Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Everton Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2024/25

Comments

Good God. All I remember is that Martinez was absolutely detested by Everton supporters by the end of his reign. Surely has to be a wind up? (I'm a Spurs fan by the way).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Martinez is a bit of a spoofer. I don’t want him back.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

I'd take Stephen Kenny over Martinez.

This all goes back to the appointment of Koeman and DOF Walsh. A brutal manager who didn't want to be at the club and a DOF who spent a fortune to make the squad worse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭chicorytip

No. Rooney is doing well and seems to have the potential to manage at a higher level but that's all at the moment. Rafa would have done the business. I thought he conducted himself in a dignified manner throughout the weekend. Another experienced old head is required right now. Big Sam, ironically, might be the best man.

Post edited by chicorytip on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Big Sam , Rafa - no - even Potter doesnt want the job - its all so depressing , if Dunc takes over I think I'll give up

Fat Frankie being interviewed today.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Liverpool fan here, not one who worships the ground Rafa walks on.

The game has moved on from when he was successful, for a man who appears humble the football manager can't help himself trying to break things that work in order to reinvent them hence its his tactics that are the reason for success. See Real Madrid as a reference. Tinkered with a winning team to try and subjugate his team to come under his control, it's akin to him letting them know he is the man.

That brings me to my question. Lucas Digne. Always struck me as one of your best players. French international, modern full back, how is it that Rafa always seems to fall out with these guys? And how is he allowed to be sold when the guy he fell out with gets sacked like a week later?

It's like Rafa tries to make a point that it's not about good players, it's about his own tactical genius. He did it at Liverpool too with Alonso, stupid petty argument, seemed to turn on him when he missed a champions League game to attend birth of a child (Alonso is one of footballs good guys, dedicated and very professional with excellent mentality, low maintenance) but Rafa could not help himself.

You guys need to start by building the structures at the club from the bottom up. Doesn't matter which first team coach is right now, DOF/Sporting director is more important and any manager with too big of an ego to work with this DOF, well they should be immediately disregarded. Success will always be collaborative.

Klopp works with a team of people at Liverpool behind the scenes, zero ego, all pulling in one direction. Contrast that at Man Utd who have either gone with a big name who wants all the control, or inexperience who will work with an insufficiently qualified backroom team and administration.

appaerently won't be martinez after all, Lampard next up

Duncan has apparently got the job - Big Sam backs him and says he will help out - feal its my turn to be done with it all !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭dubrov

Well if Big Sam backs him there is nothing to worry about 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

What's the feeling amongst fans losing Digne? Rafa seemingly forced him out, was 25million a bargain for Villa?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭wally79

Time will tell. On the face of it he hasn’t had the greatest 1 or 2 seasons. No assists this season and not superb defensively

however some of that may be related to managerial tactics and a general weakness in the back line

Big Sam probably has his eye on the DoF position - at this stage nothing would surprise me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 341 ✭✭john9876

I presume Duncan Ferguson will be an interim appointment until the end of the season?

• Advertisement

Your first mistake is to presume Everton do anything with foresight.

he may be interim manager at the end of the season but that doesn’t mean there won’t be also be a permanent manager between now and the

Opinions are divided on that one. I think losing Digne was a huge mistake

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

I agree considering how things played out less than a week later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Given how clearly the writing was on the wall with Rafa, I’d guess he wanted out anyway. Literally everyone everywhere made the point that he’d easily outlast Rafa if he hung tight, and the fact that he’s played under 4 different managers in his 3 and a half seasons means he knows better than anyone that he wouldn’t have to wait long. I really think his move was about more than just Rafa. Reckon Rafa was just the final straw.

Mosh sticks another 100m in to the club. He's not backing away anyway.

• Advertisement

it is good news - we will probably get the Big Dunc bounce and beat Villa tomorrow , hes talking the right stuff, and with a full squad availavle

So he's increased his shareholding, meaning less scrutiny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Old news apparently. He’s not particularly giving it away either. Basically turning a debt to equity.

I think it's great news. The fear was that Moshiri had gotten cold feet after his last disastrous investments. He could've easily left that debt as is and pulled the money out of the club

Yeah it's good for the balance sheet of the club though.

How much did he increase his shareholding by?

That’s the performance of a team going down.

they/them/theirs

I’ve supported Everton since I was a boy about 40 years ago. Apart from some good years at the start and the cup in 95 which was at the end of a horrific season it has been nothing but frustration and disappointment.

I’ve become so disenfranchised with the club that results like today and the pending relegation don’t even really bother me anymore.

I’m sure there are plenty more like me

would be a start if Ferguson and Kenwright left the club , they have been ther for all the rot.

Someting fresh is needed, not Ferguson blood and thunder, but a plan for the moderrn age.

• Advertisement

Good to know Duncan is very pleased with it all - do the honourable thing and just leave , we need a new begining, even if we go down with style and a real plan, somthing to build on, rather than the never-ending years of dross.

We're going down.

Football is too professional these days. You get no "new manager" bounces. Oppositions are simply too well prepared.

Everton is awash with yesterday's men.

And frauds.

Ther is only one leader in the squad , Coleman, and he is not good eneough these days for this level, the likes of Gbamin and Delph robbing a living probably on 50 Grand a week, playing one game a season, can you image what morale is like for anyone young and ambitious at the club., for the likes of Godfrey and DCL standards will inevitable fall in such an environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Was up at the match today Goodison is a lovely ground plenty of character but you can’t stop progress and at least you’ve got a new stadium to look forward to.

As a Villa fan I thought a draw would have been a fair result today, we had no control of the game 2nd half and most of us thought an Everton goal was inevitable

From the outside looking in I don’t think Everton will go down but you’ve got to replace Ferguson ASAP. A pragmatic approach is required, I’d look at Nuno rather than the likes of Canavarro plenty of PL experience and given the number of games left I think he’d do enough for the rest of the season to get you out of trouble

Another Big Sam appointment?

I don't think Coleman is a leader. Screeching at everyone before you slice a ball across the box isn't leadership. Nor are those hang dog faces with weekly acknowledgements that we all have to do better...

Leaders do it on the field first and foremost. And then talk after.

Post edited by lawred2 on

Well I don't see anyone better at leadership than him ?

At least he tries in comparison to the likes of Gbamin, Delph and Gomez ... just that he is past his best, with injuries and age

It's a low bar. There's no leadership anywhere

Allan is a leader, so is Dacoure. They should always play together when fit. I’ve no idea why Allan was dropped today, he’s been the only one putting in 100% effort lately.

We played desperate stuff today. Caveman football, hoofing it long to DCL and hoping Richarlison could do something with the second ball. Pathetic.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Stripeyman

Duncan said after the game that Allan was coming back from Covid and had trained very little (if at all) during the week. Hopefully Doucoure's injury is not serious and he'll be back next week.

I fully agree on your second point, we're seriously lacking a bit of creativity. The only test their keeper faced today was trying to figure out how much time he could take when he had possession. Gordon offered more when he came on though, he surely has to start next week.

I thought we were much improved second half. Very unlucky that either Godfrey or Mina didn’t score. Also Calvert lewin still not back to full sharpness

If Gordon and Allan had started in place of Townsend and Gomes I think we would have won that

we will survive and hopefully the next season is better

I agree , staying up playing Caveman football under Dunc and we will back to the same place next October - need leadership and a plan from someone new and creative not a dinasaur who has been here for all the bad stuff, and gets a pass for his playing days 30 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Unfortunately looks like Vitor Pereira is getting the job. Can't see this ending well. Sacked in December by fenerbache.

Yeah I’d even rather see Rooney get the job. Better a might be than a has been IMO

know very little about him, would prefer Lampard the other choice - but think they should make a massive offer to Potter, the choices are very poor , as its someone like Conte or Simeone thats needed right now, and thats not happening.

• Advertisement

He’s the least worst option I’ve seen mentioned. From what I read Fenerbache was a mess before he joined and he did ok considering. He’s a disciplinarian, but does well with young players. So let’s see.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Got relegated in Germany too. Won a few titles with Porto but that's not much of an achievement

Certainly better than Ferguson, who should be shown the door, and follow Rafa

I don't think it'll matter who we get in. The result will be the same.

It's more important if Moshiri is prepared to invest to replace the dross that is currently there.

Pereira, at least, has silverware in his cabinet. Lampard, Rooney and Potter don't have the proverbial pot between them. So, he looks the outstanding candidate of those left in the field. Even Stevie Gerrard, whom I don't really rate, won the title at Rangers. You can't take a gamble on somebody like Lampard purely on the basis that he has the potential to become successful.

• Advertisement
Advertisement