Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 229 Nurmagomedov vs McGregor - Sat Oct 6th **Warning in first post!**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

McGregor by Sub
    TJ Mackie wrote: »
    How was Khabib himself not arrested? :confused:

Don't think he hit anyone?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

ricero wrote: »
    Once religion was brought into this feud it was no holds barred for these lads.

I am by no means defending their actions which i thought was disgusting but this is the reason i reckon they did what they did.

“At UFC 229 in Las Vegas, Khabib Nurmagomedov defeated Conor McGregor by submission in order to defend his UFC lightweight title at UFC 229. One McGregor tapped out, Nurmagomedov refused to win with grace. Instead, the Russian fighter spit on McGregor as he was walking away.”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

Guffy wrote: »
    Not a notion they fight again.

1) Khabib wont get licensed

2) Conor was hammered tonight, wasn't even close. Not even a little.

He was hammered indeed but feel like he was hammered in a wrestling match as opposed to a fight....Not sure if that makes sense..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Not a big fan of MMA at all but always interested to see the occasion that is a big McGregor fight. Disgraceful scenes, genuinely shocking really that a fighter can conduct himself like that. Finding it hard to have much sympathy for McGregor however. He has disrespected so many fighters this was probably bound to happen at some stage in his career.

It was a very interesting fight aswell, shame what happened. the different styles made it a good watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,851 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

McGregor by Sub
    I wonder will JK still do JRE, that will be ****ing interesting!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,736 ✭✭✭ASOT

McGregor by Sub

He launched himself at danis and whoever else was in the vicinity to be fair, and I'd be fairly sure he's getting stripped.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Sure he is, just like after the bus incident ? :rolleyes:

Dana is creaming his pants right now at all the money he's going to make when these 2 fight again.

we want to see a rematch about as much as we want to see mcgregor and mayweather rematch. conor was schooled big time tonight. he has lost the hunger, featherweight was more his level.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Nurmagomedov by Decision
    irishman86 wrote: »
    Nothing beats a Conor McGregor thread for showing just how Irish people hate to see other Irish people do well
    Its quiet sad

Love seeing the Irish do well, take for example the O'Donovan brothers, what an amazing example of two Irish athletes vs Mcgregor and not just how he behaves but how it influences the crowd that follow him.

The man is a clown, he's now filthy rich but still a clown and I don't see why I need to support his embarrassing antics just because he's Irish. Respect comes in different forms and needs to be earned.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

I thought he landed swinging. Hard to tell from the rubbish phone footage really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

McGregor by Sub

He jumped feet first at Dillon Danis.

Camera angle didn’t capture it, fan footage from the crowd on twitter got it. Looks bad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    jimmii wrote: »
    Yeah making it so that he's possibly never allowed back into America again is a great set up for a rematch!

If Conor isn't banned from the US, Khabib won't be either.

Khabibs training partners on the other hand, they're off to fight on M1 Global cards for the rest of their lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭MagicThree18

irishman86 wrote: »
    Nothing beats a Conor McGregor thread for showing just how Irish people hate to see other Irish people do well

I'd normally agree with you, because we have a track record of it in this country. However Conor isn't the usual Irish success story. Personally I think he's turned into a deeply unlikable character. I'd supported him over the years, and on a strictly sporting level I'm disappointed to see him beaten last night. But his arrogant, insulting personality have went from a type of clever, profitable WWE routine, to a genuinely unpleasant character trait. He's now the type of ridiculous comic-book villian that people are going to enjoy being beaten and I can assure you it's not just Irish begrudgers that feel that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

McGregor by Sub
    ricero wrote: »
    Once religion was brought into this feud it was no holds barred for these lads.

I am by no means defending their actions which i thought was disgusting but this is the reason i reckon they did what they did.

Because their religion is posionous and the enemy of the world? Agreed.

Mod: Banned for 3 days - no place for that kind of talk here..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,133 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I suppose proper MMA fans would have predicted fight was going that way. Never saw a fight like that before - never saw a guy just want to pin you to the ground so much...I don’t think I’d be staying up for Khabib fights - always seemed in control...What there anything Mcgregor could have done?

Nothing. He traps your legs, drags you down and just goes to work. It's just a mauling.
    It's McGregor striking that surprised me, it was so poor.

McGregor by Sub
    If Conor isn't banned from the US, Khabib won't be either.

Khabibs training partners on the other hand, they're off to fight on M1 Global cards for the rest of their lives.

Poor artem two fights cancelled by two scummy incidents

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    He jumped feet first at Dillon Danis.

Camera angle didn’t capture it, fan footage from the crowd on twitter got it. Looks bad.

There aren't many professional grapplers or MMA fighters who wouldn't do the same to Danis if they had the chance. He's a bottom feeder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭ALS

In case you missed it

https://youtu.be/zF0vuaNvTz4

• Registered Users Posts: 29,851 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Because their religion is posionous and the enemy of the world? Agreed.

Holy sh*t what an awful attempt to segue, you live up to your username at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Wailin

Nurmagomedov by Decision
    He was hammered indeed but feel like he was hammered in a wrestling match as opposed to a fight....Not sure if that makes sense..

He was getting hammered trading punches as well. Two years out of the octagon and it showed big time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Was impressed with mcgregors defense to the takedowns and ability to survive on the ground as much as he did but he didn't look to be at his best in the standup, seemed sloppy, not sharp + controlled like in diaz/alvarez fights. Its like he just said feck technique just go after the guy for whatever reason. Could have lost some of his reflexes from the layoff and not training as much so that was the chosen gameplan. Oh well.

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    ASOT wrote: »
    Poor artem two fights cancelled by two scummy incidents

Yeah. Getting screwed from all sides. The 145 GOAT just out here trying to bang.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    World class wrestling and submissions with striking mixed in.... So... Mixed Martial arts is what will have you lose interest in... Mixed Martial arts

Taking guys down and smothering them. Boring as hell. I'm not an MMA purist. I like an entertaining fight. Like Tony and Anthony.

EoineyM wrote: »
    Stupid actions all round. Bottom line is dont f$*k with the russians. McGregor clearly thinks its all words in the build up and part of the game. Not to some.

McGregor and a lot of his fans don't get that the way McGregor goes on isn't an act when some other people do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,341 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Part of the reason why Conor is so wealthy is even people who hate him will stay up until all hours in the morning hoping to see him get his ass kicked.

McGregor by Sub
    Yeah. Getting screwed from all sides. The 145 GOAT just out here trying to bang.

Nice fella he is , just like to scrap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Nurmagomedov by Decision
    pgj2015 wrote: »
    we want to see a rematch about as much as we want to see mcgregor and mayweather rematch. conor was schooled big time tonight. he has lost the hunger, featherweight was more his level.

Yeah, he should stick to fighting lads that are smaller than him.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,393 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Well for one you got outraged when Marcos suggested that at the end of the third Khabib had won all three rounds when it was perfectly conceivable.

Outraged, lol?
    I said Khabib did nothing in the third. I stand by that. I reckon the stats back it up.
    He was up 2 rounds with a probably 10-8. I also said that on thread also. I think that's fair tbh.l

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

rob316 wrote: »
    Nothing. He traps your legs, drags you down and just goes to work. It's just a mauling.
    It's McGregor striking that surprised me, it was so poor.

First time seeing Khabib - not really sure what could be done - he won’t really engage with and just tries to get a guy on the floor - I presume he’s done this to the 27 other guys....Very frustrating to fight I’d imagine...Looked like a fight maybe for the purists/technical folk...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭TJ Mackie

McGregor by Sub
    Here's another angle of khabib jumping in

https://twitter.com/AaronCGShore/status/1048815707167883264

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement