Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Joker movie - starring Joaquin Phoenix (MOD: May contain Spoilers)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

MfMan wrote: »
    As an aside, which role/historical figure has been the subject of three nominations?

Queen Elizebeth?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭MfMan

great question..... any clue for us?

Hmmm..., it yielded one win, none of the performers would feature anywhere near The Veterans thread on this board.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭p to the e

I'm gonna throw it out there. Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Churchill?

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Queen Elizebeth?

Actually, upon research, yes. Cate Blanchett x 2, Judi Dench.
    One I have in mind is related...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

The eponymous "star" in A Star is Born?

Not really related to Elizabeth though...

The eponymous "star" in A Star is Born?

Not really related to Elizabeth though...

I'll also kinda give you that one, though Lady GaGa was named differently in her version.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭Ryath

Henry VIII

The Private Life of Henry VIII Charles Laughton won
    A Man for All Seasons Robert Shaw nominated
    Anne of the Thousand Days Richard Burton nominated

Ryath wrote: »
    Henry VIII

The Private Life of Henry VIII Charles Laughton won
    A Man for All Seasons Robert Shaw nominated
    Anne of the Thousand Days Richard Burton nominated

My man!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Just finished watching this film again. Just brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Been thinking about it and one thing I think they missed out on was
    In The Killing Joke the Joker's idea is that one bad day could send anyone insane so he kidnaps and drugs Gordon but it doesn't work. Gordon still wants the Joker caught by the book. In the film they ignored this altogether, there's a logic to Albert's descent in to becoming Joker.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Finally got around to seeing it over the weekend. I guess the hype around the movie was never going to be lived up to. Phoenix certainly deserved the oscar. You can really see, or I can really see, at least, the amalgamation of multiple sources of Joker characters. I certainly thought there was a good sprinkle of Nicholson's, cartoon and Ledger's Jokers. But he did make the part his for sure.

And while it was a good watch, and rewatchable, was it also not just Taxi Driver in Gotham? (regardless of De Niro)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Watched it again for a second time on sky movies.

Great performance in an above average film. Too slow paced and dark imo.

Ledgers Joker is still my favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

ricero wrote: »

I really liked it. It was probably my favourite film of last year, but I have not seen Parasite or any other big award films apart from OUATIH and the Irishman. I will never watch the Irishman a 2nd time, maybe will watch the Tarantino film again as the acting was so good and ending great, but there wasn’t much else to it. I prefer Pheonix performance to Ledger, he brought the tragic human side to it, whereas Ledger was just a psychopathic murderer. I also thought the ending of TDK was pretty poor, whilst Joker ending was fantastic. I will watch Joker again and again, tho still have only seen it once!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Always Be Closing

Nicholsons Joker is far better than anything else committed to film

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Caesar Romero fans represent! ;)

These "best Joker" conversations are silly.

If you watch three modern Jokers back to back, you'll see they're all completely different. For me, the characters are too different to be really comparable.

All extremely great performances!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭Don2012

It was typical of the "woke" liberal agenda all modern movies are taking nowadays. Look at Terminator Dark Fate, another movie franchise destroyed by wokeness.
    Joker was an anti white movie, painting white people as bad and should be looked at with disgust.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

What's hilarious about the above is this thread was previously littered with arguments that this was an anti-woke movie because the Guardian didn't like it lol

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Don2012 wrote: »
    It was typical of the "woke" liberal agenda all modern movies are taking nowadays. Look at Terminator Dark Fate, another movie franchise destroyed by wokeness.
    Joker was an anti white movie, painting white people as bad and should be looked at with disgust.

What makes it anti-white?

• Advertisement

What makes it anti-white?

Promoting white people as the bad and evil ones in the movie, haven't you watched it? They even have a protest in it holding cards calling (white people) "racist".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Promoting white people as the bad and evil ones in the movie, haven't you watched it? They even have a protest in it holding cards calling (white people) "racist".

So there's white people in the film who are bad, therefore the film is anti-white.

Out of curiosity, can you give me an example of a film, any film, that you wouldn't consider anti-white?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,609 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Gimme a break. Truly were entering the lunacy of Schrödinger's Film: somehow being both woke and (lol) "anti white" and an alt right rallying cry for incels at the same time.

Joker wasn't woke, insofar as its message amounted to a vague "eat the rich" polemic mixed with some weak "mental health services are important". It was a warmed up Scorcese knock off with a standout performance and a script that thought itself way more profound than the end product managed. Anti white is a new one though, I'll say that.

So there's white people in the film who are bad, therefore the film is anti-white.

Out of curiosity, can you give me an example of a film, any film, that you wouldn't consider anti-white?

Watch the movie again...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,198 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

ricero wrote: »

:mad:

When I saw this bump my heart sunk and the follow up posts did not disappoint.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,609 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

mikhail wrote: »
    Caesar Romero fans represent! ;)

It was only in adulthood, and relatively recently that I had learned Romero refused to shave his signature moustache, requiring the white pancake to be slathered in an attempt to hide it. Love that little anecdote.

Oh and clearly the best actor to play Joker is Mark Hamill :D and I'm not even sure if I'm joking either!

Watch the movie again...

Poster is trolling lads. I've seen him floating on other boards today doing the same.

On the movie though, I said on this thread on initial viewing that I absolutely loved it. And loved it just as much on second viewing.

Bought the Blu Ray and stuck it on the other night...... third time not so lucky. Maybe I need to give it a little more breathing room before revisiting

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Username exists

pixelburp wrote: »
    It was only in adulthood, and relatively recently that I had learned Romero refused to shave his signature moustache, requiring the white pancake to be slathered in an attempt to hide it. Love that little anecdote.

Oh and clearly the best actor to play Joker is Mark Hamill :D and I'm not even sure if I'm joking either!

Its probably been covered before but the font used on the talk show is the same font used for the 90s most excellent batman cartoon series.

Mark Hamill was a fantastic joker

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Always Be Closing

Loved the quote

" 'It was never The Joker, as played by Jack Nicholson. It was 'Jack Nicholson, as played by 'The Joker' "

I can only imagine the AMOUNT of Colombian Marching Powder he went through while shooting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,778 ✭✭✭✭Penn

There can be no real "Best Joker" argument, because each Joker suits the movie they were in and probably wouldn't have worked in any of the other ones. Even Leto's Joker suited the movie he was in, because he was dogsh*t and so was the movie.

Advertisement