Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ali : Weds 19 Sept 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭sunnyday1234

Just shows how different Ophelia affected parts of the country

Here in north cork , this storm was like a gentle breeze compared to Ophelia

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Here in west mayo we had no visit from ophelia and today was horrendous. north sea weather...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

KathleenF wrote: »
    Or people could take some personal responsibility for their safety maybe? If you think it’s too dangerous to go to work don’t go. Likewise don’t send your kids to school if you think it’s too dangerous. It’s that simple. ME and other forecasts exist to give you infomation to make an informed decision yourself, not to make the decision for you. Would you rather lose a day’s pay or your life?

Aw jaysus no!

Far, far better for the nanny State to take responsibility for everything we do, because that way we'll always be able to blame someone else when something goes wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

For Leinster and especially south Leinster Ophelia was much much worse

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Still fairly gusty in cork city but calmed from this morning a lot. Wasn’t near Ophelia level down here. It that was totally expected.

As for color coding, it works. I think the main issue is the Irish people. Look at the twitter posts for instance. The replies are all just “Why is the north grey?” “Your a disgrace for having the north excluded!” And so on

People just don’t care.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Seems to be causing a bit of trouble in Scotland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭henryforde80

Grand day here in Kilkenny. Not a bother since I woke up at half eight this morning.

Is there any updated map things about where the storm currently is hitting, ending etc. Think I'll go storm chasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Is it over yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

pad199207 wrote: »
    For Leinster and especially south Leinster Ophelia was much much worse

In terms of peak wind gusts at my local station in Ashford, Wicklow.

Ophelia - max gust 75mph (and station record)
    Today - max gust 50mph (8:16am)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,979 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

stevek93 wrote: »
    Is it over yet?

Now reduced to (national) yellow warning (orange gone now).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭pauldry

Thought it was over in Sligo but gusting over 50knots again

Ali "floats like a butterfly , stingjets like a bee"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭henryforde80

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Now reduced to (national) yellow warning (orange gone now).

Roll on Sunday so! Another one

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,979 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

And Friday....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Dublin Airport at 1pm reported a max gust of 56 knots or 104km/h.

Which equals the max of Ophelia.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

HighLine wrote: »
    In terms of peak wind gusts at my local station in Ashford, Wicklow.

Ophelia - max gust 75mph (and station record)
    Today - max gust 50mph (8:16am)

Yup. Also I found Ophelia to have more damaging sustained winds with her even inland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

And Friday....;)

Cheesus.

It's boring without electricity :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

And Friday....;)

Friday??

• Registered Users Posts: 13,005 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Dublin Airport is slowly getting back to normal, but not there yet. I just happened to watch EI147 to San Francisco abort its takeoff for some reason.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

bnt wrote: »
    Dublin Airport is slowly getting back to normal, but not there yet. I just happened to watch EI147 to San Francisco abort its takeoff for some reason.
    Wont be back to normal for a good while. having issues turning aircraft around, limited ground ops, cant open cargo doors etc. Long waiting times to get a gate for those that are landing.

Friday??

Just throwing it out there!

Will be windy on Friday, but probably just a yellow warning (for some).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

Dying down a bit now in Dublin 10. Still some strong gusts though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

We usually have to wait til nearly november/december before storms get this bad... I was thinking we would have an early bad autumn after the summer we just had...We usually have to pay the price for any good weather we get :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,005 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Wont be back to normal for a good while. having issues turning aircraft around, limited ground ops, cant open cargo doors etc. Long waiting times to get a gate for those that are landing.
    Yep - can see the queue on the taxiways - wasn't suggesting things were near normal. Listening to the tower audio, just heard a Qatar Airlines 787 go around citing "wind shear". :eek:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

By 'roll on' you mean you're looking for more damage, death and destruction?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2018/0919/994653-storm-ali/

Caravan blown off a cliff in Galway. Woman killed!

461658.jpg

Jayus, poor woman.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Windy enough here in Wexford but it's nothing compared to Ophelia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

Not a bad day in Galway now. Winds easing off rapidly.

I don't think the 2:30 high tide will cause any flooding.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

Just saw a comment on Facebook

“Not a tree left in Sligo.”

Gotta love the overdramatizing all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

attachment.phpattachmentid=461658&stc=1&d=1537361444
    Jayus, poor woman.
    RIP

Years ago during storm / hurricane Debbie a neighbour with family plus young baby were staying in a caravan in a picturesque spot near a lake somewhere up the country.

The husband was out and saw the storm hit the lake and ran back to drag his protesting wife and children out of the caravan. Less than 5 minutes later the wind struck the caravan and rolled it straight over the hill and towards the lake.

Luckily no one was hurt but the caravan was made ****e of....

When the storm hit there was no weather warning system similar to that which we have know. In total 18 people died in both NI and the republic.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Debbie_(1961)
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/hurricane-debbie-high-winds-death-and-destruction-in-1961-1.3256985

I'm sure there are some who would probably dismiss it a bit of wind ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Somewhat sheltered from a westerly/south westerly where I am in Donegal at the moment but hasn't been anything too interesting here, gusty but conditions were worse during the heavy rain on Monday. Seems like Galway/Mayo took the brunt of it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement