Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ali : Weds 19 Sept 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

It didn't seem too bad here where I in rural co Kilkenny. Yet power out for much of the area. The house is in an open spot, we had a plastic greenhouse blow away in July for example. Just goes to show the impact seems to differ a lot over pretty small distances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

The inlaws are sitting off Tuskar on the Oscar Wilde, too windy for it to come in to dock!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

This will go down for me as the worst storm since the Big One on the north sea island all those years ago .

Lasted 3 days and gusts of 124 mph recorded.

There was a thunderbolt... massive crack and the air filled with the stench of electrical burning., A telegraph pole was splintered and my neighbour's cattle broke their chains when they got a shock.

The noise today reminded me..

Deeply thankful for safety and hurting for the pains and loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,185 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

14.00 reports show the gusts abating. What was the highest noted for the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭pauldry

79 knots Mace Hd or 143kph

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,979 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Answered above/below.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Larbre34 wrote: »

Mace Head with 79kts/146.3 km/hr before it went offline, so could of been higher, second strongest storm of the year after Eleanor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

novarock wrote: »
    The inlaws are sitting off Tuskar on the Oscar Wilde, too windy for it to come in to dock!

That can't be fun

• Registered Users Posts: 9,482 ✭✭✭weisses

Warning system is ridiculous when you don't take into account the impact in regards to the season

130 kph winds when trees have still leaves vs mid winter is a world of difference

Met Eirrean forecasting and providing appropriate warning is a farce

• Registered Users Posts: 9,482 ✭✭✭weisses

wexie wrote: »
    That can't be fun

Did you not read it right?

Its the INLAWS :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Turnipman wrote: »
    Agreed. But whoever rented her that caravan (assuming that it wasn't her own) should have taken steps to warn her. As should whoever owned the land where the caravan was parked (a site described by RTE as a place used for camping but not a campsite). :confused:

Its a campsite on one of the peninsula's, very exposed. Stayed there a few times. The thought had crossed my mind that the only place to park a caravan around there would be on that site and surprised it as not moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Are many getting their power back ?
    Not at home to check
    All faults been given a 10pm restore time so hard to know and the fault is not actually marked in my exact area so also hard to know
    Fairly sure it was earlier though

• Registered Users Posts: 24,185 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

weisses wrote: »
    Warning system is ridiculous when you don't take into account the impact in regards to the season

130 kph winds when trees have still leaves vs mid winter is a world of difference

Met Eirrean forecasting and providing appropriate warning is a farce

A farce! Set up a Commission of inquiry! Harrumph, the State is neglecting me and my rights!!!!

What bit of 'damaging gusts' did you not get? They left it to grown ups everywhere to hear the forecast and think

'Hmmm, lets see. Stormy winds + lots of trees in full leaf =..... ohhhhhhhh :( '

Rough seas in waterford that about it Annestown Co Waterford

43872367485_f04c98e2d4_c.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

Larbre34 wrote: »

Easing in the Dublin city centre longer spaces between the gusts , which are not as violent as earlier, will this be a pattern for the next few months any predictions

• Registered Users Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

First of all; my sincere condolences go out to the woman's family who was killed in the caravan in Galway this morning. She is originally from Switzerland. I don't know if her own family have been notified about her death. God knows what would they be thinking now if they got official word of her death today from the Irish consulate. May she R.I.P.

The biggest amount of damage that I have seen from Storm Ali in Dublin today was that parts of large trees fell down outside the Meadow Court housing block at Stillorgan Park. The upper part of the trees had fell down on the front hedge and on a long footpath. When you walk along that footpath or drive through the back of Stillorgan Park; it gives you a shortcut into Carysfort Park & Carysfort Avenue.

Here's a google street view of what it looked like before the winds came in today. There is a big chunk which had taken off one of those trees when I walked past it twice today. The winds were very severe when I was walking along that main road at around midday. They have died down a fair bit since I walked back down the same road this afternoon. There is still some debris lying around like small branches of trees still strewn along the grass along that road today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭randomname2005

LouD2016 wrote: »
    Completely off topic for this thread (sorry!) but I need to know what these schools are called :D
    Sounds great!

I don't know what umbrella they come under, and this is the best link to what I could find in Galway

http://getns.weebly.com/forest-schools.html

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

spookwoman wrote: »
    Its a campsite on one of the peninsula's, very exposed. Stayed there a few times. The thought had crossed my mind that the only place to park a caravan around there would be on that
    site and surprised it as not moved.

Is that Actons?

gozunda wrote: »
    Is that Actons?
    Yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Showers look small on radar, but there really pack a punch when moving through. Vicious little things with hail.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

wind thankfully died down here now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 229 ✭✭LouD2016

iguana wrote: »
    Kind of. There's a few of them about the country. They cover the curriculum through doing things outside as much as possible. Feeding animals, harvesting, baking etc all present more than enough learning opportunities for reading and maths. With some conversational Irish thrown in. They are usually fantastic but it means that this kind of weather has a bigger effect on their day than it does for most kids. Normally they spend a lot of time in forested areas but those need to be avoided today. Luckily all the kids are old enough now to understand that and I imagine they'll be spending a lot of time today learning about the wind and doing weather experiments.

Completely off topic for this thread (sorry!) but I need to know what these schools are called :D
    Sounds great!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

km79 wrote: »
    Are many getting their power back ?
    Not at home to check
    All faults been given a 10pm restore time so hard to know and the fault is not actually marked in my exact area so also hard to know
    Fairly sure it was earlier though

Number of houses affected in closest fault to me has handed already
    Never ceases to amaze me how quickly the esb guys get things back in a situation like today
    Hope we are back in action when I get home

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

LouD2016 wrote: »
    Sounds great!

Edit: Answered above.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Seems to have got a good bit wilder in Lucan in the last 30mins. Also had a brief heavy shower of rain but it seems to have abated almost as quickly as it started

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Just starting raining in cork city, the wind picked up massively too, similar to this morning.

gozunda wrote: »
    It has some very strange tripadvisor reviews ....
    I've stayed there and never had any problems. Its small and you are given a spot, your not stuck on top of each other and I think the points gets moved a little to allow the plants to grow. Its very eco friendly. There is a spot on top of the cliff area that is a camper spot and that's the only place I can think of that the camper was parked on or the other place was down by the shed. Its on google street view

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Went up to the cliffs for a look earlier, fairly wild up there but no different to a typical winter storm really, was pouring rain as well so couldn't get any worthwhile video or pics.

Anyone know what the top gusts at Finner & Malin Head were? The models last night were showing some very strong winds passing through but doesn't seem to have materialised around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Powers been off here since about 10am. ESB map just has a blanket estimated back on time of 10pm for everyone. I really hope it's not off that long!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

spookwoman wrote: »
    I've stayed there and never had any problems. Its small and you are given a spot, your not stuck on top of each other and I think the points gets moved a little to allow the plants to grow. Its very eco friendly. There is a spot on top of the cliff area that is a camper spot and that's the only place I can think of that the camper was parked on or the other place was down by the shed. Its on google street view

This illustrated RTE report may show where the caravan was parked. The seas look mad crazy, as Grace mentioned earlier. Hard to imagine that it's the same place where my kids and I have walked and driven over to Omey Island so many times.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement