Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ali : Weds 19 Sept 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

There were strong elements of tongue-in-cheek in that post. :p

Sincere apologies.

Storm has me on edge!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Mace Head cannot dictate a red warning (unless we get reduced areas of warnings, i.e. red warning for coastal perimeter around Mace Head area etc.). It always has winds in storms notably higher.

As much as people are baying for a red out there, the 10am reports, like the 9am ones paint a different picture.

Majority in yellow, a couple in orange. Athenry in Galway, where many why isn't this red coming from gusting only 102km/h.

The trees at full leaf are making Ali into a monster she technically isn't in majority of areas. Perhaps storms during full leaf should be on a different warning system due to anything above 90km/h causing havoc.

Getting the worst gusts of the day here in the last 20 minutes. Swept a blue wheelie bin 10 feet into the air and now into the next field

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

The peak has passed Mace Head now. Mean winds down from a peak of 35 m/s to 20 m/s now.

metspedmwebsml.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Trees down all around East Meath, be careful! Watched one just talk on some sheep!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

_Puma_ wrote: »
    .....only upgraded to an Orange after the storm was hitting in the morning.

That is not true/not the case. Orange warning was issued yesterday morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

John.Icy wrote: »
    The trees at full leaf are making Ali into a monster she technically isn't in majority of areas. Perhaps storms during full leaf should be on a different warning system due to anything above 90km/h causing havoc.

Absolutely spot on. The trees are like giant sails in full leaf. Makes a huge difference.
    I should know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭JaMarcus

Watched one just talk on some sheep!

That's genuinely astonishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Mace Head cannot dictate a red warning (unless we get reduced areas of warnings, i.e. red warning for coastal perimeter around Mace Head area etc.). It always has winds in storms notably higher.

As much as people are baying for a red out there, the 10am reports, like the 9am ones paint a different picture.

Majority in yellow, a couple in orange. Athenry in Galway, where many why isn't this red coming from gusting only 102km/h.

I suppose thats winning and losing and argument at the same time.

People really dont care about meterological categories; they care about how dangerous it is.

Status Red is a 'stay at home' storm; and this is a 'stay at home' storm. Everything after that is just noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

DOCARCH wrote: »
    That is not true/not the case. Orange warning was issued yesterday morning.

Issued yesterday morning updated yesterday afternoon and wording updated this morning plenty of ample time for the warnings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭randomname2005

But others much closer to 130, Newport: 124, Claremorris 115, Knock airport, 117.
    If public services stop (Bus Eireann Galway City for example), NUIG are telling students that have not left home to stay home, others on campus to stay indoors, then that seems to me like a rare, severe weather event.
    I don't think it should have been a red warning, if the forecast didn't indicate this, but I can understand why people think it should be/have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Tombo2001 wrote: »

People really dont care about meterological categories; they care about how dangerous it is.

Status Red is a 'stay at home' storm; and this is a 'stay at home' storm. Everything after that is just noise.

This times 100. There is no way anybody should have been out and about in Galway this morning. If the warnings are supposed to be based on the risk to life then they got this one wrong, badly wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

The worst thing was this was forecast for the west coast. Most certainly a red warning should have been issued for western seaboard yesterday evening by Met Eireann but it was only upgraded to an Orange after the storm was hitting in the morning. That is not forecasting that is reacting reports. Somebody from Met Eireann was on over the phone to Galway Bay FM and he sounded surprised when the presenter was reading out the reports he was getting.

This is categorically incorrect. I have a screenshot from yesterday afternoon timestamped 14.45 showing an orange warning for the entire western coast, border counties, Dublin, Meath, and Kildare. Perhaps the current conditions warrant red, but don't claim that the orange warning was only issued this morning as the storm hit.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Wind has picked up again a little in Dublin 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

ZX7R wrote: »
    Issued yesterday morning updated yesterday afternoon and wording updated this morning plenty of ample time for the warnings
    I think we can all guess the type of parents who rang in to a 2nd rate radio show to voice their complaints...

'Well Passsh...'

New Moon

Ploughing not opening now until 12 (at earliest), possibly 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Ploughing delayed another hour apparently!

The worst thing was this was forecast for the west coast. Most certainly a red warning should have been issued for western seaboard yesterday evening by Met Eireann but it was only upgraded to an Orange after the storm was hitting in the morning. That is not forecasting that is reacting reports. Somebody from Met Eireann was on over the phone to Galway Bay FM and he sounded surprised when the presenter was reading out the reports he was getting.

They misjudged completely the worst storm in this area last year for nearly 30 years(thats alot of storms to pick from) with Eleanor with Knock then gusting 153km/hr. It was supposed to miss the area but hit it direct on(enough to remove two bay slatted roofs in one piece), and they gave the red warning to the north west after it had passed and massive damage done. That storm was in Cavan before we got the red warning.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Breezy in Limerick, nothing more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Still windy in cork city but calmed down a bit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Met Eireann weather forecast has just been on TV. They said there have been gusts of "violent storm force 11" in the west this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

461631.jpg

Around again.

I was just outside there and found it hard to breath the gusts were that strong.

And another go-around just now... think that may be 4?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Liffey4A

Max Gust now 93.3km/h in Dundalk @10:26
    www.dundalkweather.net

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

HighLine wrote: »
    461631.jpg

Around again.

I was just outside there and found it hard to breath the gusts were that strong.

Its off to manchester now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2018/0919/994653-storm-ali/

Caravan blown off a cliff in Galway. Woman killed!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

HighLine wrote: »

Will be on his 5th this time round.

You can listen in here,

https://www.liveatc.net/search/?icao=dub

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Dundalk taking huge gusts right now..
    The worst thing is I can hear kids out in the local school yard.... Screaming and having great Craíc!?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Proper windy in Newport, Mayo this morning, definitely on the upper end of an orange warning, and more than likely hit the red warning criteria on a few occasions.
    The drive to work in Castlebar was not fun, especially in a van. Roads were littered with debris and plenty of mid sized branches down.
    Sitting here in work now and all the interior doors are rattling even though we have no windows or doors open.

Like the majority of people here I would have stayed at home but my employer would not allow it as it's an orange warning and business as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

I just had to go out and gather up all our plants.

That’s when I thought I better check on here.

I didn’t think we were due anything newsworthy..

RIP to that poor lady this morning..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Tombo2001 wrote: »

Well Met Eireann are a meteorological body?

The hand holding needed by the general Irish public when it comes to deciding what the weather is at is beggars belief.

Anyway, when ME release reds the abuse they get is huge aswell. Oh sure it's just abit of wind! Etc.

You can't win in this country. We're a laughing stock when it comes to the weather.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement