Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Everton Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭wally79

Our disappointment with the new manager will soon be forgotten.

Once the Euros finish we can move on to new player disappointment followed by new season disappointment

Rinse and repeat in 18-24 months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,488 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

wally79 wrote: »
    Our disappointment with the new manager will soon be forgotten.

Once the Euros finish we can move on to new player disappointment followed by new season disappointment

Rinse and repeat in 18-24 months

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,065 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Cushioning the Rafa news with the commencement date for the new stadium. 3 weeks and the work starts.

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Cushioning the Rafa news with the commencement date for the new stadium. 3 weeks and the work starts.

just enough time for another banking collapse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I'd be curious to know what CV you would deem worthy of managing your club.

Ye have landed on your feet here, that's my god honest opinion.

Feel the same, think it is a good appointment for Everton. Theyve got the bones of a decent side but they under performed under Ancelotti. Rafa will walk into that dressing room on day one having won more silverware than any of the players within it, he will have the immediate respect of the players.

He will make Everton very hard to beat which is no bad thing given some of the home losses last season, the defeats to Newcastle and Sheffield Utd at Goodison stick out and had there been crowds there those performances would have been roundly booed. I think Carlo got off the hook there mainly because there was no crowds. Rafa should make them into a good cup team as well which is their best chance of winning silverware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,370 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

as a Liverpool fan, I don't really care. I'd prefer he wasn't at Everton, but it makes no real difference to me. if our team wasn't in a good place, I'd probably feel differently.

i have no issue with Everton fans hating this. i wouldn't have wanted Howard Kendall to manage us the 90s. It just feels wrong.

i have an issue with the abuse he's getting near his home, and I know proper Everton fans would have an issue with that too.

it is what it is. it's modern football. it's all about money, and generally owners who don't really care about a club's history, or its fans really. the Rafa hiring is just a natural extension of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,725 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

lawred2 wrote: »
    just enough time for another banking collapse

we're all so paranoid at this stage , laying the first brick will be like winning a trophy -
    talk of the stadium actually began last time we won a trophy or a year later around '96

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Feel the same, think it is a good appointment for Everton. Theyve got the bones of a decent side but they under performed under Ancelotti. Rafa will walk into that dressing room on day one having won more silverware than any of the players within it, he will have the immediate respect of the players.

He will make Everton very hard to beat which is no bad thing given some of the home losses last season, the defeats to Newcastle and Sheffield Utd at Goodison stick out and had there been crowds there those performances would have been roundly booed. I think Carlo got off the hook there mainly because there was no crowds. Rafa should make them into a good cup team as well which is their best chance of winning silverware.

Everton squad is not good, quite unbalanced in fact
    Some glaring issues that need to be sorted
    Right back, high wages for average players nearing end of careers, lack of strikers, lack of wingers, #10

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Everton squad is not good, quite unbalanced in fact
    Some glaring issues that need to be sorted
    Right back, high wages for average players nearing end of careers, lack of strikers, lack of wingers, #10

After a comment about Dirk Kuyt I had a Look at some of Benitez`s past signings and he signed Kalidou Koulibaly and Philippe Coutinho as young players.Obviously they would have eventually been signed by someone else but he recognised their potential before anyone else which suggests perhaps he has an eye for promising young players.

RobMc59 wrote: »
    After a comment about Dirk Kuyt I had a Look at some of Benitez`s past signings and he signed Kalidou Koulibaly and Philippe Coutinho as young players.Obviously they would have eventually been signed by someone else but he recognised their potential before anyone else which suggests perhaps he has an eye for promising young players.

from what I read he also wanted Alonso out and signed Alberto Aquilani

Walter Smith once signed Marco Materazzi for Everton as well as Gattuso at Rangers but had his fair share of howlers too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,198 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

wally79 wrote: »
    from what I read he also wanted Alonso out and signed Alberto Aquilani

Walter Smith once signed Marco Materazzi for Everton as well as Gattuso at Rangers but had his fair share of howlers too

In fairness to him, Rafa's always had a great eye for a player. If only Liverpool had backed him on more of his targets - wanted both Danni Alves and David Villa before they exploded too.

As for the Aquilani thing, he didn't particularly want him, Liverpool were just flat broke at that stage and could only buy from other clubs in serious financial trouble that agreed to favorable installments, or players that were injured. In Aquilani's case, it was both! That summer was bloody awful, we needed a lot of reinforcements but the funds just weren't there... about the only decent move was Glen Johnson, who we were only able to get because Portsmouth were on the verge of collapse and they still owed Liverpool money from the Crouch sale a year before. The Johnson transfer let them write off that debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

People also get nice and glassy eyed about Xabi Alonso but he was really poor in the 07/08 season, Benitez gets stick over trying to replace him with Gareth Barry but there was some justification in his decision.

Rafa was a great manager 10 years ago. He had a great eye for young players 10 years ago. That’s my only doubt about him.

Yes he was Liverpool manager but that isn’t the issue for me. he has a lot to do to prove he’s a modern manager.

Even the tactics of Mourinho ,who was arguably bigger than Rafa, are starting to look dated and he’s been managing top clubs consistently in the meantime not collecting a pay check in China

Anyway I will leave it there. What will be will be as they say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

His Liverpool past isn't a major issue for me. I don't particularly like his character. Not sure that he's a good culture fit for Everton either.
    In saying that, I hope he does well as he's now the Everton manager.

My issue comes down to him not being a top manager anymore. For 10 years he has been hopping around and filling roles for a while mostly. Nobody has been banging down his door in the last six months or so since he has been back on the market. Clubs like Roma, Spurs etc hadn't even shortlisted him. Bit of a desperation appointment that will ultimately end in some sort of toxic event. His back is going to be against the wall from day 1. First run of bad games and the boo boys (that every club has) will be out in force. We'll be looking for a new manager in January again. Disappointing that it's another 12 months going to be lost in building this team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭dubrov

There's no doubt in my mind Rafa was appointed as he was probably cheap and will hang around if he does well.

I actually think he comes across as a decent guy. It's his football philosophy that worries me. I'm not sure if I can take another season of dross only to finish 8th-10th.

However, I'd watch paint dry to finish fourth :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

dubrov wrote: »
    There's no doubt in my mind Rafa was appointed as he was probably cheap and will hang around if he does well.

I actually think he comes across as a decent guy. It's his football philosophy that worries me. I'm not sure if I can take another season of dross only to finish 8th-10th.

However, I'd watch paint dry to finish fourth :)

our respective threads will be some fun if this happens at Liverpool's expense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭jacool

Rafa's 13 matches before the Merseyside derby.
    21 points would be a good return from them.

Date Time Match
    14/08/2021 15:00 Everton v Southampton
    21/08/2021 15:00 Leeds United v Everton
    28/08/2021 15:00 Brighton v Everton

11/09/2021 15:00 Everton v Burnley
    18/09/2021 15:00 Aston Villa v Everton
    25/09/2021 15:00 Everton v Norwich City

02/10/2021 15:00 Manchester United v Everton
    16/10/2021 15:00 Everton v West Ham United
    23/10/2021 15:00 Everton v Watford
    30/10/2021 15:00 Wolverhampton v Everton

06/11/2021 15:00 Everton v Tottenham Hotspur
    20/11/2021 15:00 Manchester City v Everton
    27/11/2021 15:00 Brentford v Everton
    30/11/2021 19:45 Everton v Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

You have to think on our first 6 games we would want to be looking at 12points +

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

You have to think on our first 6 games we would want to be looking at 12points +

12 at least - if there's 2 defeats and a draw in there then the fans will be #RafaOut immediately

• Advertisement

Yeah 21 points is a bit light from those fixtures

If he loses half his first 14 games the knives will be well and truly out

Pre season started yesterday

We have at least 5/6 players who need to go as they are on high wages and always seem injured

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭TTTT

Pre season started yesterday

We have at least 5/6 players who need to go as they are on high wages and always seem injured

Go where? Who will take them?

Seeing Delph arrive just brings the pain of being an Everton fan right back.

Couldn’t find this for ages. No news so!

2 games and 2 wins in preseason

Will Kean be sold? Probably not as PSG can sign players from anywhere. We do need a forward.

Will Small reappear to train and sign a contract?

• Advertisement

Begovic townsend and demari grey. Fun times for us this season

In fairness we needed a back up keeper and some more squad players to add depth as we don’t have much beyond first 11.

They are all free or very cheap transfers and will at least allow some options from the bench.

I still think Benitez wouldn’t have signed without some funds and fully expect some quality additions but I’ve been hurt before!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Speedomick is in Ireland at the moment doing his walk. Galway city tomorrow afaik. Terrific charity fundraising he is doing. Some man.

So how do I follow updates to this thread? Mobile site seems to show no updated threads!?

• Advertisement

It's a disaster. Can see plenty of people leaving boards over this.

It shows the threads with new posts for me. I'm using brave android browser

Well I guess someone will get an icey reception if they ever play for us again.

Post edited by Mickeroo on

Grim

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Took a few weeks off following anything Everton related. No Toffeeweb, no boards thread etc.

This morning I'm getting Whatsapps of <snip> dressed up as Jimmy Saville. Don't know if it's true, but great start to the season lads. Can't wait to watch the Toffees this season minus a nonce and Andros "balloon the ball into the stands" Townsend strutting his stuff.

It's a farce.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

All a bit premature. He’s innocent until proven <snip>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,769 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Hit the little blue lined banner on the top its the same as the old bookmark icon before the star. I think some use the star also

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,433 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Edited a few posts there. Best not to name the player here until it's official.

Thanks.

Trip to Florida now looking like a bit of a farce

No need for a long flight for hot weather training. Just hop on a ferry to Dublin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,637 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

On mobile click on the star beside the thread title in the main forum and on desktop the icon is a bookmark icon.

Yeah I've done that. I still only get notifications when someone has quoted me. Not when someone simply responds in the thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,637 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

If you go to your profile and notification preferences and click this one as "popup" or email if you prefer

Ok I've done that. Feedback from the touch site as to whether anything was changed was minimal. Thanks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Gray signed. That’s alright.

2 wingers signed and Bernard gone. I wonder if Richie is on his way to fund another striker.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭dubrov

Whatever it is I prefer it. Seems more Everton to me. Not the flash new money nonsense of the last few years.

• Advertisement

No harm in that. Quite a few on ridiculous wages who need to be moved on.

Advertisement