Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 229 Nurmagomedov vs McGregor - Sat Oct 6th **Warning in first post!**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    I don't understand some fans saying "McGregor deserved it" are fans so mentally retarded to not understand that he is creating hype to sell fights.

He went way too far with the trash talk this time. He was attaching Khabib's family, country, religion. And there was consequences for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭pgj2015

tony looks like a 70 year old man

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Not Dana after all!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

The fight was over once Conor got clipped. Had no pop in his shots after that. He made mistakes and was overconfident in my opinion. Didn’t give any respect to Khabibs striking.

But as I feared, Khabib is some animal. Just relentless. I stated here over last few days that I thought people were exaggerating how bad Khabibs striking was. It’s not technically great but his wrestling really helps it.

Not sure if I want to see Conor in there with him again. He should prob walk away now and enjoy his life and be proud of what he’s achieved. One of the best to ever do it in my opinion. Have had many a great night and trips to watch him fight. Win or lose his fights were always box office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    He's fought wrestlers before. Didn't stop him then. If you had that line of thinking you'd not throw a punch incase someone knocked you out

He fought one wrestler who was at a level even remotely comparable to Khabib. That was Chad Mendes. And they are very different wrestlers.

But your right he wasn't shy of throwing kicks or punches, he went in there without fear and that's impressive as fuxk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,393 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I haven't seen anyone attempting to justify it in the slightest. There have been some suggestions of "you reap what you sow" and that's about it. Nobody has said this kind of thing is acceptable..
    I wasn't having a go at you, or Marcos or anyone who'd typically sway against McGregor. You guys are honest, reasonable posters.
    There's been a silly amount of posts since the fight ended. I guess neither of us seen them all. I've seen some nonsense.

And as I said, my comments aren't exclusive to reactions here. The internets a big place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I don't understand some fans saying "McGregor deserved it" are fans so mentally retarded to not understand that he is creating hype to sell fights.

The bus thing, lobov, McGregor grasping at obscure insults in press conferences, it's just a performance, why would they buy into it?

His words are just that, words. The maturity of these guys hitting a drained and exhausted fighter whom they have never met personally and know nothing about is unbelievable.

No the bus thing wasn't just selling the fight. I think overall his hatred for khabib was less than khabib for him by the end of it, but he has a part in it all

Ah Conor had not hatred, if anything he was just trying to wind himself up to have something to fight for. I don't think he believed 90% of what he was saying, he just wanted to get khabib to waste energy and get angry and sell the fight. After all of these fight McGregor is jovial with his opponent and probably would have had a good thing to say about khabib had he not lost his mind.

It's all games

• Registered Users Posts: 36,355 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

all three cards were identical:

29-27 Khabib,

10-9 K
    10-8 K
    10-9 C

McGregor won a round for the 'it wasn't even close' contingent.

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    jimmii wrote: »
    Tony was just on the after show. Got a notification from the app saying Dana was up next.

Must be a serious delay to YouTube so.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Conservative

McGregor by Sub
    irishman86 wrote: »
    Nothing beats a Conor McGregor thread for showing just how Irish people hate to see other Irish people do well
    Its quiet sad

Love seeing the Irish do well, take for example the O'Donovan brothers, what an amazing example of two Irish athletes vs Mcgregor and not just how he behaves but how it influences the crowd that follow him.

The man is a clown, he's now filthy rich but still a clown and I don't see why I need to support his embarrassing antics just because he's Irish. Respect comes in different forms and needs to be earned.

The O'Donovan Brothers are embarrassing to me and I'm not even a big Conor fan.

Their achievements are not even comparable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Does BT post fight show the press conference??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Anyone looking for a breakdown of what happened afterwards, 3 of khabibs teammates tried to attacked Conor in the cage. The first guy took a left from Conor then backed up. 2nd guy in red came from behind and nailed Conor with 3 punches before being restrained. 3rd guy then came at Conor but took a left and tried to take him down whilst holding the hat that got knocked off his head. He took 2/3 after just going through a fight. Can't hate on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

I thought he was doing well with the take down defense. Striking (the one part you think he'd do well) was not up to par, fight went down hill for Conor after Khabib's clip. Ring rust is real but Conors too big for a tune up so went straight into the deep end, bad move.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

The conference feed is gone?

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Does BT post fight show the press conference??

No just the fs1 show.

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »

29-27 Khabib,

10-9 K
    10-8 K
    10-9 C

Judges are idiots to be honest.

It wasn't even close. He was getting mauled.

That said, as I said earlier today, there's no "getting found out" here. He lost on the night to one for the pound for pound greatest fighters on earth.

On another night he could have starched Khabib in 20 seconds.

At this level it's the best man on the night. They're all as close to eachother as makes no difference between Tony, Khabib, Conor and the next 3-4 fighters.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭TJ Mackie

McGregor by Sub
    I didn't think he threw anywhere near enough kick, I wonder did trying to get kicks out of his instincts for the duration of the Mayweather preparation upset his usual rhythm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

McGregor by Sub
    Mellor wrote: »
    I haven't seen anyone attempting to justify it in the slightest. There have been some suggestions of "you reap what you sow" and that's about it. Nobody has said this kind of thing is acceptable..
    I wasn't having a go at you, or Marcos or anyone who'd typically sway against McGregor. You guys are honest, reasonable posters.
    There's been a silly amount of posts since the fight ended. I guess neither of us seen them all. I've seen some nonsense.

And as I said, my comments aren't exclusive to reactions here. The internets a big place.
    Fair enough. Let's agree there will always be morons on both sides. Enjoy what's left of your BBQ, I'm off back to the scratcher!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Nurmagomedov by Decision
    Really puts into perspective the time that McGregor was squaring up to Woodley trying to fight him after Eddie. Imagine how that would’ve gone....

TJ Mackie wrote: »
    I didn't think he threw anywhere near enough kick, I wonder did trying to get kicks out of his instincts for the duration of the Mayweather preparation upset his usual rhythm.

Kicking vs wrestlers can be a pretty dangerous. I wouldn't have been surprised if he'd come out and thrown nearly no kicks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,851 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

McGregor by Sub
    ufc press stream stopped for me, mma heat going strong

martyos121 wrote: »
    Really puts into perspective the time that McGregor was squaring up to Woodley trying to fight him after Eddie. Imagine how that would’ve gone....

Yeah that was a fight he should never have been after! Clearly thought he could take any wrestlers he probably fancied his chances vs DC too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Think people saying oh mcgregor Kabib 2 will be massive for Dana are underplaying the effect the city will have on it.. if the hospitals are full up with Irish and Russians tonight and god forbid a fan dies due to punches or something like that. Vegas will not go near them again no matter how much money is thrown around the place. Also I doubt the fight will happen anywhere other than Vegas so really hope things are calming down over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Presser live stream, good quality.

Stream via ufc channel working fine for me still.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭thebull85

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    Irish outnumbering russians over there and still gettin the **** beat out of them, embarrasing night

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    martyos121 wrote: »

Woodley would decapitate Khabib too in fairness. He's just a massive man.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Judges are idiots to be honest.

It wasn't even close. He was getting mauled.

That said, as I said earlier today, there's no "getting found out" here. He lost on the night to one for the pound for pound greatest fighters on earth.

On another night he could have starched Khabib in 20 seconds.

At this level it's the best man on the night. They're all as close to eachother as makes no difference between Tony, Khabib, Conor and the next 3-4 fighters.

Down by 2 points in 3 rounds, would of been down another point if he wasn't submitted in the 4th.....thats not a close fight

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

29-27 Khabib,

10-9 K
    10-8 K
    10-9 C

Lol, he was destroyed.

Anyone got a link for all these fights apparently happening on the strip?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Ferguson repeating the same story about Conor at the weigh in seems a bit odd.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement