Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Joker movie - starring Joaquin Phoenix (MOD: May contain Spoilers)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,463 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

aww, you just jinxed it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Skerries wrote: »
    aww, you just jinxed it

Ha true enough; though as mentioned earlier, if this becomes a hit, I wouldn't be surprised if Todd Phillips gets petitioned to make more, or extend into this universe.

Though by the sounds & looks of it - and some of the reviews thus far - you'd struggle to insert Batman into this universe. It sounds too broken and miserable for a man to stalk the rooftops in a bat costume.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,406 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

The trailer seems to be getting a better reaction on Youtube than Star Wars, more views, likes etc.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's a film that has absolutely nothing to lose, and arguably started its life with fandom casting a suspicious, cynical eye. It was only ever going to gain support, assuming trailers showed a sliver of vision; whereas Star Wars is a tainted brand for all sorts of reasons, be they real or imagined.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭tigger123

silverharp wrote: »
    The trailer seems to be getting a better reaction on Youtube than Star Wars, more views, likes etc.

That says more about content creators on YouTube than anything else. It's not a reliable metric.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

tigger123 wrote: »
    That says more about content creators on YouTube than anything else. It's not a reliable metric.

I would say it has a lot to do with fans being burned by The Last Jedi. If that film was universally praised then I think the new Star Wars trailer would have a lot more interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,406 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

tigger123 wrote: »

sorry I meant the actual trailer, it has several million more views and a lot more upvotes

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

is this the greatest tease ever ?
    Robert pattinson asking for comments about the joker to be retracted

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/09/robert-pattinson-batman-crossover-joaquin-phoenix-joker-theory-1202170657/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

peteeeed wrote: »
    is this the greatest tease ever ?
    Robert pattinson asking for comments about the joker to be retracted

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/09/robert-pattinson-batman-crossover-joaquin-phoenix-joker-theory-1202170657/

Let’s be optimistic and say joker is as good as we think it might be and very successful. Any chance of a proper adult, R rated , Batman movie?

It’s not that we need R rated movies to be good (like Nolan’s Batman’s) , it’s that the studio does not restrict the director (in this case presumably Phillips) from telling the best story possible. If they have already built an R rated Joker I find it a difficult transition back to a more watered down version for younger audiences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

Slightly confused about this film. I assume this is a sort of a prequel to the Batman films about Batman's main enemy. But how come there is a name for the Joker Arthur Fleck and a backstory about him being a failed comedian? Wasn't the Joker a gangland figure in both Batman 1989 and also The Dark Knight? He was named as Jack Napier in the former.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,429 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

God I cant wait for this movie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭s8n

PTH2009 wrote: »
    God I cant wait for this movie

you are gonna have to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

No way will this movie be a stand-alone. They would be leaving too much money on the table.

Slightly confused about this film. I assume this is a sort of a prequel to the Batman films about Batman's main enemy. But how come there is a name for the Joker Arthur Fleck and a backstory about him being a failed comedian? Wasn't the Joker a gangland figure in both Batman 1989 and also The Dark Knight? He was named as Jack Napier in the former.

Ignore 1989 barring the chemical tank (even if that is not in this on)
    In Dark Knight the Joker was already fully in the persona, not an origin.

This is not a prequel to the films you have already seen.
    Assuming that this story leans heavily on the One(ish) Bad Day line of thought from The Killing Joke

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Didn't the director say this movie would not follow anything from the comic books

It'll be a standalone movie, until it isn't. And beyond the obvious caveat of the film's success in the box-office, extending the universe entirely depends on Phillips & (especially) Phoenix wanting to come back in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭El Duda

I have high hopes that Phoenix would reject being part of any kind of sequel.

This should be stand alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

Phoneix was interested in playing Doctor Strange but wouldn't agree to the multi film deals that Marvel must have if I'm remembering correctly. If that was the case you'd assume this is a one film deal so would require him agreeing to come back which taking into account everything we know about him feels unlikely. But at the same time if they sit him down and deliver a seriously good script for introducing Batman into this world you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,198 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

correction wrote: »
    Phoneix was interested in playing Doctor Strange but wouldn't agree to the multi film deals that Marvel must have if I'm remembering correctly. If that was the case you'd assume this is a one film deal so would require him agreeing to come back which taking into account everything we know about him feels unlikely. But at the same time if they sit him down and deliver a seriously good script for introducing Batman into this world you never know.

Not that I think he would sign up for a sequel, but the difference is that Marvel were asking him to make a multi film commitment where he would be giving up any kind of creative input and flexibility in what he could ssy no to.

In this situation however Phillips and Phoenix have the power assuming all goes well and the film is a smash. I would compare it more to how Nolan had WB by the balls in regards to coming back for TDKR.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,361 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

El Duda wrote: »

Even if he wins Oscar and its a massive success at box office?

• Advertisement

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Even if he wins Oscar and its a massive success at box office?

Especially if he wins an Oscar and its a massive success at box office.

Too much of a good thing never ends well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭kerplun k

El Duda wrote: »

Yep. I’m thinking the same. Iirc, that’s exactly the reason he turned down the Dr Strange role.

We've seen how well this has been received by critics. Lots of comparisons to 70's Scorsese films etc..

Why on earth would anyone want to risk tainting this (potential) classic film by having him appear in a Justice League or Suicide Squad?

He was fantastic in the phenomenal 'You were never really here' and I don't see anyone who enjoyed that film clamouring for a sequel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

pixelburp wrote: »
    It'll be a standalone movie, until it isn't. And beyond the obvious caveat of the film's success in the box-office, extending the universe entirely depends on Phillips & (especially) Phoenix wanting to come back in the first place.

I don’t think the tone of Philip’s movie lends itself to universe building. The inherent silliness of comic book characters is a hard wall and one that Nolan quickly hit even with his “realistic” take.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,475 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Well I don’t think anyone expected this. Joker just won the top prize at the immensely prestigious Venice Film Festival. The Joker himself would relish such a grenade being thrown into the film Twitter discourse (especially since a new Roman Polanski film was the runner-up :pac:).

https://twitter.com/la_biennale/status/1170402890860679169?s=21

Yowsers, the hype is truly real. WB/DC must be absolutely salivating at this stage...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

pixelburp wrote: »
    Yowsers, the hype is truly real. WB/DC must be absolutely salivating at this stage...

Sh1t just got real.

I really hope this is not a poisoned chalice.

Uncharted wrote: »
    Sh1t just got real.

I really hope this is not a poisoned chalice.

And remember, a $50 million dollar budget. If this hype transposes into footfall, hard not to see this making an obscene profit for WB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Well I don’t think anyone expected this. Joker just won the top prize at the immensely prestigious Venice Film Festival. The Joker himself would relish such a grenade being thrown into the film Twitter discourse (especially since a new Roman Polanski film was the runner-up :pac:).

https://twitter.com/la_biennale/status/1170402890860679169?s=21

He’d be even more delighted to beat a rapist to first place.

• Advertisement

Ipso wrote: »
    He’d be even more delighted to beat a rapist to first place.

From Reddit...
    Not surprising that Polanski came in a little behind

Jaysus.

Advertisement