Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ali : Weds 19 Sept 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Had a lovely walking commute in Galway. Would have avoided except it's a compulsory attend and it's not called off :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Sure we are the wrong side of the country. "To hell or to Connacht" still applies!! If it was Dublin it would have been a red warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

YFlyer wrote: »
    Very bright, warm and abit breezing here at the University of Limerick.

Getting darker now, still dry and wind mild.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

RoisinD wrote: »
    When they give out 'too many' colour warnings they are wrong and when they don't they are wrong. Cannot win.

The Irish mentality I found is
    Yellow - Be grand
    Orange - Be grand
    Red - Sit in, have a cuppa, follow the news

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Met Eireann getting a roasting on local radio in Galway now from parents and schools etc, they are saying the lives of their children and the public are at risk from trees and branches, I have never seen so many trees down in Galway City and debris flying around the place its lethal out there now.
    Absolutely ridiculous. This storm is pretty much panning out as Met Éireann have been predicting for the last two days.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

When they give out 'too many' colour warnings they are wrong and when they don't they are wrong. Cannot win.

Exactly. They need to do away with the warnings IMO. Tell people what's going to happen, consequences of what will happen should you leave your house and then it's down to the people to decide. I recall people saying it was ridiculous to issue the red warnings over the last year because it didn't affect them(on the other side of the country).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Sure we are the wrong side of the country. "To hell or to Connacht" still applies!! If it was Dublin it would have been a red warning.

No it wouldn't of been a red if it was Dublin as the wind speeds are not hitting the red level warning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

Just horrible about the poor woman in the caravan :(

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/caravan-with-woman-50s-inside-blown-off-cliff-in-co-galway-37332432.html

Electricity gone here too now. Wind comes in waves, with quieter times then crazy times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Might get the red warning now. If its true that lady died I'll bet met are going to get a right b*lloxing over it.
    https://twitter.com/john_duffman/status/1042326245554487296

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭channaigh

Electricity gone North Kilkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 12 snic

Totally agree. Damned if they do damned if they don't. Don't understand why people can't make the decision themselves to keep children at home from school etc. Lots I'd roads closed in Galway now due to falling trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

mental in galway trees down everywhere in galway city and county

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭RoisinD

If their kids lives were at risk, why did they bring them to school. People are so stupid, expect everyone else to make their decisions and make no responsible call themselves

Exactly. Why can't people take personal responsibility? Some round here were doing the school run, in an area pretty used to storms, knowing that the winds were going to get worse (and they were pretty bad then). Yet they made the decision to go.

NWClare

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

I agree with parents annoyed in Galway. I’m in Galway and no way am I taking mine to school. However, unless there is a red warning it is business as usual, no matter what it is like outside. I’m currently the one getting guff for overreacting, lots of neighbors kids are gone to school. Sadly, often in Ireland people will only react if told too. Those of us who make the decision ourselves are ‘making a fuss’.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

All these reports and no photos or videos. If only people had a small easily accessible camera in their pockets at all times....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Ppl are wondering would it be a red alert if it was mainly affecting Dublin not the West

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Got a gust of 124 km/hr in Castlebar, 24mm of rain since midnight as well.

More homes without power now in Westport as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

4th ambulance i heard there this is waaay worse than ophelia scary now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Met forecast issued at 5.30 this morning:

19 September 2018 05:23
    Today
    Storm Ali will bring very windy conditions to all areas today with strong to gale force south to southwest winds later veering westerly. There will be severe or possibly damaging gusts for a time this morning especially in the west and northwest. Extreme caution is advised in the coastal districts of Clare, Connacht and Donegal this morning. Squally showery rain will affect many areas at first, with heavy bursts in places. The rain will clear quickly eastwards, later this morning however, with sunshine and blustery showers following behind for the afternoon. Turning cooler, with afternoon temperatures of 14 to 17 degrees.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

spookwoman wrote: »
    Might get the red warning now. If its true that lady died I'll bet met are going to get a right b*lloxing over it.
    https://twitter.com/john_duffman/status/1042326245554487296

No it won't. Sadly a death doesn't cause a red warning to be raised.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

I’ve just arrived in work after my usual 3k walk in Galway City. Jesus fu*king Christ – that was hairy! I’ve never experienced such strong gusts before, I was knocked over once and was holding onto poles/railing a couple of more times. Saw a couple of big trees knocked and as I approached my office I heard what sounded like a shotgun, looked to my left and about 100ft away there was a massive old oak falling over. Crazy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Two trolleys blown into the middle of a busy road where I live. Dragged them both off the road and threw them over a small wall into the park, hopefully they won't fly over the 6 inch wall :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Knock gusting 124 km/hr on the 09.00 report.

Claremorris and Shannon 109 km/hr.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    I’ve just arrived in work after my usual 3k walk in Galway City. Jesus fu*king Christ – that was hairy! I’ve never experienced such strong gusts before, I was knocked over once and was holding onto poles/railing a couple of more times. Saw a couple of big trees knocked and as I approached my office I heard what sounded like a shotgun, looked to my left and about 100ft away there was a massive old oak falling over. Crazy!

Right, and like you, many others will have experienced the same. And if you were in the wrong place at the wrong time. The storms only begun.

Honestly considering the reports in connaught this morning I would think twice about leaving my house

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭lavinia hathaway

snic wrote: »
    Totally agree. Damned if they do damned if they don't. Don't understand why people can't make the decision themselves to keep children at home from school etc. Lots I'd roads closed in Galway now due to falling trees.

In Galway as well and the schools are still open despite the severe gales. I rang our school first thing after seeing the state of the place outside and told them we were staying put. I was more afraid of the debris and trees than the wind!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Shannon METAR - 40 gusting 58kts!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

spookwoman wrote: »

Why should they? Well publicised Orange warning clearly stating gusts of 130km/h. No one in their right mind has any business being in a caravan on a cliff in those conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭OldRio

snic wrote: »
    This x100... Unfortunately people cannot make decisions anymore. Its always someone else's responsibility and someone else's fault.
    Anyway trees down. Roads shut.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement