Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ali : Weds 19 Sept 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

Does anyone have the link to the map of the wind? You know the one with all the cool colours!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Downgrades on the Midnight TAF for South and East, quite an upgrade for the West!

Dublin max gust 58kts (down from 60kts)
    Shannon max gust 50kts (down from 58kts)
    Cork max gust 55kts (down from 58kts)

But then Knock, max gust of 70kts very high winds. Up from 58kts. Mayo possibly more in the firing line, and Knock is quite inland. 70kts equates to 130km/h, red warning criteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

RuthieRose wrote: »
    Does anyone have the link to the map of the wind? You know the one with all the cool colours!!

https://earth.nullschool.net/about.html

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

well now its been a while since I saw this on a TAF for Knock, gusts up to 70 knots tomorrow morning.... Ali is gonna pack a punch to the west, be aware.

TAF EIKN 182300Z 1900/1924 22018G30KT 9999 SCT012 BKN020
    BECMG 1900/1902 19015KT
    BECMG 1904/1906 17030G50KT -RA BKN012
    TEMPO 1906/1909 3000 RA BKN006
    BECMG 1906/1908 20030G60KT
    PROB40
    TEMPO 1906/1908 22035G70KT
    BECMG 1910/1912 25025G47KT SCT018 BKN020
    BECMG 1913/1915 24022G38KT
    TEMPO 1913/1918 -SHRA SCT018CB
    BECMG 1917/1919 24012KT

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Latest Arome 18Z showing Gusts in Galway getting up to 130 to 150 km/h

619_mvn2.png

7461_sfs6.png

• Registered Users Posts: 11,800 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

wife starts a new job tomorrow and son has to go to physio .... still said turn back and come home ... or dont even attempt the journey if it is going to be as bad as predicted - is it really really worth risking life? - tall lorries, trees down, electricity poles and wires down, flying debris everywhere, flooding, roofs and roofing tiles blowing off ... if its truly bad these are the dangers that can face you - especially with an orange warning like that - I have seen it pretty bad even on some yellow warnings before

• Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭pauldry

Near Red Alert for West.

Though sting is moving fast. Could happen earlier than planned

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Some gust ratios being predicted 30G60 and 35G70, that to me indicates stingjet like conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Some gust ratios being predicted 30G60 and 35G70, that to me indicates stingjet like conditions

All in moderate rain, that's a brutal morning for Mayo, Galway, Sligo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Also forward momentum sped up ? Few hours ahead of earlier TAFS?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Latest Arome 18Z showing Gusts in Galway getting up to 130 to 150 km/h

That's red level territory isn't it ? i.e school closures?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Just driven a couple of miles from work lots of leaves and a few branches. Assume the worst is tommorrow and have to be in at 8am !
    Sw donegal

The traffic railings at mountcharles are being blown around already so I've heard.

Could be.

Im staying home if its pure ****e n dangerous.

Cant risk lives

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭mattser

The thread title reads Storm Ali. Are we getting a storm or not ?
    If we are then just say so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Could this wind in Sligo be as bad as the storm Ophelia? (Kinda hoping I may get the day off work..)

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭xii

pauldry wrote: »
    Could be.

Im staying home if its pure ****e n dangerous.

Cant risk lives

Pity you cant show your Employer/School this thread as a reason for staying put.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

That's red level territory isn't it ? i.e school closures?

Would appear so. Knock TAF gust 70 kts , would assume stronger nearer the coasts.

Funny gettin day off work with that name

I reckon its 2hrs ahead of previous times 7am looks the start to me till 11am...i cud be wrong

ARPEGE 18Z

tempresult_szl3.gif

Max Wind speeds being predicted.( Can only zoom on the portion of Ireland displayed below )

7915_nkk8.png

17_tgv2.png

1149_wll2.png

3114_tfs8.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

High tide in Galway at 13:14 tomorrow, there'll be some wind asistance there too.

Well I've to be up for work at five, and to put the bins out, let's see how this pans out.

Would appear so. Knock TAF gust 70 kts , would assume stronger nearer the coasts.

any flights landing in Knock airport at those times - hate to be on them flights! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Well I've to be up for work at five, and to put the bins out, let's see how this pans out.

Ara feck it, just remembered I forgot to bring in the bins..oh well

just poked me head out the window here in county sligo - eerily still ! not a tree swaying at the moment .... hope this isnt the proverbial "Quiet before the Storm!" scenario !

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

any flights landing in Knock airport at those times - hate to be on them flights! :eek:

Any flights landing?!? There'd be no point going near knock with those winds!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭spookwoman

23.00 UTC
    amaHU8d.jpg

This seems like a 3 part event

Part 1 Heavy Rain Showers and Lightning associated with mini depression...already occurred

Part 2 Heavy Driving rain with strong wind....approaching west coast now

Part 3 Sting Jet following heavy rain bringing severe winds of over 130kph in West

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Idonotknow

How bad does it have to be for your employer to have to say stay home?

Idonotknow wrote: »
    How bad does it have to be for your employer to have to say stay home?

Red - i would hazard a guess with a lot of them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,512 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Looks at the moment as though damaging or extreme wind gusts would be hitting the west coast around 10:00h and lasting two or three hours, with that timing around an hour later for Sligo and south Donegal, and two hours later for north Ulster. With that duration, the worst of the winds should come and go during the typical working day, so it may be more of an issue where to park safely than the driving at either end, however I would strongly advise anyone who drives for a living or has a non-standard work shift or any reason to be on the roads in that time span to change plans and avoid being exposed to these gusts. The rate of development will be rapid after 0600h. I am not sure if we will get the full impact of this at buoy M6 which will be close to the low centre around 0800h. Now further south, I think the timing will be a little less sharp-edged, the winds are going to rise steadily after 0600h and peak for four to six hours perhaps 0800h to noon or beyond, and I don't think it will be quite as extreme as it's looking from Galway Bay north.

We can update that timing around 0600h (cannot be 100% confident on exact timing but a rough guide to where and when the strong winds are most likely) so you have some idea whether a morning drive is going to be safe or not, at the moment the severe winds are just starting to develop around 50 N 16 W. There's an ocean buoy at 49 N 16.5 W which has seen wind speeds steadily rising past few hours and recently (23z obs) southwest 32 knots -- this site has not reported yet for the past hour, will edit in the 00z report. (00z never appeared, 01z or 0200h was 33 knots, meanwhile, pressure falling rapidly at M6).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement