Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ali : Weds 19 Sept 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

My workplace sent around an email yesterday stating it was an orange warning and that it's business as usual just take extra care driving to work.
    Anyone who doesn't show up gets put down as an unexcused absence and looses that quarter's bonus. People took risks driving in the snow during the red warning because they weren't clear on what would happen if they didn't show up due to lack of communication. Workers will take risks today to get to work for fear of repercussions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

monster1 wrote: »
    I'm trapped! Should be on the way to Dublin Airport. This is in Ros/Galway border

IMG]http://i65.tinypic.com/kunlv.jpg[/IMG

We had one of those here this morning and we're in Wexford!

Thankfully we have many helpful neighbours with many chainsaws and tractors

• Registered Users Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

lolo62 wrote: »
    This is like Ophelia. Those winds are treacherous! I'm very surprised there wasn't a red warning, unless they just underestimated, after all the hype for Ophelia. My cat is out in it ��

Completely agree - this feels worse than Ophelia to me, in Dublin anyway. Its extremely strong - I saw four trees down in Fairview park as well as several branches, and yet heaps of people walking through it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Even just looking at this picture (taken yesterday) from the Ploughing Championships, it would seem highly likely that some of those marquees may become airborne.

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/1042335427645136896

https://twitter.com/DSMsportsmktg/status/1042247892621320195

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

I'm trapped! Should be on the way to Dublin Airport. This is in Ros/Galway border

Theres a chance your flight will be delayed or even cancelled. What time is it due to leave?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭monster1

wexie wrote: »
    We had one of those here this morning and we're in Wexford!

Thankfully we have many helpful neighbours with many chainsaws and tractors

We tried With the chainsaw and the chain broke..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

WT1 buoy, just offshore Belmullet, reported an 82-knot gust earlier.

https://cilpublic.cil.ie/metocean/

461626.png

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Theres a chance your flight will be delayed or even cancelled. What time is it due to leave?

Picking somebody up so it's not too bad. Their flight is already delayed from Italy.

wexie wrote: »
    trapped how?

I presume you're somewhat safe considering you're posting here?

Do we need to ring the authorities? :pac:

If you would be so kind

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭RedPeppers

Worse than Ophelia here for sure 3 large trees down here it’s raging at the moment. North Galway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

South Rock buoy off the east Antrim coast reporting 59 gust 89 knots now.

My power just went in Claregalway.
    Was working from home for the day.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Wind has eased a little in Dublin 16.

Recent gust of 56kts at Dublin Bay Buoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Regarding the woman in the caravan, she could have been unwell or not heard the weather reports or maybe she listened to people downplaying it. I'm here listening to someone criticizing her. He drove to work during Ophelia.

I came very close to driving right into a fallen tree like that in the darkness after Ophelia.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,294 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

RedPeppers wrote: »
    Worse than Ophelia here for sure 3 large trees down here it’s raging at the moment. North Galway

Yeah definitely seems worse in mayo than Ophelia too. Trees down all over the gaff and one of the windows of my van got shattered shortly after I parked up for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Completely agree - this feels worse than Ophelia to me, in Dublin anyway. Its extremely strong - I saw four trees down in Fairview park as well as several branches, and yet heaps of people walking through it.

Yes people walking around as normal, I'm in Dublin too.. I went out to look for the cat and the back gate nearly took my leg off! When they made such a fuss about Ophelia and the snow (totally necessary I'm not complaining) people expect to be warned each time now and unless they are, just carry on regardless. Being inconsistent in issuing warnings is more dangerous than not issuing them at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭lavinia hathaway

My power just went in Claregalway.
    Was working from home for the day.

You poor thing! I still have mine for now but Galway getting a right battering and many are without power until this evening:(

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Liffey4A

Max gust of 77.2kph in Dundalk www.dundalkweather.net

Picking somebody up so it's not too bad. Their flight is already delayed from Italy.

Stay where you are for another couple of hours, or else youll only be chasing the storm to Dublin. They'll wait in safety at the Airport when they land.

Discretion is the better part of valour...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Derry reporting a gust of 72kts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

A tree down blocked my way off the mountain, returned home, then got a don't come in txt. stay safe peeps.

A strong smell of the sea hit me as I opened the door to go out first thing and I'm a long way from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Ramping up further now in Dublin 16. Some very strong gusts.
    Walked through the park by Nutgrove about an hour ago on the way and I don't think I've had winds throw me around like that since I was in primary school!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Nothing at all on Met Eireann twitter for past two hours....

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭davemc6832

Trees down in Letterkenny. Big one blocking entrance into my estate. Only drove pass where it fell few minutes before with the kids in the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Body recovered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

This wasn't a Red warning because it was mainly a western seaboard event.
    Met Eireann should be moved out of their cushy offices in Dublin and relocated to a manky office in Belmullet surrounded by loads of trees :D

In response to Dublin treating us like 2nd class citizens, we will rise up and stop the water pipe from the River Shannon from being built!! We will have the last laugh when the Jackeens are dying of thirst in the drought next year! :D:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Some really cool noises coming from the construction site beside the office.

Dublin 2

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

Ali is causing a few delays at Dublin airport too...

461630.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

A tree down blocked my way off the mountain, returned home, then got a don't come in txt. stay safe peeps.

A strong smell of the sea hit me as I opened the door to go out first thing and I'm a long way from it.
    Here it's the smell of pines and larch, incredibly strong on the air, because the trees are being blown asunder. Lovely smell.

• Advertisement

Body recovered.

R.I.P.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement