Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ali : Weds 19 Sept 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

Steviesol wrote: »
    You'd expect first wave will get out tomorrow using RWY16/34 but with delays for sure as not good for Ops and Taxi.

As veers 220-250 will be very dodgy 0800-1100z

What does OPS and Taxi mean ?
    I'm sure it's to do with flights... Taxi ing down the runways. OPS no idea though....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Mace Head and Finner gusting 92 km/hr and Belmullet 89 km/hr on the 22.00 report.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

We have a Wedding in Wexford on Friday. Everyone asking me about weather because I'm the 'expert' (I lurk this forum that's all).

Any idea what we're in for weather wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Forecast chart (from Spanish Met Office) for midnight, with approx. track of storm depression over the following hours added.

a8vfVCT.png

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Xenji wrote: »
    Mace Head and Finner gusting 92 km/hr and Belmullet 89 km/hr on the 22.00 report.

Power cut already in Achill.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Windy along the W coast this evening from the Depression off the NW.

The Prelude to Storm Ali.

rafales_uk_syc6.png

pression2_uk_ifo2.png

Latest ICON 18Z Gusts ( might be a tad overdoing the wind speeds )

tempresult_qbx6.gif

Max Wind Speeds

iconeu_uk1-52-19-0_dbu9.png

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Steviesol wrote: »
    What does OPS and Taxi mean ?

Ground operations and taxing - the runway is not ideal for the capacity the airport needs, will result in longer taxiing from the gate to runway than if using rwy 28

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

jimbis wrote: »
    We have a Wedding in Wexford on Friday. Everyone asking me about weather because I'm the 'expert' (I lurk this forum that's all).

Any idea what we're in for weather wise?

Hopefully nothing like this.

https://youtu.be/V1mvYi0BT4U

UK Met Office highest gust forecast for tomorrow for the bigger towns (mph)

Cork: 49
    Limerick: 55
    Galway: 67
    Derry: 65
    Belfast: 60
    Dublin: 58

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

I love going to bed on a night like this knowing there will be a decent storm blowing in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,645 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

10mins of incredibly intense rain, with thunder and lightning in North Donegal.

Seems to have eased now.

Sign of what's to come overnight?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Flash of lightning in Galway Bay just now

There was one very bright flash of lightning and a crash of thunder here about that time too. West mayo; offshore island

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

Just had rain falling here in Eglinton at a rate of 76-96mm per hour. Reminded me of videos I've seen of weatherbombs.  So much rain and wind just blowing it everywhere.  Gullies couldn't keep up with the rate it was falling.

Fascinating to think that by morning it'll be worse.

On a different note, kinda raging that I've just come home from spending 3 nights in Clifden, Mayo.  Absolute torrential rain there for most of the day yesterday.

It is amazing how 'winterly' it looks and sounds out there tonight (though still very warm) and we only in the middle of September, which traditionally is one of the more settled and benign periods of the year. Hopefully just a taster of things to come this coming winter.

New Moon

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Wishing I was back in Galway now :)
    Nice calm night in Cork city.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,960 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Quare dose of driving rain there for a bit up here in the NW, had to turn the tv up ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭pauldry

yeah lashed here too in Sligo for 15 minutes and Id say there was near 10mm

Gusty too. Over 40 knots

Id say 60 to 70 knots tomorrow easily in Mace or Malin. Northern Ireland possibly 75knots

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Just had rain falling here in Eglinton at a rate of 76-96mm per hour. Reminded me of videos I've seen of weatherbombs.  So much rain and wind just blowing it everywhere.  Gullies couldn't keep up with the rate it was falling.

Fascinating to think that by morning it'll be worse.

On a different note, kinda raging that I've just come home from spending 3 nights in Clifden, Mayo.  Absolute torrential rain there for most of the day yesterday.

In Limerick City...no sign of bad weather very calm and dry...for now:D

ummm,its like mental outside,pink lightning flashing constantly ,torrential rain and crazy gusts of wind,west Mayo.

where the hell did this come out of.

i wonder how grace is doing.

All fine here. I was half asleep when I saw a flash through closed eyelids and heard thunder. Made sure all the critters were safe inside and that I had candles and matches by my bed and hunkered down . The noise was phenomenal. Easier now thankfully.

Whispered wrote: »
    I've to be out, 9am - 1pm, toddler in car for some of that time. Rural roads in Kilkenny. Considering cancelling plans but would need to do so in the next hour or so. Usually I'd be quick to take the safety first route but it's not even orange for the area. Conversation here though makes me think maybe it will be?

surely best to err on the side of caution?

• Advertisement

Graces7 wrote: »
    There was one very bright flash of lightning and a crash of thunder here about that time too. West mayo; offshore island
    Hope you've battened down the hatches out there Grace. Stay safe and cosy:)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 HelloMrSnowman

How's it going everyone, first time back since the snow in March. Just wondering will Kildare and Dublin see much of this? Or will this be more of a Western event?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭tashiusclay

I'm supposed to be going hiking tomorrow evening about 5pm along the coast outside Westport in Mayo, will it be looking like I'm going to be cancelling, or might the wind have died down by then..?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

ECM has 85-kt winds at 925 hPa (<550 m amsl) along the west in the morning. Around 10 knots of shear between it and the 850 hPa level, so overall gusts likely to be 80-85 kt at Mace Head by 7-8 am. By 10 am the core of strongest winds has weakened slightly but still 60-70-knot 925 hPa winds over a wide portion of the country. Major disruption at Dublin Airport likely for a couple of hours around noon before winds swing from 220 to 250 °.

ecm0125_millikort_gh925_uv925_windshear850-925_2018091812_018.png

ecm0125_millikort_gh925_uv925_windshear850-925_2018091812_021.png

• Registered Users Posts: 11,800 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

9.20pm I was on the throne (TMI maybe? :) ) and the heavens absolutely opened up and then some for a good, nearly a minute, I would say - rest of fam downstairs said the Sky box lost signal and said "no signal can be found" - really windy along with lashing rain ... and then it stopped as quick as it started!

Whispered wrote: »
    I've to be out, 9am - 1pm, toddler in car for some of that time. Rural roads in Kilkenny. Considering cancelling plans but would need to do so in the next hour or so. Usually I'd be quick to take the safety first route but it's not even orange for the area. Conversation here though makes me think maybe it will be?

That's my neck of the woods too, - it looks like we won't get the worst of it. Still, there could be falling branches and dangerous gusts, - I'd be nervous in a car especially with a small child.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Graces7 wrote: »
    All fine here. I was half asleep when I saw a flash through closed eyelids and heard thunder. Made sure all the critters were safe inside and that I had candles and matches by my bed and hunkered down . The noise was phenomenal. Easier now thankfully.

Grace, coming at you in particular early morning. Stay safe.

hope grace is ok, i for one would not like to be on an island off west mayo tonight,as remote as i am.

Well, bed is bed is bed! Well organised thanks to all the good warnings. The power is stable here and even my computer dish is OK.

Nothing to set foot out there for.

Had to open the door to let cats in and out until they started refusing to go out..

IT WAS VERY LOUD THOUGH!

Takes me back to the North Sea island though. There was one storm when gusts were measured at 124 MILES per hour. A neighbour's chicken house literally took off and I was hanging on to washing poles trying to get to feed my stock. You felt as if the very skin were being flayed off your face. Huge boulders blown across fields.

So now I just organise and hunker down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

If Sunday does happen as projected by this evenings gfs it will make tomorrow look like a sorbet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 fifijk

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    It is amazing how 'winterly' it looks and sounds out there tonight (though still very warm) and we only in the middle of September, which traditionally is one of the more settled and benign periods of the year. Hopefully just a taster of things to come this coming winter.

Hopefully you say....omg I'm ****ting myself. Fecking hate this weather.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement