Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camper conversion - stove questions

Options
  • 16-09-2018 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Beginning the process of officially converting my beloved transporter and have a few Qs re gas and stove in particular. As far as I'm aware I will have to insure with MCC due to the height and I hear that their requirements are understandably strict. It's a self build but when I started looking for stoves they were coming in super expensive....is it possible to get them second hand and if so where would I find them? Alternatively, have seen some nice builds online where they've permanently mounted camping stoves (the more substantial ones with two burners and a grill) - would this suffice? I know they don't want a makeshift set up but if it was a decent one rather than a pocket rocket and was built in it seems like a smart way to save in the region of 200quid on a stove. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

Ebay and get delivered via parcel wizard with DPD is probably best bet of getting something decent in the short term.

If a single hob is ok for you:
    sink, hob, water pump, tap
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SMEV-MO8821S-1-Burner-Hob-Sink-Combination-Unit-Cooker-from-my-VW-T5/163261468150?hash=item2603244df6:g:g~IAAOSwON5bnsBv

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Ebay and get delivered via parcel wizard with DPD is probably best bet of getting something decent in the short term.

If a single hob is ok for you:
    sink, hob, water pump, tap
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SMEV-MO8821S-1-Burner-Hob-Sink-Combination-Unit-Cooker-from-my-VW-T5/163261468150?hash=item2603244df6:g:g~IAAOSwON5bnsBv

Don't the VRT regs look for 2 burners?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭acorn

Open to correction on this but I think you may need a hob with safety shut off burners if you need RGI gas certification.

VRT guidelines /= regs and say cooking facilities, nothing about number of burners. The guidelines are very carefully phrased, the bits that start with "must" are covered by the european definition of a motorcaravan. The bits that say *generally" and "should" etc. are made up if you want to pursue an argument with revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Fafftastic

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Don't the VRT regs look for 2 burners?
    Think it's just the MCC that looks for two burners, revenue don't seem to specify.

• Advertisement

Move with the times folks (FAO: governing bodies).
    Dinosaurs are dead. Induction is the present. Gas is for redundancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭acorn

??
    Maybe I am a dinosaur!
    Can someone translate please.

The powers that be insist that it's not a camper unless you have a gas hob?

I can build a camper with electric hobs and power it with sunlight. There's no provision to recognise this as a legitimate camper build. Yet it's cleaner, better, more efficient, safer and lighter.

Them that make the rules ought to open their minds a little.

acorn wrote: »

??
    Maybe I am a dinosaur!
    Can someone translate please.
    Rather than investing the money in gas hob , bottle, locker, regulator, hose, clips, RGI cert etc. and the ongoing costs of gas. You could invest it in a larger quality battery bank, inverter, proper charging, solar panel, inverter and induction hob and have the added benefit electicity available everywhere you go, batteries that will last many years longer, not having to pay for hookup most of the time etc

Not paying for a hook-up? What's the return on investment?
    Isn't the going rate somewhere around €5 per kWh?

You know another great thing about induction hobs?...you can heat-sink them to wood burning stoves. ;)

• Advertisement

Not paying for a hook-up? What's the return on investment?
    Isn't the going rate somewhere around €5 per kWh?

You know another great thing about induction hobs?...you can heat-sink them to wood burning stoves. ;)
    Free to 5 euro per night for hookup overage is probably 2.50 to 3. I have only plugged in twice this year.

Havent seet the hestsink setup it that with it on? Wpukd have thought it would be prone to popping fets when hot.

Depends on how much leky you use. I've a 2.8kWh onboard battery I generally deplete no further than 30%.
    I've used 2 campsite hook-ups ever.

Err...the induction space heater...the hobs pop up in Aldi for about €30. That'll cost me equivalent to aboot 8 bales of compressed Bord na Mona dinosaur gubbins for a proof of concept.

I already have a 1.2kVA state of the art sine generator I couldn't say no to (might buy a second) but it'll be a mains only job lest I go nuts...

Advertisement