Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ali : Weds 19 Sept 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Preparations here earlier near the Kerry coast :)

hU44TUe.jpg?1

LOVE it!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭aisling86

My husband will be driving from macroom to Tralee in the morning, I've advised him to leave earlier so hopefully he gets to work before the worst of it. Thankfully Sundays event is falling on a weekend & people can hunker down for the day if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,663 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I find it pretty remarkable Met E have stayed away from a Red warning on this, given that parts of the west will receive red-level amounts of gusts and rain at about the same time.

Perhaps they are using more judgement around 'impact' this year? Middle of the night storm should be less dangerous to most.

Also, can we take a moment to appreciate how lovely the AROME's wind gust animation is?

eFTK4Ie.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

aisling86 wrote: »
    My husband will be driving from macroom to Tralee in the morning, I've advised him to leave earlier so hopefully he gets to work before the worst of it. Thankfully Sundays event is falling on a weekend & people can hunker down for the day if needed.

Whats the forecast for Sunday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,202 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

The likes of it not seen since The beast from the east.

Oscar Bravo, goose06, Goeasy123, RedPeppers, road_high, JFKIRELAND, Timistry, alta stare, MJohnston, sboyle01, autumnbelle, mhiggy09, fifijk, JCX BXC, JosephG, derekbro, barneyrub, DrDonkey, Meteorite58, binnox, SleetAndSnow, aisling86, Mobhi1, Dubs1990, dayo22, Reckless Abandonment, Slimity, Twinklyeyes, Gizit, SeaBreezes, EdgeCase, Ray Donovan, AdamB, DBB, Frigating, Freddie Mercurys Bolero, John.Icy, boxer.fan, batman1, DOCARCH, Rebelbrowser, Burns71, vickers209, WoolyJumper, toffeeshel, turbostan, tylercollins, MidMan25, FunkSoulSista, Padkir, konman, inthehat, ideb, Daz_, buzsywuzsy, missfarmer, OutThere, who what when, ZX7R, xii, gingernut79, rliston, Tickityboo, Dank Janniels, kittyn, ectoraige, sickle, monster1, highdef, Liamalone, Oneiric 3, EletricMan, Alonso77, ellewood, ollie103, eorna, JanuarySnowstor, davehey79, HelloMrSnowman, nedsgarden, Bonzo Delaney, pishposh, Jimjay, P.lane78, Hooter23, Gaoth Laidir, Shorty69664, blackberry jam, Skippette, baldbear, antodeco, natc, cian1500ww, greenfield21, terryrogers, divil_a_bit, Doyler99, PETERDGRIFFIN, Saganist, neilthefunkeone, ElWalrus, java, touts, Kermit.de.frog, NeitherJohn, Xenji, bassy, SuperStarHoney, boomtown1, tu2j2, leahyl, mojesius, spookwoman, pg633, Tomtom364, Crystalclare, chilipepper, Charles Babbage, giveitholly, dexter647, mac.in, Doctor Jimbob, coillsaille, Snoddy, bennyineire, littlema, AeroEng1, Avns1s, Blackhorse Slim, bloopy, White_hills, skeogh82, irishrover99, jammiedodgers, deuces wild, ReturnOfThe, CloughCasey1, Eathrin, Schummi, snowgal, Discodog, 200motels, AidoEirE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

fifijk wrote: »
    Hopefully you say....omg I'm ****ting myself. Fecking hate this weather.
    Different strokes and all of that. I love this weather, always have. It feels alive.

New Moon

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »

Uncertain yet, but follow here https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057880548&page=36

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭aisling86

It's in a separate thread FI...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

The likes of it not seen since The beast from the east.

Oscar Bravo, goose06, Goeasy123, RedPeppers, road_high, JFKIRELAND, Timistry, alta stare, MJohnston, sboyle01, autumnbelle, mhiggy09, fifijk, JCX BXC, JosephG, derekbro, barneyrub, DrDonkey, Meteorite58, binnox, SleetAndSnow, aisling86, Mobhi1, Dubs1990, dayo22, Reckless Abandonment, Slimity, Twinklyeyes, Gizit, SeaBreezes, EdgeCase, Ray Donovan, AdamB, DBB, Frigating, Freddie Mercurys Bolero, John.Icy, boxer.fan, batman1, DOCARCH, Rebelbrowser, Burns71, vickers209, WoolyJumper, toffeeshel, turbostan, tylercollins, MidMan25, FunkSoulSista, Padkir, konman, inthehat, ideb, Daz_, buzsywuzsy, missfarmer, OutThere, who what when, ZX7R, xii, gingernut79, rliston, Tickityboo, Dank Janniels, kittyn, ectoraige, sickle, monster1, highdef, Liamalone, Oneiric 3, EletricMan, Alonso77, ellewood, ollie103, eorna, JanuarySnowstor, davehey79, HelloMrSnowman, nedsgarden, Bonzo Delaney, pishposh, Jimjay, P.lane78, Hooter23, Gaoth Laidir, Shorty69664, blackberry jam, Skippette, baldbear, antodeco, natc, cian1500ww, greenfield21, terryrogers, divil_a_bit, Doyler99, PETERDGRIFFIN, Saganist, neilthefunkeone, ElWalrus, java, touts, Kermit.de.frog, NeitherJohn, Xenji, bassy, SuperStarHoney, boomtown1, tu2j2, leahyl, mojesius, spookwoman, pg633, Tomtom364, Crystalclare, chilipepper, Charles Babbage, giveitholly, dexter647, mac.in, Doctor Jimbob, coillsaille, Snoddy, bennyineire, littlema, AeroEng1, Avns1s, Blackhorse Slim, bloopy, White_hills, skeogh82, irishrover99, jammiedodgers, deuces wild, ReturnOfThe, CloughCasey1, Eathrin, Schummi, snowgal, Discodog, 200motels, AidoEirE

Ah its storm season, most people will only come out for storm season:D

fifijk wrote: »
    Hopefully you say....omg I'm ****ting myself. Fecking hate this weather.

((HUGS))) I used to be like that. Old age helps...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Mac_

Frequent lightning flashes visible here in Antrim from those cells moving across the NW and N coast. Rain must be pretty intense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭sdanseo

MJohnston wrote: »
    I find it pretty remarkable Met E have stayed away from a Red warning on this, given that parts of the west will receive red-level amounts of gusts and rain at about the same time.

Perhaps they are using more judgement around 'impact' this year? Middle of the night storm should be less dangerous to most.

They're using judgement on the basis that the masses in Dublin would ignore future red warnings because they can't see the effects seen in the areas where they are most extreme. Very serious risk of crying wolf, even though technically the red criteria are met and will likely be exceeded locally.

Combined with this is their slow speed at getting off the fence and moving to the impact based system, slow not due to individual forecasters who are fantastic but the "ah it'll be grand, sure we'll fix it when we really need to" attitude of Irish public services.

Net result: less effective warning in the areas where it's needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Mace Head gusting 85 km/hr on the 23.00 report.

Max gust in Castlebar of 89 km/hr as it stands.

Graces7 wrote: »
    ((HUGS))) I used to be like that. Old age helps...
    Not judging Grace but you live in one of the stormiest regions of the country. I imagine you are well 'hardened' to such conditions compared to us soft handed inlanders. :P

New Moon

Now now, we're not all just blow -ins......some of us were here though snow, heatwave and drought:)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,874 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

T'is a stiff breeze to blow a way the cobwebs.

Ye all be grand :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Like the opposite of fairweather friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Graces7 wrote: »
    surely best to err on the side of caution?

It's not really that simple. I have promised to help someone do something and I hate to let them down. Ordinarily I wouldn't even consider it. As it is I've managed to cut my drive to a short one straight down a main road and back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,663 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

sdanseo wrote: »
    They're using judgement on the basis that the masses in Dublin would ignore future red warnings because they can't see the effects seen in the areas where they are most extreme. Very serious risk of crying wolf, even though technically the red criteria are met and will likely be exceeded locally.

Combined with this is their slow speed at getting off the fence and moving to the impact based system, slow not due to individual forecasters who are fantastic but the "ah it'll be grand, sure we'll fix it when we really need to" attitude of Irish public services.

Net result: no effective warning in the areas where it's needed.

In fairness, I continue to be entirely sceptical about this 'boy who cried wolf' effect. I think most people in Ireland are born dismissive of weather warnings and similar things, and nothing will dispel those notions as they grow older. It's a subset of the "ah sure it'll be grand" personality syndrome.

Max Gusts so far today (km/h):

95 Mace Head (Galway)
    93 Finner (Donegal)
    89 Belmullet
    87 Newport (Mayo)
    78 Knock Airport

Highest Temp (°C):
    21.9 Phoenix Park

Most Sunshine (hours):
    6.4 Casement Aerodrome (Dublin)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,967 ✭✭✭spookwoman

MJohnston wrote: »
    In fairness, I continue to be entirely sceptical about this 'boy who cried wolf' effect. I think most people in Ireland are born dismissive of weather warnings and similar things, and nothing will dispel those notions as they grow older. It's a subset of the "ah sure it'll be grand" personality syndrome.

There is that and a lot of people felt the met forecasters over dramatized and seemed to be competing with each other last time.
    Now add that their forecasting has gone downhill people are just rolling their eyes and say ah here we go again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,443 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Just driven a couple of miles from work lots of leaves and a few branches. Assume the worst is tommorrow and have to be in at 8am !
    Sw donegal

Latest WV image. 'Dry slot' evident. Interestingly, a minor 'wave' feature seems to be catching up with it which is probably what will give 'Ali' its forecast potency:

5wWLNGY.png

New Moon

There's a Met Eireann forecast on Rte1 radio 1(or sky 0160) at 1155pm with the very latest general and sea area forecast

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭mangobob

Ok I know I have asked this before a few pages ago, but I'm genuinely curious. How reliable is Ventusky in terms of forecasts? The latest projections on the site show gusts of 177 kmh in Dublin 16 at midday tomorrow (up from 155 kmh earlier).

I mean come on now. Seriously. If that is even remotely accurate, then forget tying down the bins. I may have to tie down my feckin' house!

Whispered wrote: »
    It's not really that simple. I have promised to help someone do something and I hate to let them down. Ordinarily I wouldn't even consider it. As it is I've managed to cut my drive to a short one straight down a main road and back :)

I am sure they would understand, Whispered. As my boss loves to say, you are no use to anyone dead..I would be mortified if anyone ran risks for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Once again, interesting going to work in the morning. I presume nothing will be happening in South Kildare around 4:30am?

guil wrote: »
    Once again, interesting going to work in the morning. I presume nothing will be happening in South Kildare around 4:30am?

safe enough at that time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

I love strong wind. Crazy how much it blows around the truck though.

• Advertisement

From met eireann "extreme caution is advised tomorrow morning in coastal counties of Connaught,Clare and Kerry"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement