Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ali : Weds 19 Sept 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭RedPeppers

km79 wrote: »
    Nothing to speak of in east Galway yet
    About 40km inland of Galway bay so hoping that is far enough to escape the worst of it

I’m north Galway and we’re getting severe gusts atm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Strong gusts in Galway...storm could be quite damaging...considering its still so early into autumn and nearly all the trees still in leaf

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Burts Bee

Jeepers! Giving it socks just now. North Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

Very windy in Galway now. Not raining. The trees are being tested for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Graces7 wrote: »
    amen to that... very bad here now.. roof creaking ... thud bang wallop ....west mayo offshore island.

Reminds of the Breastplate of Saint Patrick ... "The whirling wind's tempestuous shocks.." He knew what he was talking about,,

LOUD bang on the roof.... Getting worse here. suddenly ramped up

Take care Grace and hope the animals are safe and sound. Have a stray lodging with us overnight. He ain’t goin nowhere till after 11am!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

About 40km inland of Galway bay so hoping that is far enough to escape the worst of it

Gusty here but was expecting something bigger to be honest. First flop of the season? :rolleyes:

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Hooter23 wrote: »
    Strong gusts in Galway...storm could be quite damaging...considering its still so early into autumn and nearly all the trees still in leaf

I was nervous of the big trees when driving into Galway this morning, small braches evrywhere. I would guess there will be some obstacles on my way home later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Best of luck to you and your kind Sycamore tree!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

truly appalling now. shock after shock of unbearably sudden loud gusts. The body reacts, flinches without permission! Cat on the bed wakes up just to turn round and curl up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Gusty here but was expecting something bigger to be honest. First flop of the season? :rolleyes:

Good !
    I hope Sunday is a bigger flop as we are flying back into Shannon that night

Sundew wrote: »
    Take care Grace and hope the animals are safe and sound. Have a stray lodging with us overnight. He ain’t goin nowhere till after 11am!

staying firmly pit I can assure you. I did go out to get the last cat in and had a look at the oce an but that is that. Dratted bed is a divan so cannot hide under it. :eek:
    The sky is bright amazingly.

and thank you re the stray...He knew where to come..

Oneiric 3 wrote: »

come here and say that! swathes of water almost horizontal past the glass door and ears almost popping.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Suddenly picked up in Cork city centre, house creaking and can hear bins being toppled.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Suddenly picked up in Cork city centre, house creaking and can hear bins being toppled.

Was just looking st my window and saw a jogger (yes a jogger) get hit with a falling branch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

Was just looking st my window and saw a jogger (yes a jogger) get hit with a falling branch.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭donal.hunt

igCorcaigh wrote: »

Are they ok? Do they need medical assistance? Ring 112 even if you're unsure (if the person is ok, they can cancel the ambulance call).

Malayalam wrote: »
    Feck, it's getting really windy here now (NW 200mASL) - whole house creaking, small branches especially willow littering the place, really loud with sudden gusts that completely swirl the trees and shrubs. Kind of scary. I'm supposed to drive out to work in a couple of hours in a tiny car. Hmmm? Don't know what to do about that. Is it fast moving, will it have passed the nw 20 miles inland area soon? Or is this just the beginning?

stay home if in doubt. this is really extreme weather

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Peak gusts now West of Galway. Reports of several trees down in & around the city. Just going to walk the dogs - luckily it's low tide

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭chilipepper

Starting to get some damaging gusts in east clare now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

donal.hunt wrote: »
    Are they ok? Do they need medical assistance? Ring 112 even if you're unsure (if the person is ok, they can cancel the ambulance call).

They are fine, thankfully. Two people ran over to them but they got up right away. They were lucky it wasn’t a very big branch but it still hit them on the shoulder. They jogged on anyway after a few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭dmc17

donal.hunt wrote: »

Obviously not ok if they're out jogging in a storm!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Gone really wild in Galway city now, reports of trees down everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Good !
    I hope Sunday is a bigger flop as we are flying back into Shannon that night

So do i as racing on sunday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

Best of luck to you and your kind Sycamore tree!
    Most of us can handle it. Might lose a few unwanted branches but should be grand. It's the black spot I am more worried about! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭JaMarcus

Our bird house blew over. So yeah, it's getting pretty serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

I knew I shouldn't have typed that
    Very strong gusts now
    House creaking

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

Graces7 wrote: »
    stay home if in doubt. this is really extreme weather

2 trees so far snapped in half and down in garden. Have a lot of trees here. Will see how it is when time to drive. Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement