Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Fonfix thread - lost device

Options
  • 17-09-2018 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭

There are quite a few threads about this crowd on here, just adding another voice to the mix.

I bought a new phone in March and took out insurance on it with Gadgetinsurance.ie (Blu Insurance) in July. I dropped it and broke the screen about 3 weeks ago. Got onto the insurer who processed the claim, took my excess payment of €75, and advised I either ship or deliver the phone to Fonfix in Sandyford who would do the repair for me. I chose to deliver as I work nearby, dropped the phone off at reception and was advised I could follow the progress of the repair using the tracker on their website.

In fairness to Fonfix I can't fault this part of the process, the tracker updated a few hours later and I was able to see that the phone had been inspected, repaired, tested and then dispatched over the next 48 hours. My repaired phone was delivered on Monday 10th September

When I set the repaired phone up everything looked ok, however later that day I had the brightness turned down and I noticed that the backlight was not even, and on a grey screen a very noticeable pink cast was noticeable (pic attached). The phone has an OLED screen so this suggested the display itself was faulty.

I contacted Gadgetinsure.ie who asked me to send my pictures of the fault, and then agreed that it needed to go back to Fonfix for evaluation. I dropped the phone in (in person) again on Wednesday 12th with a printed description of the issue and copies of the photos I took. The guy at reception checked with colleagues in the back and told me that their insurance department was taking it in and I was advised I should have it back in 3 business days. The repair tracker on their website still stated 'repaired, case closed' on Thursday and when it still hadn't updated by Friday just gone (14th) I emailed them for an update as I wanted to confirm that the fault had been identified and was being repaired. The reply stated that as the device was being repaired under the account of my insurer I wasn't the customer and they couldn't deal with me. I followed up with my insurer but Fonfix closes at lunchtime on Fridays so they couldn't get an update for me.

Fast forward to this morning, I got back on to gadgetinsurance who told me that the update from Fonfix was that they never received the device - despite the interaction I had at reception etc. The remedy at this point seems to be that I've had to give an estimate of the times I was there so that they can check their camera for me handing the phone over. I've no idea if they even have CCTV in the reception as it's a fairly basic office, so unless I can prove it that way what are my options? I've yet to have to argue with my insurer but if Fonfix maintain they never received the device and I have no proof (they don't issue receipts or anything like that, I asked) I feel like I'm going to have to report it lost and pay another €75 excess to replace...

I could be getting ahead of myself as the case is still pending, but I wanted to post this while I was still annoyed enough to do so partly as (another) warning to people who might be using Fonfix - I've had one faulty repair and now a lost device.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

did you get nothing like a receipt etc when you dropped in your phone? Ask fonefix if that is normal procedure, it doesn't sound right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

did you get nothing like a receipt etc when you dropped in your phone? Ask fonefix if that is normal procedure, it doesn't sound right.

Nope, specifically asked at reception the first time I was in and was told they don't issue them. Annoyed I didn't insist or even take a photo of the phone on the reception desk now.

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Mike3549

Nope, specifically asked at reception the first time I was in and was told they don't issue them. Annoyed I didn't insist or even take a photo of the phone on the reception desk now.

If you are on android, check your account timeline history. It will show you your journeys and locations. Yes, google knows everything.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Mike3549 wrote: »
    If you are on android, check your account timeline history. It will show you your journeys and locations. Yes, google knows everything.

Still doesn't prove he gave the phone to them, it would only prove he was in that location with a device with gps/location services.

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Mike3549

Cabaal wrote: »
    Still doesn't prove he gave the phone to them, it would only prove he was in that location with a device with gps/location services.

Well yeah but you have a time and know what happened next with the phone. Worth looking in to it

• Advertisement

I usually have location history turned off but by a stroke of luck the spare phone I was using was active so I was able to get a specific visit time. I called in to them this morning and at some point between last night and this morning my phone was located and is now being repaired. Almost disappointed it wasn't gone forever, I have no confidence in them fixing it now and would have nearly rathered a replacement, but will update once I get it back.

Cabaal wrote: »

Also gives them a time to check their cameras. Last night they weren't cooperating and claimed they never received it, today suddenly it's back on the system and they're pretending it's been 'awaiting parts' this whole time.

Advertisement