Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Everton Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Looking like an excellent result this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭wally79

Very good performance. Once we got to grips with them we never looked back

none of the old shakiness when we got ahead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Rafa doing a great jgb - helps having Doucoure and Allan in a strong midfield , Gray having a great start to his career here too, given us something different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Moving well

Hope that messing over penalty is resolved and Richy doesn't throw a strop

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

My suspicion is that he wanted to finish his Everton career on a high. He knows he’s off to PSG this week.

I hope I’m wrong.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Be a disaster if it happens , we are already likely to lose Kean, if we lose him too, expecting DCL to carry us alone , will not end well , no matter who manages us. We will be reduced to starting Tosun, who I believe is still on the books unfortunatly.

Kean more or less a done deal

linked with Diaz from Porto but he started for them yesterday

would be very surprised if Richarlison was allowed leave but he doesn’t sound too happy. He was posting about the penalty messing last night

In response to an image of the incident on Instagram, a comment written in Portuguese from Richarlison’s official account read: “For those who don’t know here, there is a hierarchy where I waited for three years to get my turn.”

Post edited by wally79 on

Sky are now reporting we are interested in Rondon - no please no - another dud to add to Tosun . We must keep Richarlisson if this is the calliber of replacement we are now reduced to signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

On a free he's better than Tosun. None of us wanted grey or townsend and both have been decent so far

always fealt Gray was good business, Townsend has history like Walcott starting well, then fading into mediocrity. Rondon really dont want, a 31 year old journey man, a Burnley/Watford level signing.

• Advertisement

Let’s not get over excited by the signings yet eh? Townsend has been good so far, but he’s always good at the start for new clubs.

Gray needs to keep this up.

they/them/theirs

I'd rather spend 1.5m on townsend and gray than the 50m we spent on Walcott and iwobi.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,021 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Think Rondon on a free would be a good bit of business as a backup focal point to DCL (not as a Richarlison replacement). Was really excellent for Rafa at Newcastle.

(and another 25m on Bolasie!)

for that type of player - speedster with questionable consistency, but great potential impact - the current two lads (particularly Gray) are decent low risk buys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Hearing chatter of Ainsley Maitland-Niles now.

I don't know much about him to be honest.

Thoughts?

Think you are a United or Liverpool fan - would you be happy with him joining your club ???

- he is a Burnley/West Brom standard journeyman

Ha, actually I'd definitely take him at Liverpool for the same role - as a cheap stopgap backup striker. We're missing someone to do exactly what he provides, bringing physicality and aggression in the box as a focal point against tight stubborn defences in the final 20. Players like that cause a bit of chaos by their presence alone, and change patterns from the 'work it around the box' trap we fall into, to something more proactive. You'd never start him outside the Carabao cup or something, but as a shot to nothing option, I think he'd make a positive impact in key moments over the season.

He's a Burnley/West Brom level starter, he's a higher level backup. From Everton's POV, the fact that Rafa knows him well and brought the absolute best out of him surely only adds to the appeal as a free backup. Even just to be able to take DCL off with 20 minutes left in a game that's already won, without changing shape.

all of that is grand as long Everton don't sell Richarlison

• Advertisement

I wouldnt touch him , we are overloaded with average players , do not need another one - he's nearly 32 , best days gone.

Dont think many liverool fans would be overjoyed to see him joining you.

Overjoyed no, but he's the sort of pragmatic signing you need sometimes. A lad who fills a gap. No-one's ever gonna be massively excited about it, but it answers a need.

I know what you mean with a bloated squad, we've the same at Liverpool - but ultimately you can only look at positions. When I look at the Everton front line, really as a CF focal point that the likes of Richarlison/Gray etc can play off, there's only DCL (assuming Kean is gone). You always need some redundancy so the whole plan doesn't have to be torn up if option 1 isn't there. But equally, it's firmly a backup role, so you're not gonna be going spending starter-money. In that context, he's a decent option I think, particularly given his history with Rafa makes him a 'known quantity' for him to work with.

As Lawred said though, that's all provided this is what he's for - he shouldn't be a replacement for any starter leaving.

(I also just think I rate Rondon higher than you do.. I've always had a soft spot for him - he always seems like one of those players that plays better with better players around him. Smart guy, moves intelligently to open space for runners, but also makes good runs for wingers to find. Good man for knowing, and following the plan too.)

Rondon is ideal for squad rotation for those League Cup and FA Cup games against lower league and for final 20 mins of a PL game.

Kean out Rondon in doesn’t feel great though.

they/them/theirs

Kean is a waste of space and wages. Doesn't want to be near the club so its better to get rid of. Wish we could do the same for Tosun. £28 million was it?

• Advertisement

We have no shortage of league cup/lower league standard players - we will not move forward signing the likes of Townsend and rondon - just stagnate mid table again . He is 32 years of age , awful transfer window, hoping it is the FFP that has us showing so little ambition.

Ah we need squad players it’s a long season

We can’t afford anyone better

I'd say there'll be no nice surprises. It is what it is.

We cant afford cause of FFP or lack of funds ?

Rondon in his prime was pretty average - Newcastle/West Brom level.

FFP I believe.

It seems like keans wages gone allows Rondon in and if anyone would take James we could get another

• Advertisement

no rumours for James, so if anything happens will be last minute , so little time to recruit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

He could still leave the club after the deadline tonight, that's just for UK clubs right?

Today's the deadline for the PL, Bundesliga, Serie A, Ligue 1 and La Liga.

For the last 2 years, the PL had an earlier deadline, closing before the league started, but they've since stepped back in line with the regular European deadline.

Certainly wont get a replacement for him now, was very critical of him last year, like others has the talent - if he is now staying want to see him put a shift in - every week - Dont think Benitez rates him, hope he doesnt just sit it out, along with the our other wasters we have on the books.

Is he even in England?

Weird window. I know nkonkou needs games but we have no decent cover for either full back now

needed to get rid of Rodriguez to give some leeway in January. Hard to plan a strategy with his wages on the books.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Everton must have the only honest billionaire owner in the world.

I strongly believe that if he wanted to spend money on the team then he would be able to find a way.

From the outside it really seems bizarre as to why he wants to own a football club if the ambition is to copy the Mike Ashley ownership template.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

I wonder did the super League spook him. All of a sudden his investment was highly devalued.

His mate uzmanov has already sponsored everything we have. We’ve been investigated over it

the reality is we wasted a lot of money over the last 3 years and don’t have the revenue streams to counteract it for FFP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

I think it's just an excuse using FFP. We have seen there is a way around it if the will is there.

I don't mean to be facetious but it seems that Everton are not spending money so that they won't be banned from competitions that they can't qualify for unless they spend a lot of money.

Next Man City manager: You lot may all be internationals and have won all the domestic honours there are to win under Pep. But as far as I'm concerned, the first thing you can do for me is to chuck all your medals and all your caps and all your pots and all your pans into the biggest **** dustbin you can find, because you've never won any of them fairly. You've done it all by bloody cheating.

• Advertisement

From what I have seen, over the last 5 seasons Everton have a net spend of about 275 million. Only city and united have higher

As well as that construction on the new stadium has started.

Your last comment is the problem with FFP and the conundrum Everton and other clubs outside the too 4/5 have to face. If you spend the money to get to the champions league you won’t be allowed play in it to recoup your investment. The established clubs don’t particularly mind FFP as it consolidates their position

it's only purpose is to consolidate their positions

The fa have told us to sort out our ffp. Points deductions will be next. Wasted so much money on rubbish in the last five years and nothing to show for it. One of dcl or richarlison will probably have to be sold next summer too.

As the other poster says - Why ?

when City seam to spend regardless

City have champions league revenue and premier league prize money with the performance in those competitions also leading to more exposure and better sponsorship etc

vicious circle for those outside the party

City haven't posted the losses we have over the last three years. They bring in much more money than us too.

Walsh, Koeman and BFS have left us in a bad place.

Huge wage bill, some crap players. Sigs €44m, Bolaise €28m, Klasson €24m, Scheniderlin €20m, Vlasic €9.72m, Sandro Ramirez €5.4m, Tosun €20m, Walcott €20m, Rooney wages

Cannot understand how poor our academy is, considering the U23s and U18s seem to be consistently doing well. We don't seem to bring players through

Now that James is continuing to stay , will he continue to rob a wage of much needed funds, or knuckle down and put in a shift - Consistently -

I certainly have my doubts

What a mess.. Benitez has no interest in him but is it really sustainable for Everton to have someone earning 10m a year and ask nothing in return?

Like what exactly is he even doing right now!? Is he even in England?

• Advertisement

A million a month to do nothing !!! needs to step up, show commitment and force Benitez to include him - highly unlikely to happen, so will just rob a wage - an obscene wage - no doubt infecting morale, particuly when things go wrong , look at your man , earning more than anyone on a permanent holiday, and we are expected to bust a gut in winter.

Advertisement