Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ali : Weds 19 Sept 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

John.Icy wrote: »
    Ah you've had a different experience so my comment is silly! Fine rebuttal. My experience is vastly different which I guess is common affair but I'm not here to tell you who's opinion has more merit.

I myself find how Irish people react to the weather as laughable at times. Sorry if that offends anyone.

Offends nobody. Hope that wont disappoint you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Turnipman wrote: »
    A very warm welcome to my 'ignore' list. I think you'll be very happy there as it's full of argumentative people who think that they know best about just about everything.
    Good riddance..
    Keep working on that 'discussion technique' thing though.

New Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,202 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Met Eireann are not responsible for the weather, nor are they there to tell us how to deal with the weather. They are their solely to tell us what weather to expect. If schools and businesses base their decisions to stay open or close down based on a colour code, rather than making an informed decision based on the actual forecast, then that is their problem, and not M.Es.

correct and right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    To be honest, I think they should scrap the colour coded thing. Has done nothing but create confusion since its inception. It was a bad idea from the start and seems to have been based on the assumption that people are childlike and simple, in that they understand colours more than actual potential wind speeds when given numerically.

Everything you mention is covered by met eireann, the colour scheme is just another method for letting us all know what to expect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Power went off at 8.38 am here; just back which is a remarkable feat.

Just seen that terrible tragedy at Claddaghduff.
    Appalling, poor lady.

Those people will be desperately distressed. I know that village well; hearts of pure gold. I had my eye on Omey Island, you see...gave sacks and sacks of spare wool to the ladies in Claddaghduff..

Always my way now weatherwise is to err on the side of safety. I would never have sent any child out to school in an alert like this one has been. Do not care if folk call me a wimp. better a live wimp than a dead blase dare devil.
    Rhineshark wrote: »
    I'm actually fine with the colour blocks unless it means the met will be wary of calling a red due to schools closing. They'll get a bollocking if enough people decide they didn't see anything spectacular enough despite being in a very sheltered spot or a last moment sidetrack.

This morning was brutal here on the coast of South Galway. We're at skeleton staff - no-one will get trouble for not showing though. School next door closed.

Definitely worse for the west than Ophelia, but Ophelia tracked inland at the last minute and the western most regions were in the lee of it iirc.

You still doing okay off the coast Graces?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Nothing like a bit of extreme weather to get boardsies bitching and moaning at each other!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,823 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Rhineshark wrote: »
    Sorry if he's a mate but I think the point proven by that is that he's a feckin eejit! And other lives could have been endangered if he got into trouble.

In fairness I agree with you. There was a bit of a debate on boards back then about it.
    He is an “outdoors man” type. Doesn’t like being told what to do or not do.

But yes I agree with you. I wouldn’t have done it myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

Stop bickering lads...I am looking at the positives.

I think Elton said it best;

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭prunudo

I don't think there's an issue with the colour coding as such, more to do with peoples understanding or lack of it.
    Where I do think there is an issue is the media's protrayal of up coming events, especially with radio dj's and social media sites, there's an awful lot of mis information between what is reported and what is actual forecast. The problem is people with little interest or knowledge of the weather will take these as gospel.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,752 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I thought they were a bit too confident with the ploughing when yesterday they claimed the tented town could withstand a storm.
    Looks like it won’t be on tomorrow either. Hope all the animals are ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Kutebride

LOUD here in Meath. Blowin all over the shop waiting at playschool. Trees down everywhere. Teachers all moved their cars into center green away from falling debris & trees. Meath.
    Have to say it was this forum I read lead ins to this & was mentioning it to people cause everyone was on about Helene Monday & Tues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Rte radio centre. Taken from Damien Tiernan's facebook page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭whippet

Very windy on the Louth coast .. seems much more windy than Ophelia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭randomname2005

pjohnson wrote: »
    This sounds bloody amazing. Never heard of it before!

There are a few of them around, but need the location to do it (obviously not in the middle of a city). Considered sending ours to one, but would have meant 1+ hour travelling, each way, given traffic.

Jpmarn wrote: »
    Do any of you remember that we had Storm Hector last June?

Hector the wrecktor who tore all the elderberry blossom off..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Samsgirl wrote: »

Jesus. Lord have mercy on their souls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Samsgirl wrote: »

Ah, FFS! That's at least €50 more on the feckin TV License....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

Should this have been a red warning in places?
    STATUS RED – Severe Weather Warning – Take ActionThe issue of RED level severe weather warnings should be a comparatively rare event and implies that recipients take action to protect themselves and/or their properties; this could be by moving their families out of the danger zone temporarily; by staying indoors; or by other specific actions aimed at mitigating the effects of the weather conditions.
    My thoughts are that a red wind warning could take into account the levels of leaves in trees (generally). If the same wind happens in 2 months time I feel that it could be an orange alert.
    That being said trees weren't the only thing that was a threat to life today in Galway.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Recent gust of 57kts at Dublin Bay Buoy and 56kts at DunLaoghaire Harbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Offends nobody. Hope that wont disappoint you.

Clearly unsettled the poster who had absolutely none of the notion but thanks for the input and I'm sure I'll survive.

Back to the weather to try move on from whatever the last few pages are...

Dublin Airport short on Ophelia winds by around 5-6km/h I believe. So slightly weaker but largely on par in my area, 12pm report probably the last hurrah to hit the 100km/h mark.

Decent gusts in Dun Laoighre, anyone have a comparison between now and Ophelia for there out of curiosity?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭coillsaille

aisling86 wrote: »
    People might realize now that orange is in fact an actual storm rather than waiting for a red shutdown....the amount who dismiss an orange warning baffles me.

The problem is that employers expect staff to travel to work unless a red warning is issued and if some wisely choose not to due to weather conditions they run the risk of being penalised in some way. Likewise school pupils have to explain their absence if no red was issued.

It has been pointed out above that ME are not responsible for instructing businesses or schools not to open. In that case some agency should be responsible for that duty and maybe one should be set up. And the warning levels it uses should be impact based, not decided by wind speed alone. An orange level storm when trees still have substantial foliage is going to be much more dangerous and disruptive than later in the winter. From what I've seen around Galway this morning, between trees down and primary school kids crying with fear being walked to school with twigs flying into their faces, the current system could be improved on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Deedsie wrote: »
    If anything people are impressed how we tolerate and deal with such a changeable climate.
    We don't have a 'changeable climate', as you put it. Changeable weather maybe...

New Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Off-topic: Is that a primary school? My grandson's playschool is an outdoor one. They're open today but will stay inside. Windy weather is the only kind they go inside for. I opted not to take him today as I'd have to drive on narrow tree-lined country roads and I couldn't face any adrenalin rushes today as I've a massive sinus headache. Discretion is the better part of valour as far as I'm concerned.

It's a primary. I'd have kept him home from preschool too. The roads to the school are mostly very wide and I avoided the one narrow and tree lined shortcut I usually take.
    There are a few of them around, but need the location to do it (obviously not in the middle of a city). Considered sending ours to one, but would have meant 1+ hour travelling, each way, given traffic.

We're relatively lucky. It's a 20 minute commute with very little traffic. He'd have been going to an ET school otherwise and that's nearer but the commute would be as long if not longer due to traffic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

RobertKK wrote: »
    I thought they were a bit too confident with the ploughing when yesterday they claimed the tented town could withstand a storm.
    Looks like it won’t be on tomorrow either. Hope all the animals are ok.

They were probably going to try and hold down the tents with tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

The colours are probably fine - as others addressed the meaning behind the warnings needs more clarity. Majority of Met services have similar scales. There simply cannot be forced closures for Orange level storm systems - the West would only have three working days a week during winter! :D

I guess the thing to do is for Orange level systems if a person doesn't feel safe to travel to work that companies cannot punish them or schools cannot make comment if children remain home at parents decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

Very windy here on the border of D14/D16. Big clumps of branches down.

It's quite simple, Red = stay at home, orange = business as normal.

If a red warning was issued this morning, most of us would be at home right now.

An orange warning was issued, which means go to work or be penalised for not going.

iguana wrote: »
    Kind of. There's a few of them about the country. They cover the curriculum through doing things outside as much as possible. Feeding animals, harvesting, baking etc all present more than enough learning opportunities for reading and maths. With some conversational Irish thrown in. They are usually fantastic but it means that this kind of weather has a bigger effect on their day than it does for most kids. Normally they spend a lot of time in forested areas but those need to be avoided today. Luckily all the kids are old enough now to understand that and I imagine they'll be spending a lot of time today learning about the wind and doing weather experiments.

sounds wonderful. as a former teacher..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭coillsaille

It's quite simple, Red = stay at home, orange = business as normal.

If a red warning was issued this morning, most of us would be at home right now.

An orange warning was issued, which means go to work or be penalised for not going.

Exactly. Which is why ME need to incorporate an impact based approach or some other state agency needs to take on the job of issuing warnings and use a system based on potential effects rather than wind speed alone.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement