Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 229 Nurmagomedov vs McGregor - Sat Oct 6th **Warning in first post!**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

If you considered being chocked out, mauled, he was, but I think it takes much more for one fighter to have done to another to warrant saying that they were mauled by them, than what we saw there last night........ for two rounds Khabib had McGregor on his back and there was little in it. Khabib as getting nowhere and landed almost no significant strikes.

It's wasn't until McGrgeor started tiring that Khabib was able to take his back and chocke him out, same as the Diaz fight and so I would his cardio is still one of the biggest issues he has, not his strength or bjj skills, otherwise he would have been choked out not long after being taken down.

I'd certainly be interested in a rematch anyway, as I feel he fought in a way that played to Khabibs strengths and not his own. It was obvious from JK's comments between rounds that he didn't want him walking Khabib down the way he was.

Time as ever will tell I guess.

Maybe we both saw the fight through shamrock tinted glasses but I totally agree with you.

The first round khabib literally just sat on top doing nothing. In fact, imo the ref could have stood them up.

The second was obviously a clear round to khabib, but in no way a 10-8 because he missed with as much he landed.

The 3rd was a round for Conor.

Then as expected conor ****e cardio jumped in and he lost the fight.

I'm not trying to say conor was ahead, far from it. But it was in no way a one sided beat down. He lost to the better guy on the night. That was about it.

His cardio is still fairly ****e for a top level athlete though.

Yes, easy for me to say while is sit here typing away eating a slice of toast, but he really needs to be looking into his cardio training more, if he decides to continue.

A few stupid miles on a push bike isn't the answer in my opinion.

Decent fight though, I expected khabib to really beat him up. But I didn't see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

Bit of class from Conor not pressing charges.......

After getting dominated and embarrassed, pressing charges would just look like the lad who says 'its my ball and I'm going home'.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

Khabib is a different breed in every sense, be beat the **** out of Conor, and I don't think Conor from two years ago could have done much more than tonight. Khabib is a freak.

I made this point weeks ago and was shut down by all the 'experts' LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    khaldrogo wrote: »
    After getting dominated and embarrassed, pressing charges would just look like the lad who says 'its my ball and I'm going home'.......

Hes done that with his bekts since he got um

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Faugheen wrote: »
    . Danis stands up, starts shouting abuse and then approaches the cage after the fight.

If he's humble and stays seated there's a chance this doesn't happen. Absolutely disgraceful scenes from everyone involved on both teams.

Have you never heard of Danis before? Humble is the very last thing you'd call him. He's a mouth piece.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    Yes, easy for me to say while is sit here typing away eating a slice of toast, but he really needs to be looking into his cardio training more, if he decides to continue.

hqdefault.jpg

joking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Sprinter Sacre

khaldrogo wrote: »

But that's the thing, a lot of these bullies or lads who act hard end up going crying when something happens to them. Like this Danis clown is already probably filing charges as we speak. Conor isn't a classy guy, but for him to seemingly accept what goes around comes around does deserve a mention.

Zahabi knows Danis personally, has done for years, and has dealth with his ****. The claim he's some borderline isis member is nonsense trying to distract from a man pretty much everyone in MMA would say is spot on giving an opinion about Conor's little pet.

Danis was finally kicked out of Marcelo's gym for being a disrespectful dick online. That's the final straw, not the only reason.

Danis isn't some innocent bystander here. He's a walking dumpster fire who got one of many slaps he has and will continue to get. Walking around telling one of the P4P best fighters on earth his family isn't safe because your sugar daddy doesn't like him, talking **** even after your sponsor just got man handled 5 feet from you and then ****ting your jocks when the man you threatened and talked **** to comes for you.

For all Conor's talk or Rats and cowards the fact that he has idiots like Danis and half of Crumlins worst canal algae in his camp is ridiculous.

Fair play to Conor though, he went in there and tried to back up his talk, got humbled and sat there and took his licks when Khabib finished him,but it's a humbling he built himself.
    You're getting worked up and making a fool of yourself, I assume you still have a rake of drink in you. Come back later and we can discuss it rationally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭MagicThree18

Amazingfun wrote: »
    That's not what happened. Khabib was already fighting outside the cage by then

Conor threw the first punch of the scuffle that he found himself in, inside the ring.

Khabib disgraced himself but Conor cannot excuse throwing a punch at a Khabib team member just because there was a situation developing outside of the ring.

Conor was not acting in self-defence. He was jumping over the side to get involved in the brawl, and while doing that he threw an unprovoked punch at another person.

Personally, I find that worse than his attack on the bus. With the bus he was causing damage to property which resulted in another person being injured. Tonight he threw a punch directly at a third-party inside the ring.

He's a thug.

My take on the fight:

First of all, people are really underestimating the impact that a 2 year break has. Look at Tyson Fury's return to boxing... He has fought 2 bums before even considering getting into the ring with an opponent like Wilder. You need to get the rounds and the feel and the confidence back. In hindsight, it was absolutely crazy for Conor to take this fight after such a long absence. He looked rusty to me and should have had a gimme fight as a comeback.

The fight itself, I think Conor had his tactics all wrong. I mean his takedown defence and overall defence was actually quite good. He's come a long way since Chad Mendes. But he was offering literally nothing of an offence. You need to give Khabib something to think about or else he has all the time in the world to execute the next takedown. I think Conor focused so much on his takedown defence and overall defence, that he forgot to focus on his own offence, which was probably rusty due to the 2 year break.

I think that Conor has all the tools he needs to beat Khabib. 2016 Conor that destroyed Eddie Alvarez would have done serious damage to Khabib in Round 3. Unfortunately he just couldn't get anything going. Probably a combination of being too worried about the takedown and rusty himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

McGregor by Sub
    Did you miss the bit where Khabib literally knocked Conor on his arse with an overhand right?

How does that negate anything that I have I said?

If anything it supports it as that happening as no doubt one of the reasons JK was telling him to stop fighting in the manner he was.

All the talk before this fight was about how good McGregor is at controlling distance, setting traps and countering while also not fighting in a way that would make him easy to take down, especially from low singles.... but yet look how he fought.

Khabib couldn't have wished for better.

In Diaz II McGrgeor was much more disciplined than the first fight, to such a degree that when he knocked Diaz on his arse a few times he didn't even try and follow up. Compare that with last night and he was effectively standing right in front of a fighter who is twice as good as Diaz at takedowns. Makes zero sense.

McGrgegor got beat fair and square but he did better on the ground against Khabib than almost any of his other opponents who he hit for fun. That wasn't the case here at all. Again, he was just out BJJ'd and that's hardly surprising. remove that (admittedly very important) aspect of fight and it was very even..... but yet people will say he was "destroyed" and "mauled". Nonsense.

If they fight again, and I think they will, I think it will be another very close fight and assuming he goes back to fighting in an manner that plays to his own strengths rather than Khabibs, there's a decent chance he'll get the win back as he did in the second Diaz fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

McGregor by Sub
    Conor threw the first punch of the scuffle that he found himself in, inside the ring.

Khabib disgraced himself but Conor cannot excuse throwing a punch at a Khabib team member just because there was a situation developing outside of the ring.

Conor was not acting in self-defence. He was jumping over the side to get involved in the brawl, and while doing that he threw an unprovoked punch at another person.

Personally, I find that worse than his attack on the bus. With the bus he was causing damage to property which resulted in another person being injured. Tonight he threw a punch directly at a third-party inside the ring.

He's a thug.

No, he didn't jump over the cage, and no, it was not "unprovoked".
    What a joke some of you are, sorry.

Carry on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    If they fight again, and I think they will, I think it will be another very close fight

But it wasn't a close fight, at all. Conor got mauled.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Mcgregor talking about a rematch on Twitter. Will need to be KO, he won't take the belt on points.

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    Its pointless they wont listen, he lost every rd but people wont accept that here

[IMG]Check out @nadeemshaikhs’s Tweet:[/img]https://twitter.com/nadeemshaikhs/status/1048865730723233792?s=09

• Registered Users Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭blade1

dave1982 wrote: »
    Its pointless they wont listen, he lost every rd but people wont accept that here

He won the third.
    Scorecards back that up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Carry on.

He clearly was trying to jump out, or at least feign like that was his aim.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

McGregor by Sub

He won the third round but whatever floats your boat

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

jon1981 wrote: »
    Mcgregor talking about a rematch on Twitter. Will need to be KO, he won't take the belt on points.

I think Conor wants his Rocky 4 moment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    blade1 wrote: »
    He won the third.
    Scorecards back that up.

One of the same Judges scored a fight 30-26 to Michelle Waterson earlier in the night.

Judges are often out of their tiny public servant, no knowledge of combat sports having minds.

McGregor by Sub
    He clearly was trying to jump out, or at least feign like that was his aim.

So what you're saying is he either was, or he wasn't. Crystal clear :pac:

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    ASOT wrote: »
    He won the third round but whatever floats your boat

Judges always get it right, forgot that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

McGregor by Sub
    I think Conor was soundly beaten but not necessarily mauled. I mean, Khabib has done this to everyone, I think we all knew if Khabib got the fight to the ground early it was going to end badly for McGregor.

I would agree that Conor seemed too worried about takedown defence to get a proper coherent offence going, though round 3 was a decent showing that leveled it off a bit. It would've been an awful loss if the ground and pound in R2 had finished him (though to be fair to Conor, he looked on the brink vs Mendes more than once as well).

So yeah, McGregor was soundly beaten, but I don't think it's any surprise, nor is it a particularly bad or embarrassingly loss either purely from the sporting POV (putting aside all the trash talk nonsense and humbling that followed).

Funny as well that the best punch of the fight was that solid knock-down from Khabib. I'd say that rattled McGregor something fierce.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Vital Transformation

Carry on.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ramgilboa/status/1048808154111336448?s=21

This video shows that Conor throws the first punch at one of Khabibs crew, both were trying to scramble the cage at the same time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

If Khabib is stripped of title, is it the same as boxing and belt is made vacant with no holder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Sprinter Sacre

It is plausible to give Conor the third but to say it was a close fight is just incorrect. He had the snot beaten out of him, and on a lesser event the fight might have been stopped in the second when Khabib was beating the **** out of him on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Carry on.

Ignore them. These are the same people who accused Conor of throwing stuff at the bus when it was clearly being driven towards him and just hit what he was holding in his hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

McGregor by Sub

If he got mauled his face would have been in bits as Khabib would have "smashed" him like he said he would (and almost instantly from taking him to the ground too) so why didn't he then? That was his goal, remember? "Change his face" but yet he barely landed a decent elbow or punch while on the ground, or at least certainly not many more than McGrgeor landed, and he had four rounds to do so too.

Go way outta that with your "mauled".

He was beaten on the ground by a fighter with better bjj skills. End of story.

Mistakes were clearly made. You'd want to be blind not to see that.

Let's go again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

McGregor by Sub
    Judges always get it right, forgot that

Ah that's a cope out mate give over. Watch the fight back he won the third.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement