Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ali : Weds 19 Sept 2018

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Nm.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Can’t imagine the west if wild here in Meath. Neighbors sunflowers down. Any map images of this storm moving in to the country-you know the one that was available when Ophelia was coming. Sorry not explaining oneself properly. What’s the difference in calling red warning for Ophelia and staying with Orange for Ali? Just curious. Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Yup no power in school it’s pitch black. Oh well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Jpmarn wrote: »
    Do any of you remember that we had Storm Hector last June?

Ya my tent literally disappeared from the garden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,800 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

8.27am that was a big one just then! , woke me up!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Kutebride wrote: »
    What’s the difference in calling red warning for Ophelia and staying with Orange for Ali? Just curious. Thanks in advance.

As Ophelia approached Ireland it was still a hurricane. This is (just) a storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Very windy and torrential rain, but the wind is not a patch on Ophelia. All depends whereabouts in the country you were/are

Athlone

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Daffodil.d

Im in Waterford. It has been just breezy all morning but it just ramped up a little while ago and the house is creaking and the street lamp accross the road is shaking. I picked up my phone to see were we still just in a yellow warning because it seems like it should be more.

What’s the difference in calling red warning for Ophelia and staying with Orange for Ali? Just curious. Thanks in advance.

Gusts in excess on 130km/h warrants a red. We hit 130km/h here in Galway at 7.30am. I’m personally not going anywhere, and I hope no one is seriously hurt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

My girlfriend just sent me a video of a trampoline (with the netting on) being battered by the wind in the backgarden of her house.
    For context, noone in the house owns a trampoline.

Cork City.

Its not a storm until a trampoline rehomes itself

Windy in Co Kilkenny but not severe, so far anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

In Mobile Home down in wexford at the moment. Winds have really picked up last hour giving us a few shakes, but not even half as bad as Ophelia.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Wind here to rival ophelia in East Galway. Had to wrangle up the bins, bbq cover and plant pots, gusts actually nearly took me off my feet. Was holding the patio door for one gust and both door and me went swinging into the fence. How this isn't a red alert I don't know, I'll be dodging trees later driving to work :-(

There could be accidents yet, people I was talking to yesterday weren't taking it serious saying it was only a yellow alert (Galway is orange).

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

2 big trees snapped in 2 up the road
    Debris everywhere
    But it didn’t stop the elderly lady up the road getting her walk in
    But sure she was grand as she has her high vis jacket on

I swear the biggest danger to human life at times like this is sheer and utter stupidity like that

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭cdsb46

Ventusky https://www.ventusky.com/?p=53.55;-8.34;7&l=gust is suggesting gust of 160km for Achill around 9am :O

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Can’t imagine the west if wild here in Meath. Neighbors sunflowers down. Any map images of this storm moving in to the country-you know the one that was available when Ophelia was coming. Sorry not explaining oneself properly. What’s the difference in calling red warning for Ophelia and staying with Orange for Ali? Just curious. Thanks in advance.

windy

theres also an app in the appstore so you can watch on your phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭robclay26

Jpmarn wrote: »
    Do any of you remember that we had Storm Hector last June?

Won’t forget that one! Re-roofing house and up during night to go to maternity hospital and trees down and when I got home the covers coming off the roof! Disaster of a night

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Aside from the wind (now gusting up to 56 knots) the morning has an almost summerlike quality about it. Blue sky and that golden quality morning sun that you often see in June and July. Strange combo.

New Moon

• Advertisement

Hearing ambulance sirens. Angry that Met Eireann are now warning of gusts in excess of 130km/h but not raising the warning. A lot of people don’t understand the numbers. They rely on the color warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Gone very calm in Loughrea.

Real summery type of sky and golden sunshine. The doggies have been let out to explore the garden. Bliss, we must be thankful for such small mercies

km79 wrote: »
    Debris everywhere

I swear the biggest danger to human life at times like this is sheer and utter stupidity like that
    Did you go out and 'tut tut' at her while wagging your judgemental finger? :P

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Swellan

Has been windy all morning but significantly stronger gusts have now started in Cavan town. Trees being bent over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

km79 wrote: »
    Debris everywhere

The falling branches will see the high vis jacket and avoid hitting her.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,645 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Relatively calm up here in Derry.
    Assume its to get worse later?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Bit gusty in Kingswood, Dublin 24. Walked to work. Left the motorbike at home. Even though its only a 10 min spin. Nice refreshing air to start the morning! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Gone rough now in kildare , strong gusts and very heavy rain , sky darkening more and more..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

GBX wrote: »
    Bit gusty in Kingswood, Dublin 24. Walked to work. Left the motorbike at home. Even though its only a 10 min spin. Nice refreshing air to start the morning! :D

Motorbike tests in cavan today. Nice weather for it.

• Advertisement

Zapperzy wrote: »
    Wind here to rival ophelia in East Galway. Had to wrangle up the bins, bbq cover and plant pots, gusts actually nearly took me off my feet. Was holding the patio door for one gust and both door and me went swinging into the fence. How this isn't a red alert I don't know, I'll be dodging trees later driving to work :-(

There could be accidents yet, people I was talking to yesterday weren't taking it serious saying it was only a yellow alert (Galway is orange).

The gusts here are coming pretty much as MTC forecast earlier; that is, in sort of occasional waves rather than being a consistent feature.

New Moon

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement