Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ali : Weds 19 Sept 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Gusts are getting increasingly stronger and sustained in Castlebar currently, bringing some heavy showers as well.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Wexford also might need an Orange Warning, strongest wind may be brief but could gust 110 to 120 km/h late morning over an hour or so.

4247_tlb0.png

3988_wtd5.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭squarecircles

ummm,its like mental outside,pink lightning flashing constantly ,torrential rain and crazy gusts of wind,west Mayo.

where the hell did this come out of.

i wonder how grace is doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

whats with the netweather lightning detector,shows loads of strikes of the west coast

Same as this one..Lightning is happening
    http://www.lightningmaps.org/?lang=en#m=oss;t=3;s=0;o=0;b=;ts=0;y=53.8136;x=-6.048;z=7;d=2;dl=2;dc=0;

its just passed here now,that was a crazy half hour,i can see a massive anvil cloud with pink bolts with incredible convective shapes to the cloud in the last glow of light from the west,pass north eastwards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

The wind is gone very strong in Galway now did not expect this

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Fairly locked on now. Will it have a slight shift more N ?

tempresult_abc5.gif

tempresult_raw6.gif

ICON inclined to over do the wind speeds a bit in my opinion , very windy / stormy nonetheless.

tempresult_ylo8.gif

Isolated heavy showers this evening, and thunderstorms on west coasts with severe gusts. Otherwise dry and clear. Blustery with fresh and gusty southwest winds.

met.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Going from calm to very gusty to calm again here. Feels kinda ominous.

New Moon

Max gust of 76 km/hr south westerly in Castlebar so far and the rain is sheeting down.

• Advertisement

Powerful jet stream steering the storm. Will be interesting watching the satellites tomorrow for the tell tale signs of a sting jet and corresponding ground speeds if it occurs.

tempresult_dli6.gif

hr5BWLJ.png

View of the Storm off the NW and the developing system well off our W coast

D2u_wdv4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,613 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

John.Icy wrote: »
    Ah Darwin. The forgotten beast for many.

It's funny. Everyone is Ophelia Ophelia Ophelia but Darwin had stronger gusts at 17 of 23 Met Eireann stations (can't find mean 10 min data for Ophelia to compare there). Ophelia won in out and out strength but in many areas Darwin gave a bigger smacking.

Probably forgotten due to how quick it's peak intensity passed and no deaths recorded.

You can find highest 10-minute mean wind speeds for relevant stations over on Met Éireann's historical database (in the daily section): https://www.met.ie/climate/available-data/historical-data

Here's a comparison I made quickly together solely for this post with randomly chosen stations.

c9zSyzk.png

Data comes from Met Éireann.

hope grace is ok, i for one would not like to be on an island off west mayo tonight,as remote as i am.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 snic

Very impressive lightening for the last 10 mins about 10km West of Galway city.

Preparations here earlier near the Kerry coast :)

hU44TUe.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

Xenji wrote: »
    Some moderate gusts during the afternoon, but has been bright and calm the last nearly 3 hours, the islands around Mayo are always worse hit.

Reminds me of something a friend and I were talking about the other day. Obviously islands off the west coast in the atlantic are very exposed and can often get battered. But are islands in bays,where they have a land mass between them and the ocean (for instance Inisbiggle island in Blacksod bay ) considered the same way in forecasts as actual offshore islands,like the Aran islands etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭gugsy

squall line approaching galway city with lightening

thunderstorm clearing northeastwards earlier,surreal in the twilight

IMG201809182025291537301311.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

sryanbruen wrote: »
    You can find highest 10-minute mean wind speeds for relevant stations over on Met Éireann's historical database (in the daily section): https://www.met.ie/climate/available-data/historical-data

Here's a comparison I made quickly together solely for this post with randomly chosen stations.

c9zSyzk.png

Data comes from Met Éireann.

Thanks Sryan. I was only looking at their daily data summaries and the mean 10 minute speeds are only on a graph and I would have preferred the exact number.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

This is beginning to look ominous for East Galway
    Hope we dont lose power or parts of the roof!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

https://twitter.com/MetEireann/status/1042142848513191938

Still no more counties added to Orange however.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I have a flight at 06:25 from Dublin, how is it looking at the minute please?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

ploughing is now going to open at 11 tomorrow because of the storm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭sjb25

Preparations here earlier near the Kerry coast :)

hU44TUe.jpg?1

Ready here aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Liffey4A

hope grace is ok, i for one would not like to be on an island off west mayo tonight,as remote as i am.
    We should sponsor a personal weather station for out there, I'm sure it would get some interesting readings!

Few spectacular flashes to the North of Galway City around ten minutes ago

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Blinding flash of lightning here followed quickly by thunder! Wasn't expecting this.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Thargor wrote: »
    I have a flight at 06:25 from Dublin, how is it looking at the minute please?

As my post above.

Mace Head gusting at 94.5 km/hr on the 21.00 report, Newport 87 km/hr.

• Advertisement

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Blinding flash of lightning here followed quickly by thunder! Wasn't expecting this.

Where is here ????

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement