Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ali : Weds 19 Sept 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

I wonder how Grace7 is doing?

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

unreal lost two trees so far garden furniture i had to rescue in lull weighed down with stones no bother big stone threw on ground

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Any sign of a sting jet?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Castlebar getting battered now. Serious gusts.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭lavinia hathaway

So the parents make the call, is not that hard to be responsible

No,but my point is, once schools are open, technically the children are supposed to be there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭RoisinD

spookwoman wrote: »
    If schools etc are still open it's probably no going to cross someones mind that their caravan is going to get blown off a cliff.

Sorry but if you have been any where near any cliff on any kind of windy day you should know the last place you should be is in a caravan. I am sorry the woman has died but to try and hold others responsible for the decisions I, you or anyone else makes is wrong.

The winds have been extremely strong now for some hours so if I make the decision to go out it is my responsibility and mine alone. I don't need to see any colour warnings or wind speeds to tell me it is unsafe. All about personal responsibility

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

They are obliged to open unless the Dept of Education states otherwise. The decision is ultimately down to parents in these cases which is why it always causes problems with some going and others like me refusing on health and safety grounds.

That's a complete cop out. They are responsible for the safety of the pupils and staff of their schools and should, indeed must, prioritise that.

The Dept of Education wouldn't dare to punish any school manager for putting the safety of his pupils first.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

No,but my point is, once schools are open, technically the children are supposed to be there.

And the staff
    Who also may have kids in the school ............

These last 2 hours are worse than anything Ophelia threw at us
    Literally

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭barneyrub

Feels very bad here in sligo.
    lots of debris from trees around the town.

Lots of trees down around the county and power outages.

Def feels like it should be a red warning

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Dublin Airport here now VERY windy, concerning how windy its gotten little shower passing as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Ah lads, come on FFS!

If a person has died, a bit of respect in the minutes after its reported, regardless of the circumstances (which none of us knows about)!

This is the Weather forum... It's not After Hours!!!

There isn't any confirmation yet that she was inside is there?
    Either way you're absolutely right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

A storm this early in the autumn also brings down more trees as deciduous trees survive wind by not having leaves in the windier parts of the year. They're usually much harder wood than evergreens.

You'll see a lot more branches and debris than you would with a similar storm in winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

km79 wrote: »
    And the staff
    Who also may have kids in the school ............

These last 2 hours are worse than anything Ophelia threw at us
    Literally

Just going from memory, but I think the top gust at Athenry was 50 knots during Ophelia? So far, it is 52 knots in Athenry, so unless there has been stronger gusts since 9am, then not much difference between the two.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

This is like Ophelia. Those winds are treacherous! I'm very surprised there wasn't a red warning, unless they just underestimated, after all the hype for Ophelia. My cat is out in it 😥

the person in caravan was swiss accirding to galway bay fm

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭lavinia hathaway

Turnipman wrote: »
    That's a complete cop out. They are responsible for the safety of the pupils and staff of their schools and should, indeed must, prioritise that.

The Dept of Education wouldn't dare to punish any school manager for putting the safety of his pupils first.

I totally agree with you but that is the way it is. Mine will be marked absent today because I didn't go out in dangerous conditions. I personally don't care about that aspect, however others feel differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Was about to say that it seems to be less gusty here near the racecourse in Galway, but then a strong gust comes along. Hopefully the worst is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭ace_irl

Turnipman wrote: »

This is very true, when I was in secondary school, my school closed last minute due to snow because it wasn't safe for students to make the journey. The principal decided after we called her from the bus. Schools have a responsibility to the students and they should not be punished for making a decision to close when it's for the safety of the students and the teachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

77 knots at Mace Head at 9 am.

PS: We need two threads: Technical and Chat/Bickering.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

the person in caravan was swiss accirding to galway bay fm

Oh... Perhaps was unaware of the warnings :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭stooge

Heavy wooden gates blown off the hinges at the side of the house. to put in context. The hinges (x3) were held by three 4inch screws each. Previous storms didnt even budge the gates. Co. Roscommon.

Large branches and leaves down all over the backroad, mainroads seem relatively fine apart from a good few wheelie bins.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭spookwoman

RoisinD wrote: »
    Sorry but if you have been any where near any cliff on any kind of windy day you should know the last place you should be is in a caravan. I am sorry the woman has died but to try and hold others responsible for the decisions I, you or anyone else makes is wrong.

The winds have been extremely strong now for some hours so if I make the decision to go out it is my responsibility and mine alone. I don't need to see any colour warnings or wind speeds to tell me it is unsafe. All about personal responsibility

We don' know why the caravan was there, we don't know anything so don't be so quick to have a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,800 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Winds abating here in south sligo where I am now.,. A lot calmer than it was even though still windy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

Interesting drive to work in Galway. Lots of trees and branches down!
    As bad as I have seen in many years. Seems to be easing now.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭monster1

I'm trapped! Should be on the way to Dublin Airport. This is in Ros/Galway border

getting worse in claregalway violent gusts some roof tiles gone..

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭ace_irl

Winds coming in bursts here in Dublin 1. There was some heavy rain about 5 minutes ago that seams to have eased.

The tree outside my office window is now permanently leaning towards the road even when the wind isn't bashing it. The wind is coming in bursts with a calm period in between. Really interesting to watch, I might have to move myself away from the window if I want to get any work done today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

monster1 wrote: »
    I'm trapped! Should be on the way to Dublin Airport. This is in Ros/Galway border

trapped how?

I presume you're somewhat safe considering you're posting here?

Do we need to ring the authorities? :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Think we have peaked here in Waterford City. Winds dying down a little and the sun is out. Max gust of 96km/h recorded at Waterford Airport.

www.waterfordweather.com
    www.waterford-weather.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭monster1

kunlv.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement