Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HAP - Housing Assistance Program for landlords

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭The Student

madwidow wrote: »
    Dont understand the hang up with the color. Atleast vents can go against improvements. I got 2 items over the phone thankfully. Report nowhere in sight yet

The inspector was on a "power trip" not realizing that there is a housing shortage. Rather than engaging with me in a constructive manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

The inspector was on a "power trip" not realizing that there is a housing shortage. Rather than engaging with me in a constructive manner.

We should all comply with the legal framework or sell our rental properties.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

davo10 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the tenant contribution to rent is paid to the Council, and if the tenant stops paying it, the Council will not pay the HAP to the LL.

The landlord must properly vet his tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭The Student

So the color of the property (magnolia and white) is now part of the legal framework!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

The landlord must properly vet his tenants.

Oh right, what does someone who is going to convert to HAP look like? What is it about a person that indicates that they are going to stop paying their HAP contribution?

All we can do is check references, check RTB site for tenants name and take up a deposit, is there another way of vetting a HAP tenant?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,989 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

K.Flyer wrote: »
    You can only start the process if there is a valid reason.
    HAP not engaging is not a valid reason.
    The tenant may still be able to continue to pay the rent. If you are still receiving your rent and the tenant is not causing any difficulties and is happy to stay, what grounds would you have for eviction.

If the tenant is on HAP then they can't pay the rent. Because if they can then why the feck are your and my taxes paying their rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,989 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The HAP are requiring items that aren't legally required for properties. If you rent a property it must comply with the regulations from when it was built and have the correct safety equipment as per legislation. The HAP want the property to comply with current building regulations, which has no legal basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Del2005 wrote: »
    If the tenant is on HAP then they can't pay the rent. Because if they can then why the feck are your and my taxes paying their rent.

Not quite true.
    The criteria for applying for HAP alliows for someone employed, or self-employed, but with having been accepted for the housing list and with an income below a certain threshold, to apply.
    The tenant may already be able to pay their rent etc, but only just about, and given certain circumstances may be able to avail of HAP to ease that burden, which in turn, all being correct, reduces the chances of missing any rent payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

As regards the tenants non payment of their portion of HAP the landlord should vet his tenants.
    By asking if he has a steady job that will pay the rent? A work reference?

Seriously, what questions are you legally allowed to ask people on HAP? If they smoke, drink, or an excel sheet of their money planing for the last 6 months?

Advertisement