Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Service legal name VS business name

Options
  • 17-09-2018 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭

Hi, all,

Can someone explain the difference between service legal name and business name in Ireland?
    I googled but still a bit confused. Is service legal name same as company name??!?!?
    Million thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

What do you mean by 'service legal name'? Are you referring to the legal name and/or registered office of a company for service of legal proceedings? A business name is just that - a name owned by a person/company, it is not a legal entity.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭booksale

Thanks for your reply. Yes that is why I was confused. I think it’s legal name it’s referring to. I was filling a form and was asked about the the service legal name.

If I registeRed with CRO a business name, it will be my legal name, is it? Or my own true name the legal name ?

I think as a sole trader, the legal name is my true name and then I register a business name with CRO if I need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

As a sole trader you are 'the business'. If you trade as John Smith there is no need to register a business name, but if you're selling as 'John Smith t/a Book Sale' you need to register the business name. See this old post here for the different styles

Thanks pedroeibar1.

• Advertisement
Advertisement