Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ali : Weds 19 Sept 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Am a bit confused

People all over the country are saying this 'feels worse than Ophelia'....and the collateral damage (e.g. trees falling all over the place) seems worse.....

Was that because they didnt go out in Ophelia.....or because Ophelia hit mainly at night time.....or because it actually is worse than Ophelia.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Really howling in Swords all morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Graces7 wrote: »
    sounds wonderful. as a former teacher..

Yes my daughter attended outdoor playschool four years ago.
    Could it be calming down at last. Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭sjb25

If a red warning was issued this morning, most of us would be at home right now.

Yeah and que all the people going nuts “wasn’t that bad”etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Maybe simply all the focus was on the US storms and their effect on us? Ali took them by surprise?

Certainly a major event here. Easing now..

24314]Should this have been a red warning in places?

My thoughts are that a red wind warning could take into account the levels of leaves in trees (generally). If the same wind happens in 2 months time I feel that it could be an orange alert.
    That being said trees weren't the only thing that was a threat to life today in Galway.[/QUOTE]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Th3B1tcH

Meanwhile the traffic corp found a sence of humour :pac:

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/1042358398040326144

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

iguana wrote: »
    It's a primary. I'd have kept him home from preschool too. The roads to the school are mostly very wide and I avoided the one narrow and tree lined shortcut I usually take.

We're relatively lucky. It's a 20 minute commute with very little traffic. He'd have been going to an ET school otherwise and that's nearer but the commute would be as long if not longer due to traffic.

Could I ask where it is and is there a network of them, please? We'd love to find one for the grandboy for next year. It would be worth moving for if necessary. He'll find regular school very restrictive after being outside for the two years.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Seems to be easing quickly now in Dublin 16.

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Am a bit confused

People all over the country are saying this 'feels worse than Ophelia'....and the collateral damage (e.g. trees falling all over the place) seems worse.....

Was that because they didnt go out in Ophelia.....or because Ophelia hit mainly at night time.....or because it actually is worse than Ophelia.

I don't think it's worse than Ophelia. But it feels worse as I was indoors for Ophelia.

I think it's bad enough that a red warning should be in place, regardless of speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

It is here, Still a high wind but those ear splitting groans have gone. Not heard wind like that since my North Sea island days. The Irish banshee in full cry

It was for me a useful thing when the power went. I HATE power cuts.... When I moved here I was 5 months with no power, September to January, and the first 3 without a working gas cooker. I was wondrously organised.. small battery radio, big torch, large print books, batteries on every shopping list

Was chagrined today to realise I am NOT winter ready... passed the time sorting food stocks etc. Would have even been out of matches soon...

The wee radio has vanished and so has the big torch... Awarded myself 5/10 for preparedness.. and will mend my ways....

Hope everyone is safe out there.

Kutebride wrote: »
    Yes my daughter attended outdoor playschool four years ago.
    Could it be calming down at last. Meath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

186,000 without power.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Am a bit confused

Surely it all depends on where you are in the country. Here in south Cork Ophelia was one of the worst storms I ever remember. But todays storm feels like nothing in comparison. I imagine it is the other way around elsewhere in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭KathleenF

Exactly. Which is why ME need to incorporate an impact based approach or some other state agency needs to take on the job of issuing warnings and use a system based on potential effects rather than wind speed alone.

Or people could take some personal responsibility for their safety maybe? If you think it’s too dangerous to go to work don’t go. Likewise don’t send your kids to school if you think it’s too dangerous. It’s that simple. ME and other forecasts exist to give you infomation to make an informed decision yourself, not to make the decision for you. Would you rather lose a day’s pay or your life?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Phoenix park closed apparently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

Exactly. Which is why ME need to incorporate an impact based approach or some other state agency needs to take on the job of issuing warnings and use a system based on potential effects rather than wind speed alone.

We open (retail) in red warnings
    If we are lucky they'll do late opening / early close
    This would be great

Hope everyone stays safe today

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭loughside

It`s been rough up here in Co. Down, ..
    "Northern Ireland's strongest September wind gust since records began - 91mph - has been recorded in Killowen, County Down, as Storm Ali intensifies.
    Fifty-one thousand homes across Northern Ireland are without power."
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-45557619

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭scottigael

Didnt think it would be as bad at all here in south Laois only a yellow warning but felt only slightly less powerful than Ophelia was and power out all morning!

KathleenF wrote: »
    Or people could take some personal responsibility for their safety maybe? If you think it’s too dangerous to go to work don’t go. Likewise don’t send your kids to school if you think it’s too dangerous. It’s that simple. ME and other forecasts exist to give you infomation to make an informed decision yourself, not to make the decision for you. Would you rather lose a day’s pay or your life?

It's not that simple though. People are not weather experts. It's hard to tell from your house how bad it is out. Sometimes you only realise once your out in it.

I'm sure lots of people wanted to call sick, but orange means business as normal.

Some employers don't even like employees not showing up in red warnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    We don't have a 'changeable climate', as you put it. Changeable weather maybe...

I dunno... I'd say we're going through some changeable weather within a changing climate...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    There'll be feckin chaos on the roads!!! What a dreadful disappointment for all involved!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

That's exactly what they do at the moment to be fair
    https://www.met.ie/weather-warnings
    Weather Alerts and Warnings will be issued whenever weather conditions meeting the detailed thresholds defined below are anticipated within a 48-hr period. There will be judgement required on the part of the forecaster who must weigh up the possible severity of the weather conditions and the likelihood of their occurrence. However on some occasions (weekends, holiday periods) it may be necessary to issue Weather Warnings beyond this 48-hr horizon, if sufficient certainty derives from examination of the weather charts. Normally, however, a Weather Advisory (see below) will be used to flag severe weather beyond 48hrs and Advisories will normally anticipate only “Orange” or “Red” criteria weather hazards.

Given that the thrust of the Weather Warnings service is on potential “Impacts” of weather rather than on the numerical values attained by the weather elements themselves, it may on occasion be appropriate to issue warnings at a level higher than that strictly justified by the anticipated weather elements. An example would be when heavy rain was expected which might not quite meet the “Orange Warning” criteria but which might give rise to significant flooding because of already saturated ground, or because of a combination of rain, wind and tide in a coastal location.

Th3B1tcH wrote: »
    Meanwhile the traffic corp found a sence of humour :pac:

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/1042358398040326144

I reckon the number plate is blanked coz its an (almost) undercover car....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

A few trees fallen around Galway city, more have fallen in the same areas since.

First pic was taken at the Crescent and the second just off Dr Mannix Road.

42085898_10214826138621209_5280809015104765952_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=359785e7a2b438244508b95c4095cc8a&oe=5C1BE57F

42119647_10214826138381203_952131435626496000_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=c5506fe407fb9b62584de027b6e9f2f9&oe=5C2B5936

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

so far this storm is definitely worse than Ophelia here at Dunshaughlin. The gusts are far louder and the extent of this storm is much longer in comparison. Branches down on side roads. rubbish and bins blown everywhere. I've even seen a trampoline blown away on it's side vertical to a wall and tree.

My garden is covered in twigs and leaves, had to move 2 large branches off the road near house earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

The problem is that employers expect staff to travel to work unless a red warning is issued and if some wisely choose not to due to weather conditions they run the risk of being penalised in some way. Likewise school pupils have to explain their absence if no red was issued.

It has been pointed out above that ME are not responsible for instructing businesses or schools not to open. In that case some agency should be responsible for that duty and maybe one should be set up. And the warning levels it uses should be impact based, not decided by wind speed alone. An orange level storm when trees still have substantial foliage is going to be much more dangerous and disruptive than later in the winter. From what I've seen around Galway this morning, between trees down and primary school kids crying with fear being walked to school with twigs flying into their faces, the current system could be improved on.

Pointing out an absence reason from school is a not a big deal unless your missing more than 20 days a year.
    Work still expects you even in a red warning also.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭coillsaille

That's exactly what they do at the moment to be fair
    https://www.met.ie/weather-warnings

Thanks for highlighting that. I think a lot of people in Galway and elsewhere will feel upon reading it that ME did not adhere to that statement in bold with this event.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭Bsal

Neighbours shed roof has blown off here in Swords, still very gusty.

P_1 wrote: »
    Phoenix park closed apparently

Does that mean that Michael D is now on a 'lock-in'?

Artane2002 wrote: »

At least Tubridy's programme is over, and Joooooooe'll be up shortly...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

A few trees fallen around Galway city, more have fallen in the same areas since.

First pic was taken at the Crescent and the second just off Dr Mannix Road.

42085898_10214826138621209_5280809015104765952_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=359785e7a2b438244508b95c4095cc8a&oe=5C1BE57F

42119647_10214826138381203_952131435626496000_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=c5506fe407fb9b62584de027b6e9f2f9&oe=5C2B5936

Fallen friends 😢

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement