Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carers allowance for shared custody

• 17-09-2018 10:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

My ex and I have shared custody of our children (one of whom has a severe ID). The custody is split over the week (to allow me to work) rather than week on/week off. Does anybody know if this meets the eligibility conditions for carers allowance (we were receiving before so this is a question around the custody arrangements rather than his condition)?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Plopsu wrote: »
    My ex and I have shared custody of our children (one of whom has a severe ID). The custody is split over the week (to allow me to work) rather than week on/week off. Does anybody know if this meets the eligibility conditions for carers allowance (we were receiving before so this is a question around the custody arrangements rather than his condition)?

2 people can share the CA for the care of one person if they split the care tasks- it does look like it needs to be week on/week off though.

From Citizens Info (click for full link):
    Care sharing

Two carers who are providing care on a part-time basis in an established pattern can also share a single Carer’s Allowance payment and the annual Carer's Support Grant. Each carer must be providing care from Monday to Sunday but can do so on alternate weeks. A carer providing full-time care on a part-time basis is required under legislation to provide this care for a complete week (Monday to Sunday).

A carer who is providing care on a part-time basis to someone who attends a residential institution, for example, every other week, can also be accommodated on the Carer’s Allowance scheme.

You must meet all the usual qualifying conditions for Carer’s Allowance.

Maybe give them a call and explain your situation? Be aware though that to get carers allowance you can only be working 15 hours outside the home per week.

Advertisement