Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ali : Weds 19 Sept 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭_Puma_

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    This is categorically incorrect. I have a screenshot from yesterday afternoon timestamped 14.45 showing an orange warning for the entire western coast, border counties, Dublin, Meath, and Kildare. Perhaps the current conditions warrant red, but don't claim that the orange warning was only issued this morning as the storm hit.

Apologies you are right. The orange was issued yesterday. There was no word on local reports on the update until this morning when the storm was hitting so the problem is more with how these alerts are getting reported.

President from NUIG was just on the local radio saying they decided to stay open yesterday evening because it was only orange but that it was far worse than they anticipated with a lot of trees down on campus that have stood for a long time.

Record gusts were recorded in Galway bay golf club this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Laurali

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    There were strong elements of tongue-in-cheek in that post. :p

Sincere apologies.

Storm has me on edge!
    why, sure there's nothing happening at all in Dublin, compared the the West?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Gusting 59kts in DunLaoghaire now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,005 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Looking at FlightRadar24, Dublin Airport is a mess. There are two racetrack stacks over the Irish Sea, some are approaching but few are landing. A plane from Boston has gone around twice and looks like it's heading for the UK now.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Dub ATC just said they've only had one successful landing in the past 20mins

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

bnt wrote: »
    Looking at FlightRadar24, Dublin Airport is a mess. There are two racetrack stacks over the Irish Sea, some are approaching but few are landing. A plane from Boston has gone around twice and looks like it's heading for the UK now.

Apparently 1 successful landing in the last 20 minutes, all other attempts are go-arounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,245 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Really rough here in Dundalk.i have a fairly big barbecue tucked in an alcove when not in use. Blew it out, blew the cover off (two ropes) and deposited it sideways onto back patio. Much stronger than Ophelia around here.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

That flight seems to be diverted to the UK now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,005 ✭✭✭✭bnt

This is one Ryanair flight from Stansted: got stacked to the NE of Dublin, tried to land twice, went around twice, and is now starting a racetrack off Wicklow.

461633.png

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

To be honest, I think they should scrap the colour coded thing. Has done nothing but create confusion since its inception. It was a bad idea from the start and seems to have been based on the assumption that people are childlike and simple, in that they understand colours more than actual potential wind speeds when given numerically.

New Moon

• Advertisement

Manchester can't take anymore aircraft via ATC

• Registered Users Posts: 18,580 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

We’re at 280m and exposed.
    Taking a serious beating now.

Makes Ophelia look like a fresh morning breeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭stevenup7002

Was 2-3 hours of strong gusts here in Clonmel, but it's almost completely calm now. Nothing too remarkable here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Deedsie wrote: »
    To who?

Pretty much everywhere? Mostly when it comes to snow/heat to be fair. Yes we're not equipped etc. but that doesn't mean it's not laughed at when we have weather warnings for tenperatures of -5 degrees.

Italian work colleagues think we're crazy over the weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Annoyed I didnt take the bike to work today, that tailwind looks glorious

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

In Dublin 18 and the building is taking a beating. Whole place is vibrating. Very strong. When is the peak wind to pass Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭highdef

_Brian wrote: »
    We’re at 280m and exposed.
    Taking a serious beating now.

Makes Ophelia look like a fresh morning breeze.

You say you're down a long dark lane away from ye all but where is that lane?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,344 ✭✭✭mojesius

Big tree just down in our back garden. SE Meath :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Whats the options then? Liverpool/London/Birmingham airports?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Just read that a man has been injured when a tree fell on his car as he was driving on the Athlone to Ballymahon road.Will the rest of the trees on that road or any other road be cut down? No is horrible answer and as I posted earlier that makes me angry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

A little windy but relatively calm here in the south-east.

Considering how hard we were hit by Ophelia compared to other parts of the country it’s a welcome development.

Stay safe all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    It was a bad idea from the start and seems to have been based on the assumption that people are childlike and simple, in that they understand colours more than actual potential wind speeds when given numerically.

Which is more likely than not a spot on assessment for many people

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Breezy in Limerick, nothing more than that.

Limerick is the finest. grand around the campus in UL.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

GBX wrote: »
    Whats the options then? Liverpool/London/Birmingham airports?

Leeds/Bradford or Sheffield would be my guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Tree blocking road between Stamullen & Bellewstown Co Meath

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Still getting gusts of up to 120 km/hr in Castlebar and 2000 homes without power, the Mall in town is a sea of large broken branches and twigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Had died down a lot in the last half hour but then whoosh, there was a gust that I thought was going to blow the windows in. Getting very strong again

• Registered Users Posts: 18,580 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

highdef wrote: »
    You say you're down a long dark lane away from ye all but where is that lane?

Cavan

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

Just read that a man has been injured when a tree fell on his car as he was driving on the Athlone to Ballymahon road.Will the rest of the trees on that road or any other road be cut down? No is horrible answer and as I posted earlier that makes me angry.

Ya can't just clear fell hedges along all the roads in the country because it gets really windy a handful of times a year.

• Advertisement

P_1 wrote: »
    Annoyed I didnt take the bike to work today, that tailwind looks glorious

https://tenor.com/wu88.gif

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement