getting right behind him.
    Obviously he's not the ideal appointment but like it or not, he is our new manager so no point in throwing toys out of the pram.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭larva

Oh lord this is actually happening, I see this appointment going one of three ways

A) Rafa becomes a beast of a Manager in his first season, delivers Champs League footy and the FA Cup trophy beating the Pool in the final. Unfortunately for Everton, Klopp resigns and Rafa gives Everton the two fingers and goes back Red.

B) The Sky turns Blue and Rafas appointment heralds a ton of World class players wanting to move to Everton purely to play for the Rafamaster, Mbappe signs in a swap deal involving Moise Kean and Everton do the treble.

C) Rafa gets sacked before Christmas and Everton finish mid table. Some guy associated with Burnley saves us from relegation but also gets sacked at the end of the season for Ronald McDonald?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

I thought I was done after Allardyce was appointed but I’m still here. I don’t like Rafa, I don’t like his style of football and he has that obvious connection with them lot. This will all end in tears but he’s the manager now and I’ll still be following Everton when he’s gone.

Lumbo wrote: »
    I thought I was done after Allardyce was appointed but I’m still here. I don’t like Rafa, I don’t like his style of football and he has that obvious connection with them lot. This will all end in tears but he’s the manager now and I’ll still be following Everton when he’s gone.

I agree , I just cant see it working , bad start to season and the knives will be out , on the other if he surprises us all and produces - bonus - Regardless io who take over, the squad is totally unabalanced , with many over-paid under performers, cant see anyone make this squad work , bar Conte or a Tuchel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Hate to say but we need to follow the Leicester model and buy young hungry players rather than older players looking for a paycheck

Compare Godfrey to James, one massively outdoing the other in terms of commitment, determination and drive

Well it's finally done. Gone by February is my guess

Just got the official email.

I can't remember ever looking forward to a new season less.

Enjoy the summer lads. Hopefully we are great under Benitez next season and I will come crawling back and admit I was wrong.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,824 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Don't understand the hate for Benitez. He's a proven Premier League manager, he's had great success, he won't bail on a team in a ridiculous way like Ancelotti did, he'll have the team well drilled and difficult to beat.

Curious as to what sort of expectation fans have with Benitez? You finished 10th last season under Ancelotti, but no one called for his head.

Don't understand the hate for Benitez. He's a proven Premier League manager, he's had great success, he won't bail on a team in a ridiculous way like Ancelotti did, he'll have the team well drilled and difficult to beat.

Curious as to what sort of expectation fans have with Benitez? You finished 10th last season under Ancelotti, but no one called for his head.

There is no "hate" for Benitez, except for some idiots.

It's ambivalence. Which is almost worse

they/them/theirs

Don’t hate Benitez.

Don’t like his links to Liverpool but that’s beside the point

He’s done nothing of note for 10 years and struggle to see what he will do for Everton

If it was, for example, Rodgers coming in I would still not like the Liverpool link but I think he would improve Everton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Let's hope he gets a good start.
    That helped Ancelotti hugely last season. We fell away badly

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭plibige

Said it to a Chelsea friend when he was appointed interm manager there and will say it to you's now. You got a serious gem of a manager, someone who really cares and will give you his all.

He got messed about with Hicks and Gillette, and Mike Ashley was never going to give him proper support. But when he is backed he gives you results.

People say his football isn't amazing, but I honestly loved that time as a Liverpool fan. Pragmatic with what he has and delivers results.

I'd be excited if I was an Everton fan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

plibige wrote: »
    Said it to a Chelsea friend when he was appointed interm manager there and will say it to you's now. You got a serious gem of a manager, someone who really cares and will give you his all.

He got messed about with Hicks and Gillette, and Mike Ashley was never going to give him proper support. But when he is backed he gives you results.

People say his football isn't amazing, but I honestly loved that time as a Liverpool fan. Pragmatic with what he has and delivers results.

I'd be excited if I was an Everton fan

Watched the interview with him there, he looks so happy. Delighted for him
    He's a gem of a manager, is he top tier currently? No but he will improve Everton as a club, the players and bring a structure to the squad they desperately are looking for. He has the experience to handle the pressure and get the fans on board.

Don’t hate Benitez.

Don’t like his links to Liverpool but that’s beside the point

He’s done nothing of note for 10 years and struggle to see what he will do for Everton

If it was, for example, Rodgers coming in I would still not like the Liverpool link but I think he would improve Everton

Nailed it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I'd be curious to know what CV you would deem worthy of managing your club.

Ye have landed on your feet here, that's my god honest opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭dubrov

Apparently he has already signed Dirk Kuyt as his first signing.

He is going to play him just in front of the back 10.

Personally, I’d rather finish 8/9th playing nice attacking football than finishing 8/9th trying not to lose.

I understand Liverpool fans will have an emotional connection to him as he was a very good manager for you. However his cv post Liverpool isn’t exactly inspiring

6 months at Inter
    6 months at Chelsea
    12 months at Napoli
    6 months at Madrid
    3 years at Newcastle
    2 years at Dalian Professional

I understand Liverpool fans will have an emotional connection to him as he was a very good manager for you. However his cv post Liverpool isn’t exactly inspiring

6 months at Inter
    6 months at Chelsea
    12 months at Napoli
    6 months at Madrid
    3 years at Newcastle

Liverpool fans are a bit obsessed with him getting the Everton job and how we should be grateful. Bizarre stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

6 months at Inter
    6 months at Chelsea
    12 months at Napoli
    6 months at Madrid
    3 years at Newcastle

He had 2 seasons at Napoli

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,336 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Liverpool fans are a bit obsessed with him getting the Everton job and how we should be grateful. Bizarre stuff

Everton fans are up in arms over him getting the job.
    Managers were hardly breaking down the Everton door to get the job.
    He is a very experienced manager.
    I think he can do a fine job for ye.
    I would prefer if he didnt get it to be honest.
    In a years time I think he will gave won a lot of the Everton fans around.

Time will tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,488 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

ShamoBuc wrote: »

Time will tell.

Are there not enough Liverpool threads?

• Advertisement

lawred2 wrote: »

Bizarre isn't it?

ShamoBuc wrote: »

Time will tell.

How do you know what managers applied for the job?
    Very experienced? Should we give it to hodgson?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,198 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Jeez lads, it's a football forum, with people discussing the new manager of a club in the appropriate thread for that club's news... 'bizarre' it is not.

I get that you don't want other opinions on this subject, but it's not like people are being dicks about it...

Look, Rafa's not sexy. It's what stopped him getting a permanent deal at Chelsea despite getting them back into the top 4, and winning the Europa League in the process. It's what cost him his job (well, along with Perez being Perez) at Real after only a few months despite having them well in the title hunt. And there's a good chance it'll be what happens here, irrespective of results.

I get that you'd prefer a great up and coming young manager right on the cusp of being top class, but it doesn't seem like those kinds of managers are clamouring for the job at the moment. It's not just yee, Spurs are having the same problem right now. Crystal Palace look to be going all out on that approach, and the best they could do is the massive gamble of Patrick Vieira. That's what's available. In that context, Rafa's a safe pair of hands, and ye could've done worse. Everton also have some proper quality players, so I wouldn't be surprised if the football is better than you're expecting either, as it always is when Rafa has quality to work with.

I'll give him chance , but feal it is unlikely to work , due mainly to an unbalanced squad of under achievers , lacking depth all over - Things are no where near as bad as the Big Sam days , and how this place got utterly hijacked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,637 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

lawred2 wrote: »
    Bizarre isn't it?

Mod: Cut it out, this thread is used to discuss Everton News etc, posters are free to discuss the topics on hand without this carry on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,488 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Fine I'll go back to not saying anything

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Fùck it, he's not the man I wanted but he's the man we've got

Minimum expectation for any new manager this season was to improve on 10th so Rafa gets a go to do it

Yeah it's painful having to do this with every new manager but we don't have a divine right to play in Europe - even a Guardiola or a Pochettino would struggle to get us into Europe after one season

I'm going to give him the opportunity to show us what he can do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

It's all well and good wanting an up and coming manager but in the last 20 tears, Everton have not really tended to do that, wrongly or rightly. Maybe you can include Marco Silva but that ended very badly.

In the last 20 years, Everton have appointed managers who have previously managed in the PL at another club. Benitez, Ancelotti, Marco Silva, Allardyce, Koeman, Martinez all fall under this bracket. Then we to back nearly 20 years ago to Moyes.

Who falls into both categories? Potter maybe. But it could be a scenario where he wanted the Spurs job.

Fitz* wrote: »

Who falls into both categories? Potter maybe. But it could be a scenario where he wanted the Spurs job.

I dont get all the Potter talk, one goodish season at Brighton, where at times they hovered around relegation - managing everton would have been a huge step up , dont think his cv warrants that - managing a group of many under motivated under performing over payed big names - in fairness Benitez has a better chance of that IMO

• Advertisement

Fitz* wrote: »
    It's all well and good wanting an up and coming manager but in the last 20 tears, Everton have not really tended to do that, wrongly or rightly. Maybe you can include Marco Silva but that ended very badly.

In the last 20 years, Everton have appointed managers who have previously managed in the PL at another club. Benitez, Ancelotti, Marco Silva, Allardyce, Koeman, Martinez all fall under this bracket. Then we to back nearly 20 years ago to Moyes.

It’s because they’ve hired all those boring safe bets that we are crying out for an up and coming progressive manager! How do people not see that

Is there an "up and comer" Everton fans feel was overlooked? Genuinely curious.

I wouldn't have thought Potter did anything to justify an Everton level job.

Maybe Galtier could have been interesting? Not young but a bit of a new name

Or is there someone in Germany or the Netherlands?

I don't see any young English managers at that level just yet but I'm open to correction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭dubrov

Trigger wrote:
    Mod: Cut it out, this thread is used to discuss Everton News etc, posters are free to discuss the topics on hand without this carry on

It's not that we aren't against opinions, it just that it is very patronising to hear Liverpool fan after Liverpool fan say we should take Benitez as he is at "our level" when you know deep down they wouldn't be happy if their club signed him.

At the end of the day, it is one of the most highly paid jobs in the world so would be likely to attract top talent. Even when Moyes accepted the United job, he only received a small bump in salary and probably hasn't slept since

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I enjoy when the other teams supporters come into the thread as most are genuine and have different views to Everton fans so I always welcome them in here.

My view on Benitez is I am ambivalent , he cant be worse then Koeman/Silva in my mind.
    There isnt many managers out there that I would have been shouting to hire to be honest as most great coaches are at clubs at their own level and wont drop down.
    I won’t be going out of my way to chant his name, but I hope he wins every single game with us and is successful. Maybe if he wn a cup etc I will start to chant his name.

Ten Hag from Ajax would have been my choice as I think he fits the bill. But would he want to come to Everton as start a building project where I reckon if he hangs on for another year or 2 at Ajax he may get one of the big jobs from Spain/Germany.

I wasnt too pushed on Nuno. All players he signed were based on an agent pushing players to the Prem to be put on the bigger stage to be sold on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭doc_17

I think Everton would have been the appropriate next step for Potter? He can’t expect to jump from relegation fight to top 4 contenders!

On Rafa, there’s a decent, expensively assembled squad there and if he had a few pound to spend he can turn the squad into top 6 challengers again. Then the season after, push on.

dubrov wrote: »
    It's not that we aren't against opinions, it just that it is very patronising to hear Liverpool fan after Liverpool fan say we should take Benitez as he is at "our level" when you know deep down they wouldn't be happy if their club signed him.

At the end of the day, it is one of the most highly paid jobs in the world so would be likely to attract top talent. Even when Moyes accepted the United job, he only received a small bump in salary and probably hasn't slept since

I'd be delighted to have Rafa back at Liverpool, I've posted it before and I'd post it again. He was and still is my favourite Liverpool manager I can remember. I can see why you could interpret it as patronising, but I genuinely think a lot of it is people like me who loved Rafa and want to see him do well and be happy.

Unfortunately Liverpool don't have a managerial vacancy at the moment, and probably won't anytime soon. But Rafa's family live in Liverpool so I think the bulk of us are just happy he can work in the city with his family.

I think there is also an element of him getting the short end of the stick a lot and wanting to see him given a fair crack. Hicks and Gillette ran him out of Liverpool, Chelsea only offered him interim, Inter had huge rebuilding issues not obvious at the time, Real let him go after only losing 3 games, and Mike Ashley was Mike Ashley.

I'm not saying he is perfect, but he's a top manager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭rob316

dubrov wrote: »

Their isn't a vacancy at Liverpool at present but I'd be happy to have Rafa back if there was. Ask any supporter and they never wanted him gone but the club was toxic, he was in conflict with the asset stripping owners, the banks were closing in and our best players wanted to leave. I would have loved to have seen him get a crack under FSG.
    In his time at Liverpool he turned them into the number 1 ranked team in Europe. Its not just the fact he won the European cup, we love him still as he made Liverpool a competitive force again.
    He's a project manager, give him time and support and he will take Everton places. He won't settle for Top 6 or even Top 4, he will want to win. Comments like calling Everton are a small team is just what he does, show me a winner who isn't a sore loser.
    He's gotten the short end of the stick at all his jobs since he has left Liverpool but this is IMO is perfect for him.

I'm going to unsubscribe to the thread, for the first time ever.

Later lads. Hopefully I'll be back to admit I was wrong.

they/them/theirs

Brian? wrote: »

You'll probably be back in a few months when he's gone along with the Liverpool fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Brian? wrote: »

I just don't understand it.

SickBoy wrote: »
    I just don't understand it.

yeah, the ups and downs of supporting a team - when things go too well , fans become apathetic to winning like City - agree, give Rafa, a chance , if it fails , we move on , the reality is ther was no suitable available candidate , the only one I can think was Conte , the rest mentioned were all risks too, remembering our unbalanced underperforming weak squad. /tough job for anyone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement