Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Everton Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2024/25

Comments

Rooney the odds on favourite to take over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I don't want Duncan taking over , been ther for too much of the bad stuff - might get an emotional short term bounce, but we need someone who we can re-build with - Potter stands out to me

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I don’t care who is lined up. This can’t go on.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement

nor can the constant managerial merry-go-round - it's not just Benitez , the players need to take a serious look at themselves - Ferguson has been ther throughout this whole misfiring project - thats why its so important they get the right man in, not just someone to shut the fans up in the short term, otherwise ther will be more rinse and repeat until, Moshiri goes, then we would be fucked, and could sink like Derby.

Replacing Benitez won’t fix everything, but it will fix one thing. So we need to do it now.

I know people are sick of changing managers, but we actually had the right man and he went to Real Madrid. So it’s not all the clubs fault. He should not have been replaced by Benitez, it was never going to work.

Somehow Benitez has convinced Moshiri that he’s the man to sort out the structural problems at Everton. Moshiri has backed him over Brands and Digne. Given him money to spend. Things keep getting worse.

they/them/theirs

Getting Ancelotti seamed perfect, but on reflection was wrong choice , didnt realise he had so little integrity, left us high and dry with a broken over-priced half project , we would have been much better getting Arteta who after teething problems is doing a proper re-build at Arsenal. Looking at the list of favourites is quite depressing , Frank Lampard and the likes. Potter seams the only one that fills me with some hope and might come, the Danish manager is high on it, not sure he'd take it, that is going to be the dificulty.

The only 2 managers I can think who could sort the mess that Everton is right now with our under-performing over payed squad, is Simeone and Conte and thats not going to happen - not sure how this will get sorted.

Post edited by thebaz on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Moshiri is going nowhere with the stadium progressing the way it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭toffeeshel

Short term bounce is exactly what we need. We need 18-21 more points and if Dunc can deliver 10-12 of them short term we should be safe come May

• Advertisement

Ancelotti was ultimately clearly not the right man.

It's hard to know what the right thing is.. we've tried the "up and comers" and the 'tried and trusted".. and both have failed miserably.

There's a few things wrong at Everton.. an old boys club seems to be one of them. Maybe there's too many lads around the club that have never achieved a whole lot in their careers.. maybe it's a culture of mediocrity.

Ferguson, Baines, Unsworth etc

and Duncan has been ther for the years of rot, given our squad and other weaker teams , relegation is not a serious threat , but the lack of progress and a plan is -

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Relegation is a serious threat. We are the worse team in the league over the last 15 games.

Sorry but I can’t agree re relegation. Our form is the worst in the league 1win since September. We are most definitely in a relegation fight. I’m not saying Dunc is the long term solution but we desperately need a bounce

Sacked. It’s on official site

He’s gone!!

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Stripeyman

After yesterday he had to go. The absence in the club's statement of any mention of an interim manager is interesting. I wonder if they already have a successor in mind.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭chicorytip

It's (his sacking) a stupid decision made by people who know little about football. What is appointing Ferguson and Baines, or anybody else for that matter, going to achieve at this point in the season? An increased risk of relegation, that's what. Rafa would have sorted things out and achieved mid-table by season's end. A parting of the ways could then take place, if mutually agreeable. It's a premature sacking. Daft!!

• Advertisement

What evidence is there that he could have turned this around? 1 win in 12 games, tells me the opposite.

Have you actually watched Everton lately, dire performances mainly. Weird formations that don’t work. Rondon playing every week.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Delighted.

Playing Rondon every week was crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭chicorytip

It's all about good players. Everton don't have enough. That's not Rafa's fault. He inherited most of them. Having said that Everton are much better than those teams near them at the bottom and more likely to progress up the table. Sacking Rafa will only hinder that progress, not accelerate it. It's only mid January after all. Some of those being mentioned as his potential replacements sound like joke candidates. Lampard, Rooney f.f.s!! They're hardly fit to tie Rafa's shoelaces. The mentality of those who run the club is the problem. They are clueless. Who appointed Brands and allowed him to squander a fortune over the past five years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭wally79

You are talking about the Rafa who managed Liverpool a long time ago.

the Rafa we got was a dinosaur. Football has moved on

You have no idea what you’re talking about. Rafa was a decent manager 15 years ago. Now he’s a clueless has been.

His decision making and game management has been horrendous this season. He’s made the same mistakes over and over in the last few games. He’s shown no inclination to change.

As for good players; he ran James Rodriguez and Luca Digne out of the club.

they/them/theirs

Nice bit of trolling. R.A.W.K is that way >>>>>>>>>>>>>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭dubrov

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭john9876

Martinez is now the favourite but surely he's unlikely to leave Belgium with a world cup in 11 months.

Potter is the obvious choice and he might be tempted now that spurs/arsenal won't be available for a couple of years and Everton is as big a club as he's likely to get.

With players coming back from injury , and hopefully never see Rondon leading the line again, and the quality of the teams below us I am not concerned about relegation - but am worried about who we will appoint - we have gone backwards as a club the past 12 months , whilst most teams around us are going forward - not sure who we will get to manage us but please not another dinasaur and that includes Dunc.

Also the supposed senior players - need to take a serious look at the themselves - Delph/Keane/Rondon/Gbamin/Gomes/ - in fact the whole squad except maybe Gordan and Gray its been pathetic for a few years now and thats not all on Rafa , even though his stubborness and formation was dreadful.

• Advertisement

Potter apparently not interested. Can't blame him

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Stripeyman

I don't know who you're referring to, that never happened...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

An interim appointment could be disastrous.

And destabilise the club, further.

There are no obvious candidates. Carlo leaving left us rudderless, Benitez was a terrible appointment.

Zero direction in the club. What style of football are we trying to play from youth teams through to senior squad? Whats the policy on loaning out/in players?

Yeah an interim appointment given two weeks' to recruit a few more Tosuns and Walcotts before leaving in the summer. Leave us stuck with them for years.

No thanks.

Just stick with an internal caretaker. Ferguson or Unsworth.

It's now we need a DOF.

Its a sad state of affairs when Brighton is more appealing than us - if Potter won't come we really are goosed , no Director of Football either - thats Billy Kenwright now - who appaerntly wants Martinez - given the sad state we are in I'd take him,

Can't believe Martinez is linked and favourite. We were terrible in his last two seasons.

• Advertisement

If they go back to Martinez I give up

We've pretty much been terrible after he left too, maybe at the start of last season things seamed decent, but that was short lived .

At this stage I'd go all out for Potter, cant think of any one else realistic - he might take us forward and unite the club and actually take the job. Simeone would be the person who would guarantee straightening things out, but we know thats not going to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭dubrov

Terrible is relative. I thought it was bad at the time but Benitez has given me new perspective.

At least Martinez gave us a few great highs, possibly the greatest since 95.

I'm not sure if he would be our solution though but the other options are not great either.

Personally I'd give it to Big Dunc until the summer. At least he might instil a bit of passion back in the club.

I had a look at the likely candidates on BBC, none of them excite me at all. Most I’d be unhappy with.

I think Nuno would steer us to safety and then be sacked in under 2 years. Potter wouldn’t last a year. Rooney is a complete gamble. Jose is a hard no, another Benitez.

The one I’d be least unhappy about is Fonseca. But he’s used to working under a DoF and we just lost ours after a tussle with a manager we then sacked.

if we win a couple of games under Ferguson, leave him at it if we get to safety.

they/them/theirs

Harsh on Potter , performed a miracle at Brighton on a shoestring - playing decent football

• Advertisement

Maybe. I’m just pretty negative about the whole situation.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Duncan Ferguson should be shown the door as soon as the next manager is appointed.

He has been part of the coaching staff under the last number of managers and as such is obviously part of the problem.

another yes man whose constant appointment is one of sentiment and nothing else.

I agree, but sadly I fear will be given the job, one step forward and 2 steps back again - rinse and permanent repeat

Martinez offered the job. What are we like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

Is Mike Walker still around?

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

People have very short memories. I was convinced he was going to get us relegated if he hadn't been fired. His first act as manager was to bring in the spine of the team that he actually did get relegated.

certainly be a step up from Rafa - considering all the money spent/wasted since he left, the club has probably got worse - might be alone but would welcome him back, certainly preferable to Dunc who has been around for all the bad stuff - the last time I witnessed Everton playing good ball was under Martinez, apart from a month under Carlo, given some of our recent managers Martinez has a lot more respect from me.

Martinez is a step up on nobody

hes won nothing with Belgium’s golden generation and almost relegated us

his best season with us was when moyes influence was still on the team and then he dismantled that

he won the FA cup with Wigan and got them relegated

what qualities does he have that make him a suitable candidate

• Advertisement
Advertisement