Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ali : Weds 19 Sept 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

John.Icy wrote: »
    Well Met Eireann are a meteorological body?
    The hand holding needed by the general Irish public when it comes to deciding what the weather is at is beggars belief.
    Anyway, when ME release reds the abuse they get is huge aswell. Oh sure it's just abit of wind! Etc.
    You can't win in this country. We're a laughing stock when it comes to the weather.

2i9dks.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭lavinia hathaway

Still wild here in Galway, all Bus Eireann city services cancelled and ESB saying that up to 13,000 people are without power.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Very dangerous gusts here in West Offaly over the past two hours,getting slightly less severe now.
    Reading about trees down blocking roads and putting people's lives in danger makes me angry as this can be avoided so easily by landowners cutting existing trees and not allowing new ones to grow on roadside hedges.Also every County Council should be prosecuting people who are responsible for those trees.If a roadside tree falls and kills someone it should be considered as manslaughter.

Rubbish. You can't tell if a tree is going to fall. You can filter out the rotten or heaving trees but often a tree will fall that appeared sound.

I have been out since 7am around Galway. This storm unusually coincided with trees being in leaf - that's what's caused the problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

Oneiric 3 wrote: »

To be honest, I think they should scrap the colour coded thing.

Has done nothing but create confusion since its inception.

Any links to support that claim?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Very strange.....wind just stopped here all of a sudden. Looks like it's completely windstill now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭enricoh

Just read that a man has been injured when a tree fell on his car as he was driving on the Athlone to Ballymahon road.Will the rest of the trees on that road or any other road be cut down? No is horrible answer and as I posted earlier that makes me angry.

Do u want every tree in the country along a road cut down? Move to the divis flats or somewhere like that - no trees and loads of concrete!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

South Co Dublin and seriously wild. Tree down in my garden...a 30 year old large Willow.
    Power gone for last hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Turnipman wrote: »
    Any links to support that claim?
    Only last year, with 'Ophelia'. Unwarranted 'Red' warnings given for the entire country. Shops and businesses closed down blah blah, yet the storm only affected a relatively small area. Also, have you read back on this thread?

Have you any 'evidence' that would suggest the contrary?

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Power outages in North Dublin, affecting schools etc. Dept of Education policy is to hold onto children in school until it's safe to leave.
    Trees down on main train and DART lines. It is extremely dangerous in North County Dublin right now.

Only last year, with 'Ophelia'. Unwarranted 'Red' warnings given for the entire country. Shops and businesses closed down blah blah, yet the storm only affected a relatively small area. Also, have you read back on this thread?

Oops! Looks as though you need to brush up on your discussion technique!

The way that the thing works is that convincing evidence should be presented by anyone arguing for a change to the status quo - not by those who don't have an issue with it! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭piplip87

Yes a man was killed in Co Louth, multiple trees fell on the main road on approach to a to the town with 3 schools between 2-4pm only for the red warning here in Cavan there would have been fatalities

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

On the coast in Mid County Louth. Definitely the worst wind we've experienced in all of these recent storms, severe tree damage and tiles flying off my roof. Worse here than Ophelia in my experience, but at the power is still on for now.

On another note, why do all these weather threads have to come down to how other people view our reaction to a weather event, and how much of a laughing stock we are? It seems massively insecure and self absorbed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

Deedsie wrote: »
    I dont think anyone outside Ireland could give a fiddlers how we react to weather. Certainly not my experience. If anything people are impressed how we tolerate and deal with such a changeable climate.

Laughing stock is way over the top. Silly comment

On the other side of it one of my Dutch friends was impressed at how much information the ESB has on apps and websites and how rapidly we got power and other services back up again after Ophelia.

Countries are adapted to the weather they actually have, not the weather other countries have and they get once in 20 years.

If you take something like tidal flooding in Cork City. It’s been happening for centuries and in a normal flood things are cleaned up and it’s business as usual in a matter of a couple of days. If you tried that in a place that never floods they’d have big, big problems.

Also Irish road conditions are sometimes more slippery than continental equivalents because we are often in that 2 to -5°C band which produces slightly icy surfaces which are far slipper than very hard frozen surfaces. We also combine that with a lot of mist, freezing fog and light rain. There’s genuinely a bigger risk. You don’t slip on ice. You slip on the thin layer of water that melts as your tyre or foot engages with the road surface and the friction melts it. When you get to continental winter temperatures the road surfaces become cold and dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Breezy in Limerick, nothing more than that.

The fire service are reporting trees blocking roads in several places. The photo of the tree in Ahane is clearly showing it on electrical wires, so possible power outages there. A tree fell across Bloodmill Rd, which is my normal route in the morning, so I'm very, very glad I decided to avoid it today. I passed a tree down on the N20 blocking the hard shoulder inbound, so I hope people are careful if pulling in to allow overtaking. Lots of branches down on tree lined roads.

We aren't too bad here but I wouldn't get complacent about it. Avoiding trees for the next few hours is sensible. My 5 year old's school is mainly outdoor based so I did have to talk with his teacher about the plan for today and be reassured that they would be avoiding trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Rikand wrote: »
    Its not a storm until a trampoline rehomes itself

There really should be a trampoline migration alert :-D

iguana wrote: »

My 5 year old's school is mainly outdoor based so I did have to talk with his teacher about the plan for today and be reassured that they would be avoiding trees.

Ireland's last remaining hedge school? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,712 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Eoineo wrote: »
    Power outages in North Dublin, affecting schools etc. Dept of Education policy is to hold onto children in school until it's safe to leave.
    Trees down on main train and DART lines. It is extremely dangerous in North County Dublin right now.

Goo thing the schools werent closed eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭aisling86

People might realize now that orange is in fact an actual storm rather than waiting for a red shutdown....the amount who dismiss an orange warning baffles me.

Planes landing now at Dublin airport

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Planes landing now at Dublin airport

Kind of, many goarounds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

To be honest, I think they should scrap the colour coded thing. Has done nothing but create confusion since its inception. It was a bad idea from the start and seems to have been based on the assumption that people are childlike and simple, in that they understand colours more than actual potential wind speeds when given numerically.

I disagree.

I think it has brought more attention to weather situations and there is no arguing that the code red last year saved lives.

The colour coding is deliberately simple so that people can relate to it and colours are effective and clear.

The orange colour is a warning but many people underestimate it.

Also, you have to cope for all levels of society and this system works and is in use all over Europe now.

The death in Galway is terrible but the victim was a tourist and most likely does not watch/listen to Irish news like most of us do whilst on holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,712 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

aisling86 wrote: »
    People might realize now that orange is in fact an actual storm rather than waiting for a red shutdown....the amount who dismiss an orange warning baffles me.

I think some are just confused as to how this orange is worse than the last red for a great many people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

monster1 wrote: »
    We tried With the chainsaw and the chain broke..

Be extra careful with chainsaws in this wind or even better just wait till the storm is over.

During ophelia a man died trying to do the same

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

61 knots at Belfast Aldergrove, 60 at Magilligan (Derry).

Mace Head seems to be offline. Probably blown over to Knock.

The Garda traffic twitter account has some good photos of trees down, roads blocked, etc. https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic

It's hard to believe that the driver of this car got away with minor injuries - a very lucky man (or woman).

DncqAjVX4AEIfru.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Power Check map is a sight to behold.

2cqmq0m.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

Ferocious gusts in Dublin 1

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

aisling86 wrote: »

Similar to the problem in USA with people dismissing cat 1 storms.

All warnings should be heeded. The colour coding is a valuable but crude mechanism.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Branches down at Ormond Quay/Liffey Street

https://twitter.com/Spellerman/status/1042353038822924288

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

enricoh wrote: »
    Do u want every tree in the country along a road cut down? Move to the divis flats or somewhere like that - no trees and loads of concrete!

Ah sure pave paradise and put up a parking lot while you are at it..

Then build a tree museum and charge all the people to come and see 'em!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement