Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ali : Weds 19 Sept 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

pjohnson wrote: »
    Goo thing the schools werent closed eh?
    By the time the storm passes the school should be at closing time. It was safe for the children to travel to school here and the storm has only picked up significantly in the past hour. I made an informed decision to send the children to school based upon the weather forecast - with the knowledge that we may lose power.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Many trees down across the country, many cars hit, close calls with buildings etc. A red warning of course would have put less people in harms way, many areas saw higher winds that previously, red probably would have been warranted in the west, orange in all other areas, but still a close call between orange and red

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

murpho999 wrote: »

The death in Galway is terrible but the victim was a tourist and most likely does not watch/listen to Irish news like most of do whilst on holidays.

Agreed. But whoever rented her that caravan (assuming that it wasn't her own) should have taken steps to warn her. As should whoever owned the land where the caravan was parked (a site described by RTE as a place used for camping but not a campsite). :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Similar to the problem in USA with people dismissing cat 1 storms.

All warnings should be heeded. The colour coding is a valuable but crude mechanism.

Enough of the sneering.

Bottom line is this - Category Red storm means that workplaces are closed and schools are closed.

Category Orange storm means that they are open.

And then people can 'use their discretion'? Miss a days work and get punished for it; get marked absent from school?

Its not a question of people 'paying heed'. Its a question of the systematic implications of Red vs Orange.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Kamili wrote: »
    Ah sure pave paradise and put up a parking lot while you are at it..

Then build a tree museum and charge all the people to come and see 'em!

Hey, that's well said... Mebbe it'd make a good song, wha?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Ploughing not open until 1.30 at earliest.

Edit: As below....cancelled for today.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 RiceCrispy

ploughing championships just been cancelled. local school travelled 3 hours to get there from Dublin and they have just been told to go home. should have been called way earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Turnipman wrote: »
    Oops! Looks as though you need to brush up on your discussion technique!

The way that the thing works is that convincing evidence should be presented by anyone arguing for a change to the status quo - not by those who don't have an issue with it! :)

Don't need you to tell me how 'discussion technique' works (did you pick that phrase up from some cheapo online college course or something?)

And as I said, have you read back on this thread as just one example? Clearly you are an advocate for the colour blocks, so tell us why and what evidence you have - evidence that would clearly contradict my 'lack of evidence' as you put it, that such a method works.

How are colour blocks, for example, more effective that Met Eireann stating that 'disruptive and dangerous' winds are to be expected?

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Turnipman wrote: »
    Ireland's last remaining hedge school? :D

Kind of. There's a few of them about the country. They cover the curriculum through doing things outside as much as possible. Feeding animals, harvesting, baking etc all present more than enough learning opportunities for reading and maths. With some conversational Irish thrown in. They are usually fantastic but it means that this kind of weather has a bigger effect on their day than it does for most kids. Normally they spend a lot of time in forested areas but those need to be avoided today. Luckily all the kids are old enough now to understand that and I imagine they'll be spending a lot of time today learning about the wind and doing weather experiments.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

iguana wrote: »
    Kind of. There's a few of them about the country. They cover the curriculum through doing things outside as much as possible. Feeding animals, harvesting, baking etc all present more than enough learning opportunities for reading and maths. With some conversational Irish thrown in. They are usually fantastic but it means that this kind of weather has a bigger effect on their day than it does for most kids. Normally they spend a lot of time in forested areas but those need to be avoided today. Luckily all the kids are old enough now to understand that and I imagine they'll be spending a lot of time today learning about the wind and doing weather experiments.

Cool!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Ploughing cancelled!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

461642.jpg
    Blew my back up house over for when I fall out with herself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

RiceCrispy wrote: »
    ploughing championships just been cancelled. local school travelled 3 hours to get there from Dublin and they have just been told to go home. should have been called way earlier.

I'm on that boat

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Gust of 62kts at DunLaoghaire Harbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

My 5 year old's school is mainly outdoor based so I did have to talk with his teacher about the plan for today and be reassured that they would be avoiding trees.

Off-topic: Is that a primary school? My grandson's playschool is an outdoor one. They're open today but will stay inside. Windy weather is the only kind they go inside for. I opted not to take him today as I'd have to drive on narrow tree-lined country roads and I couldn't face any adrenalin rushes today as I've a massive sinus headache. Discretion is the better part of valour as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Rhineshark

I'm actually fine with the colour blocks unless it means the met will be wary of calling a red due to schools closing. They'll get a bollocking if enough people decide they didn't see anything spectacular enough despite being in a very sheltered spot or a last moment sidetrack.

This morning was brutal here on the coast of South Galway. We're at skeleton staff - no-one will get trouble for not showing though. School next door closed.

Definitely worse for the west than Ophelia, but Ophelia tracked inland at the last minute and the western most regions were in the lee of it iirc.

You still doing okay off the coast Graces?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Artane2002 wrote: »
    Ploughing cancelled!

There'll be feckin chaos on the roads!!! What a dreadful disappointment for all involved!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Lot of people dismiss category red so not surprised they hardly pay attention to orange

Friend of mine swam in the river during the category red snow in spring to prove a point.

Irish society takes the “it’ll be grand” attitude too far at times maybe

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    There'll be feckin chaos on the roads!!! What a dreadful disappointment for all involved!!

Ploughing should have been cancelled last night. Saw the warning that it was off until 11ish and thought "you're optimistic, lads..."

• Registered Users Posts: 23,712 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

This sounds bloody amazing. Never heard of it before!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,408 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

60km/h gust on my weather station which considering its not high enough and in the lee of hill is fairly blowy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Strongest Gusts in the hour leading up to 11 am (km/h):

111 Knock Airport
    102 Casement Aerodrome
    98 Dublin Airport
    96 Shannon Airport
    85 Mount Dillon
    83 Ballyhaise
    81 Malin Head
    78 Cork Airport
    74 Grange
    74 Finner
    70 Athenry
    69 Mullingar
    69 Oak Park
    67 Claremorris

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Don't need you to tell me how 'discussion technique' works (did you pick that phrase up from some cheapo online college course or something?)

And as I said, have you read back on this thread as just one example? Clearly you are an advocate for the colour blocks, so tell us why and what evidence you have - evidence that would clearly contradict my 'lack of evidence' as you put it, that such a method works.

How are colour blocks, for example, more effective that Met Eireann stating that 'disruptive and dangerous' winds are to be expected?

A very warm welcome to my 'ignore' list. I think you'll be very happy there as it's full of argumentative people who think that they know best about just about everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Winds have eased of a lot here in Castlebar with sunny spells and showers following. very little damage around Castlebar thankfully other than a few branches in the Mall and small debris on roadsides.

TomOnBoard wrote: »

Should have been cancelled a lot earlier!

Orange warning was in effect for Offaly from yesterday and with tents, temporary fencing, etc., always was going to be a health and safety nightmare!

Lot of people dismiss category red so not surprised they hardly pay attention to orange

Friend of mine swam in the river during the category red snow in spring to prove a point.

Irish society takes the “it’ll be grand” attitude too far at times maybe

Sorry if he's a mate but I think the point proven by that is that he's a feckin eejit! And other lives could have been endangered if he got into trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Met Eireann are not responsible for the weather, nor are they there to tell us how to deal with the weather. They are their solely to tell us what weather to expect. If schools and businesses base their decisions to stay open or close down based on a colour code, rather than making an informed decision based on the actual forecast, then that is their problem, and not M.Es.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭sjb25

Artane2002 wrote: »
    Ploughing cancelled!

No wonder state of the site

https://www.facebook.com/connachtagri.ie/videos/226151404921926/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Deedsie wrote: »
    I dont think anyone outside Ireland could give a fiddlers how we react to weather. Certainly not my experience. If anything people are impressed how we tolerate and deal with such a changeable climate.

Laughing stock is way over the top. Silly comment

Ah you've had a different experience so my comment is silly! Fine rebuttal. My experience is vastly different which I guess is common affair but I'm not here to tell you who's opinion has more merit.

Back to the weather and wind dying off now in D9 but an occasional hefty gust. Onwards to Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,712 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Met Eireann are not responsible for the weather, nor are they there to tell us how to deal with the weather. They are their solely to tell us what weather to expect. If schools and businesses base their decisions to stay open or close down based on a colour code, rather than making an informed decision based on the actual forecast, then that is their problem, and not M.Es.

So why does a red warning close down schools etc?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement