Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Joker movie - starring Joaquin Phoenix (MOD: May contain Spoilers)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Nitrogan

If you've seen King of Comedy and Taxi Driver this is a mediocre mash up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

Saw it last week, I thought it was awful. Not the artsy psychological drama that people were touting. A very safe, conventional comic book movie. Phoenix does his best with a very limited script, but it's nothing complex or interesting as the role suggested. The moment the film lost all credibility is when he went to Arkham and found out that the events were literal, and they even put in a lame explanation of his love acquaintance, as if the audience is so dumb, they need to be told what they already knew. Overall, an unimpressive piece of work.

Things don't need to be that polar and it certainly isn't awful. I think it exists for myself in the middle ground of being a decent film while I wonder what all the fuss is about around it. I can't help but feel it exposed a certain demographic of cinema-goer to a decent film and as a result, gets way over lauded because the baseline was quite low, to begin with. The fact some people were describing it as some artsy flick is mind-blowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭rtron

El Duda wrote: »
    I've seen it twice and there's one very strong hint that pretty much the entire film is just in his head.
    Seen it again last night. I think now I totally got it wrong.
    Near the start there is a scene with the therapist/psychiatrist asking him if he remembers why he was in the asylum. Then he's banging his head off the glass wall.
    Is this what you mean?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Didn't make the Guardian's top 50 of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,198 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

vriesmays wrote: »

The outlet is poison these days to the point of parody. Their review of The Witcher labelled Geralt an incel so that kind of approach tells you everything one needs to know about it.

I'm left leaning in my politics as well but can call a spade a spade.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭El Duda

rtron wrote: »
    Seen it again last night. I think now I totally got it wrong.
    Near the start there is a scene with the therapist/psychiatrist asking him if he remembers why he was in the asylum. Then he's banging his head off the glass wall.
    Is this what you mean?

Yes, that was one of many moments that hint at it. The clock in the background as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

When you think of the once mighty Guardian...think of an hysterical 15 year old girl who hates boys!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,611 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It wouldn't be in my list of films of the year either, so what? Plenty of outlets there without looking for ones to get huffy over.

But while it wouldn't, I applaud and admire the spirit that drove making this - it shouldn't even exist really - but not the actual execution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

The stink of pretentiousness off their list is overpowering. They probably couldn't remove their head from their arses long enough to see Joker was even released this year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I have seen Joker on a few worst of lists, which is absurd but that's the culture war for ya.

I have seen Joker on a few worst of lists, which is absurd but that's the culture war for ya.

Spot on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,611 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

In 5 or 10 years time when the fuss and / or hype has blown over, this will be an interesting film to re-examine and take its pulse. Myself I don't think it'll stand the test of time but let's see. Or indeed what, if any, kind of imitators or genetic cousins it might spawn; the Dark Knight had that effect, the MCU caused a bunch of hurried imitations and I'm hoping that if nothing else, Joker makes studios chart a different course for pop culture properties that aren't immediately locked into blockbuster mediocrity.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,477 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Wouldn’t make my top 50 films of the year.

Wouldn’t make my worst films either - although I’ve seen so few actively bad films this year it’d be a short list one way or the other.

It is, in the classic parlance of Ireland, ‘grand’.

pixelburp wrote: »
    In 5 or 10 years time when the fuss and / or hype has blown over, this will be an interesting film to re-examine and take its pulse. Myself I don't think it'll stand the test of time but let's see. Or indeed what, if any, kind of imitators or genetic cousins it might spawn; the Dark Knight had that effect, the MCU caused a bunch of hurried imitations and I'm hoping that if nothing else, Joker makes studios chart a different course for pop culture properties that aren't immediately locked into blockbuster mediocrity.

It will stand the test of time for nothing else other than the chances it took. There are people who loathe the genre but love this film because there are, to quote one of them, "no wanker superheroes."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

Wouldn’t make my worst films either - although I’ve seen so few actively bad films this year it’d be a short list one way or the other.

It is, in the classic parlance of Ireland, ‘grand’.

Would be interested in even 10 films you thought were better this year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,477 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Would be interested in even 10 films you thought were better this year.

Parasite, Portrait of a Lady on Fire, The Farewell, A Bread Factory, Knives Out, An Elephant Sitting Still, The Favourite, The Irishman, Varda by Agnes, Marriage Story, Midsommar, Monos, The Souvenir, Uncut Gems, Hotel By The River, Booksmart, Manta Ray, Beanpole, The Lighthouse, Atlantics, Us, Bait, For Sama, The Last Black Man in San Francisco, Apollo 11, Amazing Grace... to name just a few!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

Parasite, Portrait of a Lady on Fire, The Farewell, A Bread Factory, Knives Out, An Elephant Sitting Still, The Favourite, The Irishman, Varda by Agnes, Marriage Story, Midsommar, Monos, The Souvenir, Uncut Gems, Hotel By The River, Booksmart, Manta Ray, Beanpole, The Lighthouse, Atlantics, Us, Bait, For Sama, The Last Black Man in San Francisco, Apollo 11, Amazing Grace... to name just a few!

Ah right, a lot of non-English language films, no interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭micks_address

Personally thought the Favourite was horse manure

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

pixelburp wrote: »

Regardless of whether anyone still thinks it's good or not at that point, I think it will be re-examined for years to come simply because of the cultural nerve it touched. It's a rare thing: a film trying to make a big statement that proved extremely popular with mainstream audiences while also divisive for a variety of cultural/political reasons. Love it or hate it, it's a very interesting film. Debates amongst critics about its artistic value may be missing the point, if indeed they are sincere at all given how many unremarkable films are given a pass by those same critics because they are semi-entertaining or say things that don't offend them.

Personally the film just worked for me. I was thoroughly absorbed by it and was still thinking about it days after. For that reason alone it will be making my top 10 list. (Along with I might add The Favourite and several other films already mentioned by Johnny Ultimate.)

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

Comical.
    I'd agree it wasnt the best.
    But to say Us and booksmart is superior is just hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

I've seen all of two of the movies he mentioned. They were both good. One of them I rate better than Joker. One I disagree with Johnny, but still enjoyed. It was in foreign, but someone wrote proper on the screen for me to understand. I have heard of a few more, though, so I've made this handy if partial guide.

Knives Out is in every cinema in the country, stars James Bond himself, was directed by the guy who did The Last Jedi. Little art house flick. Probably in Portuguese.
    The Irishman is a Scorsese film. It was in the cinemas here recently. It stars Robert Di Niro. You probably remember him as the game show host in Joker. It's entirely through the medium of interpretive dance. You probably wouldn't like it.
    The Favourite is, in fairness, in British. Completely incomprehensible. Emma Stone is in it though. And she's playing a lesbian. Or maybe playing someone playing a lesbian.
    Marriage Story has the chick in the catsuit from Avengers. It is about a divorce though, so probably boring.
    Uncut Gems stars Adam Sandler, who's mostly famous as that guy from all those obscure Japanese movies about meditation and sushi.
    Booksmart is a teen comedy from the Judd Apatow gene-pool. Probably only screened in the IFI for a week.
    Apollo 11 is about when those guys went to the moon. Russian? Who knows? Not interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

If you only watch movies that are in English then you're missing out on a lot of great films.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Parasite
    Portrait of a Lady on Fire
    The Farewell
    A Bread Factory
    Knives Out

An Elephant Sitting Still
    The Favourite
    The Irishman

Varda by Agnes
    Marriage Story
    Midsommar

Monos
    The Souvenir
    Uncut Gems

Hotel By The River
    Booksmart
    Manta Ray
    Beanpole
    The Lighthouse
    Atlantics
    Us
    Bait

For Sama
    The Last Black Man in San Francisco
    Apollo 11
    Amazing Grace

Bolded films are in English. I make that 15 out of 26 are in English.

Gotta say I'm with johnny on this one - I liked Joker, Phoenix's performance was great, but I don't think I'd feel pushed to rewatch it and it's nowhere near the most impactful or best film I've seen this year. The Favourite, Monos, Midsommar, Pain & Glory, Knives Out and The Nightingale are a few I'd pick off the top of my head that I enjoyed more in the moment and which have stuck with me more since than Joker did.

In the spirit of stirring up conversation, what films would be further down your list of top films of the year if Joker were head of the list?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭Homelander

That's a ridiculous statement.

Not because you're dismissing non-English films, because that's fine as a choice....but the majority of those are English language films.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Excellent pod with todd Philips and Michael moore about the film

https://pca.st/episode/9d324fa7-9b8b-4f3b-8919-f6be06eee0a1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭matthewmurdock

Abel Ruiz wrote: »
    Comical.
    I'd agree it wasnt the best.
    But to say Us and booksmart is superior is just hilarious.

Us is definitely superior, in my opinion. Haven't seen Booksmart

People have this obsession with defending this movie to the point where they totally dismiss anybody who dislikes it, or found it very average.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

Us is definitely superior, in my opinion. Haven't seen Booksmart

People have this obsession with defending this movie to the point where they totally dismiss anybody who dislikes it, or found it very average.

I don't care if anyone thinks joker is average or worse. I thought it was enjoyable.
    But Us was very poor, a good start but went quickly down hill after the middle. Poor film overall.

• Advertisement

Rothko wrote: »
    If you only watch movies that are in English then you're missing out on a lot of great films.

Agreed. I mean my favourite horror film is spoken in Swedish but there's clear air of people going out of their way to sh1t on this film. As Sad Professor said there are people putting the film in their worst of lists which is just laughable.

Advertisement