Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ali : Weds 19 Sept 2018

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

Malayalam wrote: »
    Here it's the smell of pines and larch, incredibly strong on the air, because the trees are being blown asunder. Lovely smell.

The car windscreen was covered in tree sap on the way in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭JaMarcus

Certainly sounds worse (from indoors) than Ophelia here in Dublin 18, but I'm in the top floor of an apartment building so it always sounds quite bad up high. We had a few trees down around here after Ophelia, so it'll be interesting to see what it's like this time around once it blows over (pun intended).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭RoisinD

spookwoman wrote: »
    We don' know why the caravan was there, we don't know anything so don't be so quick to have a go.

Was certainly not having a go but was trying to understand why such a risk would be taken and explaining about personal responsibility given your earlier comment 'I'll bet met are going to get a right b*lloxing over it'

Anyway I am out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 snic

Nuig students Union just emailed telling students who had not already travelled to campus to stay at home. Those on campus told to stay indoors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

The wind is after dying down here in Athlone all of a shot. It was getting pretty hairy there for a while, but it seems the worst is over for the midlands at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,301 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Tazio wrote: »
    Ali is causing a few delays at Dublin airport too...

461630.png

That's tried 3 times now to get in and couldn't. gone around again

• Registered Users Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

power gone untill at least 7pm in claregalway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

Yea just saw that... wonder how he's for fuel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Left the house at 8.30 to bring my son to school, just got back and its howling out there. Definitely feels stronger than Ophelia

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭CirrusBusiness

Trees down here just outside Carlow on the kildare side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Mace Head 79 knots at 10 am.
    Derry Eglington Airport 72 knots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Very dangerous gusts here in West Offaly over the past two hours,getting slightly less severe now.
    Reading about trees down blocking roads and putting people's lives in danger makes me angry as this can be avoided so easily by landowners cutting existing trees and not allowing new ones to grow on roadside hedges.Also every County Council should be prosecuting people who are responsible for those trees.If a roadside tree falls and kills someone it should be considered as manslaughter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭pad199207

Power gone here in South Wexford

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Awaaf

Pretty bad there for a while in Deansgrange. Not over yet. Just heard a plane overhead so not sure if they are using secondary runway (flight path is normally overhead for that runway).

PS Any timings for the time it's due to ease on the East Coast?

PPS getting bad again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭joeysoap

God love them. I would be scarred *****less to be in the air now. Never mind going around. No point going Cork , Shannon or Belfast either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,238 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

spookwoman wrote: »
    Might get the red warning now. If its true that lady died I'll bet met are going to get a right b*lloxing over it.

What would change if it was a red warning? Tow the caravan away somewhere else?

Met Eireann aren't the ones causing the damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,202 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

10am met report

Mace head gusting 79 knots(146km/h)
    Claremorris 62 knots
    Finner 61 knots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Radio just said galway city bus services cancelled until further notice. Going to be a lot of people stuck at work or trying to walk home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Mace Head 79 knots at 10 am.
    Derry Eglington Airport 72 knots.

Both break the 130kmh guideline for red warning (72knots is 133kmh from google). I wonder how long it will be before people start shouting at Met Eireann. Maybe we need to make a tv series on how hard it is to forecast the weather so people understand how difficult it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Tazio wrote: »
    Yea just saw that... wonder how he's for fuel?

There could be diversions to the UK. Cant see many going to Shannon if they cant get down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Hooter23

It seems when a storm is hyped up its turns out to be not that bad at all...and then the storms which are played down turn out to be much worse..:always seems to happen worst storms are always unexpected:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Fire crews attending an incident at Muskerry Terrace #Blarney #Cork where the felt roof was blown off one house and other roofs suffered structural damage. No injuries reported #StormAli https://t.co/VynxdT6WHT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

461631.jpg

Around again.

I was just outside there and found it hard to breath the gusts were that strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭zisdead

Big Tree's down in Clondakin. Can't post the pic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Back garden Co Galway pic. 5yo daughter gone into school through fallen tress, construction fences blowing around etc. At least she was in the car :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Fire crews attending an incident at Muskerry Terrace #Blarney #Cork where the felt roof was blown off one house and other roofs suffered structural damage. No injuries reported #StormAli https://t.co/VynxdT6WHT

Doesn't look like it would have taken much to blow that mess of a felt roof off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

This wasn't a Red warning because it was mainly a western seaboard event.
    Met Eireann should be moved out of their cushy offices in Dublin and relocated to a manky office in Belmullet surrounded by loads of trees :D

In response to Dublin treating us like 2nd class citizens, we will rise up and stop the water pipe from the River Shannon from being built!! We will have the last laugh when the Jackeens are dying of thirst in the drought next year! :D:pac:

That really annoys me.

There are trees down all over Dublin and the gusts are horrendous; I spotted four down in Fairview park.

"Dublin gets everything and we get nothing"

Facts obviously dont come into it......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    That really annoys me.

There are trees down all over Dublin and the gusts are horrendous; I spotted four down in Fairview park.

"Dublin gets everything and we get nothing"

Facts obviously dont come into it......

There were strong elements of tongue-in-cheek in that post. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Trees down all around East Meath, be careful! Watched one just talk on some sheep!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭_Puma_

The worst thing was this was forecast for the west coast. Most certainly a red warning should have been issued for western seaboard yesterday evening by Met Eireann but it was only upgraded to an Orange after the storm was hitting in the morning. That is not forecasting that is reacting reports. Somebody from Met Eireann was on over the phone to Galway Bay FM and he sounded surprised when the presenter was reading out the reports he was getting.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement