Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ali : Weds 19 Sept 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Power back too

I'll call that a win

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

MJohnston wrote: »
    Really? I'd love to know what people are seeing, I'm seeing 4.5 stars out of 5 like, which seems pretty good?

The man with his whistle, mainly. It's in the 1, 2 and 3 star reviews which aren't shown near the top of the page. I was curious when someone mentioned strange reviews so I specifically looked for them and chose the low star reviews from the menu on the left.

Those reviews also say the spots are chosen by the management or whistle man so I would guess he chose the spot for the poor lady's camper-but I don't know, obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,245 ✭✭✭joeysoap

So the storm caught ’us’ ’ by surprise. Not ME, ‘us’. The public. Wasn’t a’full’ storm either, only a ‘breakaway’ tiddler.

Shades of Comical Ali. (Pun intended)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

joeysoap wrote: »
    So the storm caught ’us’ ’ by surprise. Not ME, ‘us’. The public. Wasn’t a’full’ storm either, only a ‘breakaway’ tiddler.

Shades of Comical Ali. (Pun intended)

Yes. I have to say that I thought Joanna was treading water somewhat there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Pretty annoyed with ME and their response to this storm telling us we were well warned about it, well hello it did not go orange until yesterday and watching Joanna at the ploughing on the news last night it barely got a mention, they can say what they like but they were caught out with Storm Ali unlike the amateur forecasters on this forum who called it spot on days ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭spookwoman

gozunda wrote: »
    Is the above photo - the same location as the photo shown below by RTE?

https://img.rasset.ie/0010a536-614.jpg?ratio=1.78

Btw the Sand dunes referred to comments on some tripadvisor reviews relating to tents & not the site of the caravan.

Check out some of lower reviews re the Fr Ted comments. Some of them are great described as a bit strange ...

From personal experience from the 2 or 3 times I was there I never had an issue. I was camping each time and I remember they used to let me use one of the camper van points for my laptop, I also remember them cleaning the toilets etc. It's basic, very quiet and back to nature.

I get the impression from some of those reviews they expected bunny rabbits hopping around and 5 star facilities.

The site I recon is one of the stared ones, you can see the other sides near the dunes that have campers
    JALoCbp.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Pretty annoyed with ME and their response to this .... they can say what they like but they were caught out with Storm Ali unlike they amateur forecasters on this forum who called it spot on days ago

Exactly, that's why I'll be keeping an eye on this forum for the potential of the next storm on Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Seemed a lot worse than Ophelia definitely more damage done should it have been a red warning?? Two people lost their lives today one in a bad way in hospital would a red have prevented these ?? Definitely a tricky situation your damned if ya do and your damned if ya dont

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭feardeas

Last year people were complaining about the red for Ophelia. Some places got battered today for sure but apparently ESB were at half the outages. Hopefully Sunday won't be bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

Seemed a lot worse than Ophelia definitely more damage done should it have been a red warning?? Two people lost their lives today one in a bad way in hospital would a red have prevented these ?? Definitely a tricky situation your damned if ya do and your damned if ya dont
    We also lost lives in Ophelia even with a red warning. I definitely think that the potential that this storm brought for damn dangerous conditions was totally under communicated by met eireann. This morning was downright dangerous to be driving in, branches and trees coming down all over, and worst of it during the school run/ work commute. Totally unacceptable from our national weather service, who need to seriously sharpen the pencil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I watched the forecast after the news last night. Very casual air to it. Poor showing by Met eireann

Lot of ppl are saying that unless a storm directly affects Dublin then it doesn’t get analysed enough or taken seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭coillsaille

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Until further notice, Storm Ali peaked at 75 knots (86 mph) at Mace Head, Co. Galway today. Here's how Ali looks, in terms of maximum wind gusts, in comparison with previous named Irish storms since 2015 (and Darwin of February 2014).

aeKayAz.png

Data comes from Met Éireann.

Great table Sryan. Just wondering if there's any way of finding out the various coloured warnings issued for each one?

Edit: Can't recall right now when the coloured warnings were introduced so maybe some of the storms in the table predate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

what bugs me is that they did not issue a red warning when it became clear that the wind would be at the red level

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

fergus1001 wrote: »
    what bugs me is that they did not issue a red warning when it became clear that the wind would be at the red level

The wind didn't reach red level, according to the stations, except for One station on the coast. Mace head.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Great table Sryan. Just wondering if there's any way of finding out the various coloured warnings issued for each one?

For Eleanor anyway Mayo was only at a yellow warning after being downgraded from an orange warning when that gust was recorded for Knock Airport, only to be added to the orange warning again later in the evening after the damage had been done.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭coillsaille

The wind didn't reach red level, according to the stations, except for One station on the coast. Mace head.

All the more reason for them to not go by wind speed alone. In my neck of the woods this orange level storm caused much more damage than previous red level ones that occurred in winter. As I said earlier in the thread ME should have considered the time of year and tree foliage. According to their own explanation of the warning system (put up by another poster earlier) they are supposed to consider such factors..

All the more reason for them to not go by wind speed alone. In my neck of the woods this orange level storm caused much more damage than previous red level ones that occurred in winter. As I said earlier in the thread ME should have considered the time of year and tree foliage. According to their own explanation of the warning system (put up by another poster earlier) they are supposed to consider such factors..

Aye but I was replying to the poster who said specifically that 'wind was at red levels', just told them it was not. I'm not getting involved in this whole debate you guys are having.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,832 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Artane2002 wrote: »
    Is the home place London or Ireland?

Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Great work there Syran too! @coillsaille I've kept observational notes for most of those storms listed by Syran (ironically didn't include storm Darwin). I don't think the coloured warnings were in use for Darwin, but they certainly were for the 2015 storms. For example, Clodagh had an Orange weather warning with forecast mean winds 60km/h to 80km/h, and gusts of 100km/h to 130km/h.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Darwin wrote: »
    Great work there Syran too! @coillsaille I've kept observational notes for most of those storms listed by Syran (ironically didn't include storm Darwin). I don't think the coloured warnings were in use for Darwin, but they certainly were for the 2015 storms. For example, Clodagh had an Orange weather warning with forecast mean winds 60km/h to 80km/h, and gusts of 100km/h to 130km/h.

Darwin had a (last minute) red warning IIRC.

Darwin and Eleanor both involved stingjets which are very hard to forecast in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

In fairness Northern Ireland broke its wind record today in Killowen County Down less than a mile away from carlingford county louth across carlingford lough

In fairness Northern Ireland broke its wind record today in Killowen County Down less than a mile away from carlingford county louth across carlingford lough

Not true either apparently.

https://twitter.com/BruenSryan/status/1042411155497648128

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Yep, Griffith Avenue in Dublin had massive branches everywhere, including on cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭Trebor176

Am I the only one thinking that there was more damage reported today than with Ophelia?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Record of the strongest winds during Storm Ali. Wind direction veering to a SW /W direction after the front went through.

tempresult_vdq2.gif

tempresult_xlk9.gif

tempresult_qvb3.gif

Loads of Trees down in Kerry including Tralee town. Saw crews out all day clearing up debris. Apart from a few branches no damage here. Saw a petrol station with a damaged roof unable to open for business at 08.45.

2fXy0v7.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Comparison of Ali v Ophelia.

DnensupXsAEFnel.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Aye but I was replying to the poster who said specifically that 'wind was at red levels', just told them it was not. I'm not getting involved in this whole debate you guys are having.

I'm a little confused here,

You are telling a poster that the winds did not reach red levels by providing data that shows in did reach red levels in some areas??

Where is the next nearest station to mace head?

If there was a risk it would reach these levels, and it was very close in large areas of the north west should the warning be given?

For me this is the reason that the color warnings are not flexible enough.

We should be told that is an currently orange warning, but a % risk it is going to hit red or very close to red at some point during the passing of the storm

• Registered Users Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I watched the forecast after the news last night. Very casual air to it. Poor showing by Met eireann

Lot of ppl are saying that unless a storm directly affects Dublin then it doesn’t get analysed enough or taken seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

That system also didn't seem to be as predictable as Ophelia. We had more focus on Helene than Ali which seemed to just come out of the blue in the forecasts as everyone in the media had been tracking Helene which turned out to be relatively uneventful.

Ophelia seemed to be far more obvious and there was a long run up to it which allows planning.
    This was definitely more of a sense of being taken off guard.

• Advertisement

ForestFire wrote: »
    I'm a little confused here,

You are telling a poster that the winds did not reach red levels by providing data that shows in did reach red levels in some areas??

Where is the next nearest station to mace head?

If there was a risk it would reach these levels, and it was very close in large areas of the north west should the warning be given?

For me this is the reason that the color warnings are not flexible enough.

We should be told that is an currently orange warning, but a % risk it is going to hit red or very close to red at some point during the passing of the storm

Mace head is in a very remote area, which you can see via google maps and right on the open atlantic coast. It shouldn't be used to determine red alerts alone for big areas.

Next nearest stations would be athenry or Newport, both of which recorded below the red level wind warnings, and were 20-30km/h below mace head.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement