Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 229 Nurmagomedov vs McGregor - Sat Oct 6th **Warning in first post!**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

McGregor by Sub
    jon1981 wrote: »
    Lucky McGregor managed to dodge khabib until now...had he met him earlier in his career i highly doubt we'd be seeing proper 12 on the tesco shelves

This was by far McGregor's worst UFC performance, without question. Not using that as an excuse for him losing to Khabib but had he turned up as he did for the Alvarez fight it could have been a completely different story.

I'd say he's lost all his motivation, achieved everything he wanted and has his money made. Time for a retirement fight methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    A different perspective on maybe why Conor got jumped. Looks like he threw the first shot.

https://twitter.com/dont_tell_kay/status/1048831553629970433?s=19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭MagicThree18

hurler32 wrote: »
    Really showed the sport up for what it is ... lowlifes and scombags from all over Ireland destroying Ireland’s name ... it’s become the sport of drug dealers to show off their wealth

Scombags? Yeah, roysh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    Disclaimer: Zahabi is a Renzo Black Belt. Khabib regularly trains in Renzo's HQ in NYC.
    Khabib has trained with TriStar fighters. Renzo's guys and Danis have a looong history.

That being said, the man has a point.
    Dillon Danis is a low life.

https://twitter.com/Firas_Zahabi/status/1048809282815320064

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

This was by far McGregor's worst UFC performance, without question. Not using that as an excuse for him losing to Khabib but had he turned up as he did for the Alvarez fight it could have been a completely different story.

I'd say he's lost all his motivation, achieved everything he wanted and has his money made. Time for a retirement fight methinks.

Did he sign a 6 fight contract?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭ARNOLD J RIMMER

McGregor by Sub

I think Khabib made Conor look bad.

You could have 10 rematches and the result would be the same.

Khabib is a far superior fighter then Conor

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    People are seeing that they want to see

Conor threw the first punch at khabibs team when he was trying to get out of the cage

Is this the punch thrown after Khabib had jumped the cage and aimed a flying kick at McGregor's corner quickly followed by Khabib's corner rushing over to join in?

Nurmagomedov by Sub

He signed a 2 fight extension to a 4 fight contract that gave him a better purse and more ppv points.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Perry12

McGregor by Sub
    People are seeing that they want to see

Conor threw the first punch at khabibs team when he was trying to get out of the cage

Does it matter at that stage? Khabib had already jumped feet first towards McGregors team. Conor and the other guy were hardly trying to get out of the cage to have a chat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭MagicThree18

Pac1Man wrote: »
    A different perspective on maybe why Conor got jumped. Looks like he threw the first shot.

It doesn't excuse the guy that hopped into the ring afterward, but Conor won't be playing the victim now. Ban hammer hopefully. You cannot strike a member of your opponent's team like that, no matter what's happening elsewhere in the arena.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

Something like that. Doesn't mean he will fight. It's up to Ufc.

Though I think no matter how hard McGregor loses a fight or even a few he'll still be a financial draw so they'll find him opportunities.

Nurmagomedov by Sub

McGregor didn't much perform bad as Khabib mauled him. He didn't have a chance to perform at all, he just got manhandled.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Nurmagomedov by Decision
    jon1981 wrote: »
    Lucky McGregor managed to dodge khabib until now...had he met him earlier in his career i highly doubt we'd be seeing proper 12 on the tesco shelves

Exactly. The UFC protected him well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

McGregor didn't much perform bad as Khabib mauled him. He didn't have a chance to perform at all, he just got manhandled.

But that's what khabib always does. He smothers them.

Mcgregor was imo outperformed because he and his team knew exactly how khabib fights and walked straight into. Not sure how he could avoid it though either.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭EoineyM

McGregor humbled, never troubled Khabib who was entirely dominant. No point in a rematch. Tony Ferguson would fvk him up too.

Khabib was idiotic but no worse than anything McGregor has done. The 2 boys that attacked McGregor in the Octagon were a disgrace. Still probably the most entertaining part of the night.

GSP the absolute GOAT

Agree completely re GSP. And there was actually talk at one stage of a GSP McGregor superfight! Actually Khabib v GSP would be interesting

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    Oh look, Conor threw the first punch... what a surprise....

When will the hand wringing end?

https://twitter.com/RamGilboa/status/1048808154111336448

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

“It's real hard to get up at 5am & run 5 miles when you're in a 4 post bed wearing silk pyjamas” marvin hagler

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

McGregor by Decision

Doesn't mean he can't retire, just means he can't fight for anyone else

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭EoineyM

Disclaimer: Zahabi is a Renzo Black Belt. Khabib regularly trains in Renzo's HQ in NYC.
    Khabib has trained with TriStar fighters. Renzo's guys and Danis have a looong history.

That being said, the man has a point.
    Dillon Danis is a low life.

https://twitter.com/Firas_Zahabi/status/1048809282815320064

It will be interesting to see if Dillon Dannis remains part of the camp after this. When you have people like Marcelo Garcia and Zahabi (both decent and well balanced individuals by all appearances) questioning your character, there is probably some truth to it. Also despite all Danis' talk of him being a bigger and better version of Khabib clearly not true.

Anyone else surprised by what little impact McGregors punches had (both on Khabib and his cornermen). When you see how devastating his punches have been in the past, even on Diaz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭jefferson73

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

EoineyM wrote: »

Anyone else surprised by what little impact McGregors punches had (both on Khabib and his cornermen). When you see how devastating his punches have been in the past, even on Diaz.

Maybe i was half asleep but i didnt see mcgregor land what i would call heavy punches.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Conor is the man, walked right to him every round hunting the knockdown just like he said, have to respect that because it was not the best plan of attack. I feel the first takedown battle was pivotal, Conor needs to stuff that quickly to keep his sharpness but alas he failed after an entertaining scramble. A bit of ring rust from Conor in there as well I'd say, be really interesting when the inevitable rematch happens. Madness at the end there but you know we love it lads.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭Muscles Schultz

Pac1Man wrote: »

McGregor is a sore loser. His ass will be right ghtly banned. He’s sullying the good name of MMA at this stage of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Tapping out again though . All his losses coming this way . It smells of a school yard bully . In this fight and Diaz 1 he gave his neck to them when he knew he wasn’t going to knock them out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

McGregor is a sore loser. His ass will be right ghtly banned. He’s sullying the good name of MMA at this stage of it.

All started with khabib putting the crowd at risk. The rest happened as a reaction to that. Mcgregor stayed in the octogan. The trouble was brought to him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Nurmagomedov by Decision
    darced wrote: »
    Conor is the man, walked right to him every round hunting the knockdown just like he said, have to respect that because it was not the best plan of attack. I feel the first takedown battle was pivotal, Conor needs to stuff that quickly to keep his sharpness but alas he failed after an entertaining scramble. A bit of ring rust from Conor in there as well I'd say, be really interesting when the inevitable rematch happens. Madness at the end there but you know we love it lads.

There needs to be a match in order to have a rematch.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭average hero

I will talk about the antics after the fight in a later post but regarding the fight itself, I didn't enjoy it as much as I usually enjoy Conor's fights. I thought the Ferguson v Pettis fight was very entertaining though.

1) Prefight - I thought that Conor looked uncharacteristically nervous coming into the fight. I didn't like his walk-out or press conference , in stark contrast to his walk-out against Jose Aldo, for example. Khabib looked a bit rattled too but he seemed more 'in control' of it.

2) Striking - Conor seemed flatfooted and slow. Of course he is not going to bounce on his toes and stand completely upright against such an accomplished grappler but he seemed apprehensive and wasn't letting his hands fly much at all. He was constantly thinking of the possible takedown. He did catch Khabib with a few punches that stung him though. I didn't think that I would be saying that Khabib got the best individual punch in on the night but he did! In fairness, Conor recovered from it very well.

3) Grappling - I was very impressed with Conor's takedown defense. First round he didn't get put down easy and in the later rounds he stuffed some of Khabib's takedown attempts. When he was on the ground, some of his defensive work was impressive. What can I say about Khabib that hasn't already been said? He is possibly the best grappler that the UFC has ever had. He maybe does not have as many submissions to his name as others but his wrestling/sambo/judo style is unique. Particular credit has to be given to how he trapped Conor's legs.

4) Overall - I had Khabib winning the first two rounds clearly and Conor just edging out the third round due to the striking and takedown defense in that round. Khabib dominated the fight as a whole though and for me, he is undoubtedly the better all-round fighter, possibly one of the greatest ever in the UFC. I would love to see him fight Tony Ferguson next.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

Chat sh1t get banged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

McGregor by Sub
    Tilikum17 wrote: »
    There needs to be a match in order to have a rematch.

Yeah, many said that after he tapped out to Diaz..... a rematch was all he was interested in.

You think his mindset will be different after this loss? Not a chance.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement