Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ali : Weds 19 Sept 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭highdef

Shn99 wrote: »
    Ara feck it, just remembered I forgot to bring in the bins..oh well
    There's still plenty of time

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭spookwoman

01:00 UTC
    sz3ptYT.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

Must turn the trampoline when i get home at 7am

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Heavy rain in tuam now. Wind hasn't picked up yet. On nights here hoping to be home before the rough winds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Nem tudom

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Liffey4A

Very calm here in Dublin airport

• Registered Users Posts: 14,512 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

00z ICON combined with obs from M6 buoy have caused me to move up the timing by one hour for potential damaging wind gusts:

west coast Mayo and Galway onset around 0830h, peak 0930h-1030h, easing 1200h

Sligo and Donegal Bay onset around 0930h, peak 1100h, easing 1400h

north Ulster onset around 1030h, peak noon to 1 p.m., easing 1500-1600h

(by easing, I mean strongest winds dropping back below damage potential gusts).

peak gusts probably 130 km/hr but some potential here for higher as this storm is "bombing out" rapidly. Unfortunately the M6 buoy lost its wind sensors at the 02z (0300h) report but the pressure fall was 4.2 mb from previous hour when wind was reported as south 20 knots.

Stronger winds are being reported southwest of Kerry in the 35 knot range.

My advice would be to stay off the roads in Connacht, west Munster and west Ulster especially after (to be cautious) 0730h coastal to 0900h further east, and expect bad conditions until mid to late afternoon. That might be a bit wider a time interval than what nature will provide but this certainly looks to have potential to bring down trees and loose objects like slates. All construction sites should be fully secured at first opportunity.

This looks like a very robust orange warning situation developing for west and north, and for exposed locations like say Newport or parts of Donegal, possibly a red alert situation locally.

Will this level of disruption spread into midlands, Leinster and east Munster? Probably a few isolated damaging gusts all over those regions, timing close to mid-day (late morning east Munster). It likely won't be more than yellow alert conditions there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Liffey4A wrote: »
    Very calm here in Dublin airport
    I can't believe it, wind was roaring and shaking my roof in Bray going to bed at 11 pm, I was wondering if there was any point in going to the airport, woke up at 3 to total calm, fingers crossed it holds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

The Irish Lights buoys each have their own live Twitter feeds. Finnis and WT1 buoys will be interesting to watch.

https://www.irishlights.ie/technology-data-services/metocean-charts.aspx

https://cilpublic.cil.ie/metocean/

Strangely, Sligo Airport TAF doesn't go too high on the winds this morning. 56 kts the highest gust. I think it'll be more than that.

TAF EISG 190200Z 1903/1912 13010KT 9999 SCT020
    BECMG 1904/1906 17028G46KT
    TEMPO 1904/1909 6000 RA SCT008 BKN012
    BECMG 1906/1908 20028G56KT PROB30
    TEMPO 1906/1908 4000 +RA
    BECMG 1907/1909 24028G56KT
    BECMG 1910/1912 25022G40KT=

Pressure warning for pilots out for Shannon FIR. Don't see these too often.

EISN PR WRNG 01 VALID 190130/190730 EISN
    SURFACE PRESSURE IS EXPECTED TO PASS THROUGH THE VALUES 997HPA AND 981HPA IN THE SHANNON FIR DURING THE FORECAST PERIOD NW OF LINE N5140 W01500 - N5425 W00810=

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Rain eased off in tuam but wind is picking up slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Mace Head and Sherkin gusting 40 kts in 5 am reports. Fastnet 42 gust 50 kts, but it's way above the surface.

Kerry Airport up to 35 kts now

SPECI EIKY 190408Z AUTO 20023G35KT 9999 RA SCT033/// BKN043/// OVC049/// 15/11 Q0995=

• Registered Users Posts: 14,527 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Not much to speak of in Galway City, just rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Liffey4A

Storm delayed or not as bad as forecast?
    I was expecting winds to have picked up considerably around the country by now.

Most reports are quite tame?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Very windy in Clare/Co.Limerick but nothing out of the ordinary for a winter storm (other than it being a bit early in the year).

Very little detail on the news. Is it expected to get worse?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

Wind picked up noticeably there in Cork around 05:30. Heavy rain just started too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,512 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Storm is still developing, expect a rapid increase in wind speeds on west coast after 0600h, the centre of the low is currently passing the M6 buoy located west of Galway Bay. The winds will be very gusty when they develop, so expect intervals of relative calm and other times with significant damage potential. It won't just blow constantly for 3-4 hours. That in itself makes driving more of a challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Already windy in south Dublin.picked up in the last 15 minutes or so

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Wind increasing at Shannon and Cork airports (24kts no gust, and 24kts gust 39kts respectively). Knock also back online with a, 17kt South Easterly and heavy rain reported at 6am.

Meanwhile the wind is quite audible here in Galway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Fitzo123

Getting very wet and windy in Sligo town. Think this will catch a lot unaware.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

And 6am TAF's released.

Dublin expecting a max gust of 55kts (down from 57kts)
    Cork expecting a max gust of 55kts (no change)
    Shannon expecting a max gust of 50kts (no change)
    Knock expecting a max gust of 70kts (no change)

Looks fairly locked in now given the onslaught has occured. Let's play wait and see. I post this as a monster gust occurs outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

WOW! Ali came in without knocking... WOW... Woke me up a few minutes ago with a great roar....West Mayo etc etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Storm is still developing, expect a rapid increase in wind speeds on west coast after 0600h, the centre of the low is currently passing the M6 buoy located west of Galway Bay. The winds will be very gusty when they develop, so expect intervals of relative calm and other times with significant damage potential. It won't just blow constantly for 3-4 hours. That in itself makes driving more of a challenge.

anyone driving in this is an eetit

Thought you sad 10 am ish?

Sorry, not really awake yet!

JCX BXC wrote: »
    And 6am TAF's released.

Dublin expecting a max gust of 55kts (down from 57kts)
    Cork expecting a max gust of 55kts (no change)
    Shannon expecting a max gust of 50kts (no change)
    Knock expecting a max gust of 70kts (no change)

Looks fairly locked in now given the onslaught has occured. Let's play wait and see. I post this as a monster gust occurs outside.

55 is still what about 100km/h so it's safe to say everyone is going to get some sort of punch from Ali

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Winds gusting around 70 km/h here near Tralee atm , rain.

Bar 991.2 hPa Falling Rapidly

Possible squall line developing off the Kerry coast. Winds SSW atm, strongest winds will veer more SW soon.

rafales_uk_jxg2.png

sPy23Sc.png

https://twitter.com/BallybunionBuoy/status/1042279304560816129

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

55 is still what about 100km/h so it's safe to say everyone is going to get some sort of punch from Ali

Were you waiting all week to say that? ☺

Time to hit the road for Galway, a little later than planned due to Orange level bin rocks being hard to find.
    Some stronger gusts in east Galway now with the front door creaking, and the damn gate rattling.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Very windy at the moment in ballincollig cork, woke me up :mad:

Were you waiting all week to say that? ☺

😂😂 well spotted

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Just breezy, for now, in Dublin 16.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement