Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Joker movie - starring Joaquin Phoenix (MOD: May contain Spoilers)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

mathie wrote: »
    But this film is an attempt to show how he descends into 'crazy'.

How does ambiguity over which events happened or not show his descent into 'crazy'? If anything they show that he was crazy from the outset, considering how early into the movie he meets Zazie Beets.

Tazzimus wrote: »
    A comic book character that dresses as a clown, fighting a comic book character dressed as a bat. How dare it be unrealistic.

Really cringe when I see this argument. Lowest common denominator stuff.

A movie can make sense within the world that it has created for itself, and not make sense in a "real life setting".

Like if you brought the Green Lantern and Shazam into the Dark Knight universe. Clearly they don't abide by the rules set out in that universe. But people aren't capable of making coherent points in their defense of this, so resort to this embarrassing nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

El Duda wrote: »
    I too was shocked to find that an origin story about a man who dresses as a clown and fights a man dressed as a bat was unrealistic.
    I might be a tad over-serious here, but a film can be narratively realistic (as in cause-and-effect realism, or other narrative believabilities), rather than content-realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Mokuba wrote: »
    Really cringe when I see this argument. Lowest common denominator stuff.

A movie can make sense within the world that it has created for itself, and not make sense in a "real life setting".

Like if you brought the Green Lantern and Shazam into the Dark Knight universe. Clearly they don't abide by the rules set out in that universe. But people aren't capable of making coherent points in their defense of this, so resort to this embarrassing nonsense.
    More embarrassing when you don't realise the sarcasm dripping off that comment..

I enjoyed it for what it was; A movie about a different, dark, take on a comic book character.

Tazzimus wrote: »
    More embarrassing when you don't realise the sarcasm dripping off that comment..

I enjoyed it for what it was; A movie about a different, dark, take on a comic book character.

Or a bad take on King of Comedy with a hint of Taxi Driver, with a guy who paints his face and a forced connection to the Batman universe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

How does ambiguity over which events happened or not show his descent into 'crazy'?

RE the ambiguity ... People can take one or more meaning from a film. Which one is valid? That's a topic for the ages.

His descent into 'crazy' was shown quite clearly and it was not in the ambiguity.
    History of mental illness.
    Abusive father.
    A lie he was led to believe about his mother came crashing down.
    Ridicule by an irresponsible media.
    Amongst others.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

RE the ambiguity ... People can take one or more meaning from a film. Which one is valid? That's a topic for the ages.

His descent into 'crazy' was shown quite clearly and it was not in the ambiguity.
    History of mental illness.
    Abusive father.
    A lie he was led to believe about his mother came crashing down.
    Ridicule by an irresponsible media.
    Amongst others.

But they made a complete mess of the calls for ambiguity by hand holding us through the girlfriend reveal.

Or a bad take on King of Comedy with a hint of Taxi Driver, with a guy who paints his face and a forced connection to the Batman universe.
    Or an interesting take on King of Comedy with a hint of taxi Driver, with a dodgy connection to the batman universe i.e. the latter could all be in Fleck's head, where Joker (unbeknownst to Fleck) would be an inspiration for The Joker.

Such are the possibilities, whether accepted or not. It's making heaps of cash on the back of ambiguousness, so fair dues.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    But they made a complete mess of the calls for ambiguity by hand holding us through the girlfriend reveal.

That's what I originally thought, but as a Fridge Theorist, it makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Relikk

Foxtrol wrote: »

Definitely wasn't needed as it was evident as soon as her reaction to him being there was one of shock. But they had to do the "Did you get it? DID YOU GET IT?" nonsense for some people, I suppose. But the fact that they showed us that indicates and reinforces the fact that nothing else other than that, and the part where he's watching the show with his mother where he daydreamed about being on it, were the only elements of the movie that occured in his head. The rest of it happened as it was shown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

That's what I originally thought, but as a Fridge Theorist, it makes sense.

Does the Fridge Theory retcon the Joker out of his own film?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,612 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

TBH, and not trying to be "that guy", but I had guessed the girlfriend was imaginary; the biggest clue before the reveal mostly came from the scene after the murder, Arthur striding up to the neighbours door and the two immediately lobbing the gob. It was just such obvious fantasy, and having barely exchanged a dozen words prior, I didn't buy for one second that it actually happened.

So soon after, when we she floated around in the background - also quite unbelievable - I thought "aha, imaginary girlfriend". Briefly wondered if they had made a balls of the editing TBH, but the script thus far was so gleefully sadistic (the scene with the kid on the bus was such a stupid hat-tip to that), I suspected instead the writers were going to pull the 'aul Tyler Durden.

Does the Fridge Theory retcon the Joker out of his own film?
    Yeah. Fleck's Joker dies not long after killing 3 on train- death by fridge. At some stage later The Joker, it can be argued (when and where up for debate), adopts the persona of Fleck's alter ego character.

What happens in the fridge, stays in the fridge!:pac:

Joker is a character in Fleck's head- which never made it out of the fridge. He seems to have inspired other people to adopt the persona, which in turn could have inspired whoever The Joker was.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ubald.stone

Probably current year best movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Seen this about, thought it was quite cool.

jokers.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭El Duda

Saw it again last night. Stand by my 8.5/10 review. It is a great film. I love how it provokes conversation and debate.

Still think You Were Never Really Here is better in a lot of ways though admittedly very different.

Prepare to seeth

Just listen to these 'critics' discuss Joker...

https://play.acast.com/s/truthandmovies/9a048ec4-9427-4458-8370-e4c6739a3052

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,612 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

No thanks; there are plenty of things in my day to make me seethe, without going out of my way to listen to contrarian - triggering, you could say - podcasts or reviews. Why would you even do that, and sure who has time to spend on things they'll hate? This some derivation of the "hate watch" spawned from people watching shows they don't like, just so they can complain about them?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,198 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

pixelburp wrote: »
    TBH, and not trying to be "that guy", but I had guessed the girlfriend was imaginary; the biggest clue before the reveal mostly came from the scene after the murder, Arthur striding up to the neighbours door and the two immediately lobbing the gob. It was just such obvious fantasy, and having barely exchanged a dozen words prior, I didn't buy for one second that it actually happened.

So soon after, when we she floated around in the background - also quite unbelievable - I thought "aha, imaginary girlfriend". Briefly wondered if they had made a balls of the editing TBH, but the script thus far was so gleefully sadistic (the scene with the kid on the bus was such a stupid hat-tip to that), I suspected instead the writers were going to pull the 'aul Tyler Durden.

The second Sophie came to his door all cool with him following her and agreeing to a date is when people should have copped something was up. In the scene before she was trying to hurriedly get into her apartment to get away from him.

It made no sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

El Duda wrote: »
    Prepare to seeth

Just listen to these 'critics' discuss Joker...

https://play.acast.com/s/truthandmovies/9a048ec4-9427-4458-8370-e4c6739a3052

Lol, braindead stuff from them. They are trying way too hard.

Why would you even do that, and sure who has time to spend on things they'll hate?

I regularly listen to the pod. When it started the legendary James Richardson was the host and it was decent. I dip back in now and again when a film I've seen pops up.

They're usually very snobby and sniffy but the Joker review is something else. At one point one of them claims that anyone who thinks the film has a nice aesthetic has been tricked lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

Was last weekend but didn't get much out of it. First part didn't do much for me and I think the rest of the film suffered because of it. Found the soundtrack off-putting too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Pineapple1

The part where Arthur stares and smiles at a passing taxi passenger who's wearing a clown mask.....is that the same woman that was on the subway having chips thrown at her by the 3 guys? Same longish hair and brown eyes, and I think, same jacket?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭4Ad

I didn't really know what this film was going to be about, I had heard Joaquin Phoenix was a good in it.
    I can't say I 'enjoyed' it but I thought it was brilliant...disturbing, intruiging, sad, violent.Even when I left I was still thinking ( and reeling)
    And yes Joaquin Phoenix deserves every plaudit aimed at him, fantastic performance.
    Delighted my 14 year old niece dragged me along..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

...and sure who has time to spend on things they'll hate?

A percentage of users without which this site would go bankrupt! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Joker passing Deadpool in US Domestic box office
    followed by
    Ryan Reynolds saying congrats :)

The news:
    https://twitter.com/RottenTomatoes/status/1187784134434816001

The congrats:
    https://twitter.com/VancityReynolds/status/1187756233928990720

• Registered Users Posts: 5,198 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

The amount of crying in the comments really makes you realise how much of a bubble Twatter is.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I saw it this evening, and I thought it was brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Tammy!

I think some of the criticism the film is getting on here is justified but overall I enjoyed it. Its a good film. It wasn't something I'd watch again.

A lot of people are saying they don't think it should have a sequel but I think it could be good. I thought it was a bit dragged out to the end and would have liked to see more of him after he transitioned into the Joker.

Advertisement