Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 229 Nurmagomedov vs McGregor - Sat Oct 6th **Warning in first post!**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,841 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

"Close fight".

Some people still clearly drunk and need to go to bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

McGregor by Sub
    If you considered being chocked out, mauled, he was, but I think it takes much more for one fighter to have done to another to warrant saying that they were mauled by them, than what we saw there last night........ for two rounds Khabib had McGregor on his back and there was little in it. Khabib as getting nowhere and landed almost no significant strikes.

It's wasn't until McGrgeor started tiring that Khabib was able to take his back and chocke him out, same as the Diaz fight and so I would his cardio is still one of the biggest issues he has, not his strength or bjj skills, otherwise he would have been choked out not long after being taken down.

I'd certainly be interested in a rematch anyway, as I feel he fought in a way that played to Khabibs strengths and not his own. It was obvious from JK's comments between rounds that he didn't want him walking Khabib down the way he was.

Time as ever will tell I guess.

Listen up, he was mauled.

And the 'choke', was a forearm crank across Conor's jaw. There was no airway or blood choke.

Mauled from the bell.

Anyway I'm not getting into a tit-for-tat argument about it. People will see what they want to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭blade1

This video shows that Conor throws the first punch at one of Khabibs crew, both were trying to scramble the cage at the same time.

Seems so, right here
    11b6f6o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Nurmagomedov by Decision
    Keyzer wrote: »
    Going for doner Khabib on this one - by submission.

Should have put a bet on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Listen up, he was mauled.

And the 'choke', was a forearm crank across Conor's jaw. There was no airway or blood choke.

Mauled from the bell.

Anyway I'm not getting into a tit-for-tat argument about it. People will see what they want to see.

He done better than any of khabibs previous opponents regardless of outcome. If it didn't block airway or blood why was his head turning purple?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,188 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    Vince McMahon scribbling furiously for a few PPV ideas.

MMA may be a sport, but UFC definitely isn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭MagicThree18

Amazingfun wrote: »
    No, he didn't jump over the cage, and no, it was not "unprovoked".
    What a joke some of you are, sorry.

Carry on.

Are you still drunk or just completely blind?

Have you not watched the video of Conor trying to climb over the cage, before throwing a punch while at the top of it?

Come back to me when you sober up you sour little fanboy.

Mod: No need for this personal abuse..grow up a bit.

Keyzer wrote: »
    Should have put a bet on.

I thought I had it!!:(
    4l5zq9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

I think Conor was soundly beaten but not necessarily mauled. I mean, Khabib has done this to everyone, I think we all knew if Khabib got the fight to the ground early it was going to end badly for McGregor.

I would agree that Conor seemed too worried about takedown defence to get a proper coherent offence going, though round 3 was a decent showing that leveled it off a bit. It would've been an awful loss if the ground and pound in R2 had finished him (though to be fair to Conor, he looked on the brink vs Mendes more than once as well).

So yeah, McGregor was soundly beaten, but I don't think it's any surprise, nor is it a particularly bad or embarrassingly loss either purely from the sporting POV (putting aside all the trash talk nonsense and humbling that followed).

Funny as well that the best punch of the fight was that solid knock-down from Khabib. I'd say that rattled McGregor something fierce.

The punch didn't rattle him that much, he was immediately getting back up with eyes locked to khabib and throwing back right away. If you watch it closely he's caught as he's taking a backwards step, it wasn't a true knockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    ASOT wrote: »
    Ah that's a cope out mate give over. Watch the fight back he won the third.

I see it my way...you see it yours. Conor never looked like he was in control

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Rte news just now...leading with violence broke out after ufc fight...

Mention of the result at the end of the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,237 ✭✭✭✭walshb

McGregor by Sub
    If he got mauled his face would have been in bits as Khabib would have "smashed" him like he said he would (and almost instantly from taking him to the ground too) so why didn't he then? That was his goal, remember? "Change his face" but yet he barely landed a decent elbow or punch while on the ground, or at least certainly not many more than McGrgeor landed, and he had four rounds to do so too.

Go way outta that with your "mauled".

He was beaten on the ground by a fighter with better bjj skills. End of story.

Mistakes were clearly made. You'd want to be blind not to see that.

Let's go again.

He was kind of mauled...

10-9, 10-8, 9-10 and then subbed...

Khabib and his team need to be seriously punished.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

McGregor by Sub
    Are you still drunk or just completely blind?

Have you not watched the video of Conor trying to climb over the cage, before throwing a punch while at the top of it?

Come back to me when you sober up you sour little fanboy.

I don't drink Mr. Big Toughytuff ;)

What you and your team of super sleuths keep ignoring is the context in which all this is occurring. It was mayhem, and the man was just a minute or so after having been subbed. It wasn't a separate incident at all. This whole thing is Khabib's fault, but at least we have the rematch to look forward to, right :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

McGregor by Sub
    Did you miss the bit where Khabib literally knocked Conor on his arse with an overhand right?

Perfectly example of how people see want they want to see. His arse never even touched the ground.

https://twitter.com/mma__stats/status/1048809578224386050

I'm out. There'll be talk of how he was knocked unconscious next.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,338 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Fast enough hands there from Khabib alight, but two years ago Conor doesn't get tagged by that.

jon1981 wrote: »

That's to be expected really.

If Khabib just shook hands at the end he would have got global respect.
    Pity he had to ruin what was an excellent performance.

That is the news story though. The sports story is different but if you're making it to the news, it's because of crap like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Surprised at how easy he tapped out, didn't think you Could get your chin chocked out.
    Hope he packs it in now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    Suppose that's what happens when you spend months insulting a guys family, religion, home and come after him with a gang like on the bus.

Those Muslim guys take their religion seriously.

The two guys who jumped in and swung at McG should be let go from the UFC.

Dana trying to sound outraged was very funny.

What you and your team of super sleuths keep ignoring is the context in which all this is occurring. It was mayhem, and the man was just a minute or so after having been subbed. It wasn't a separate incident at all. This whole thing is Khabib's fault, but at least we have the rematch to look forward to, right :pac:

Spot on. That wasn't a punch thrown in isolation, it comes after Khabib launches himself into the crowd attacking a member of McGregor's team. McGregor's then on the top of the octagon and suddenly looks over to see one of Khabib's guys scrambling up beside him. He threw that punch believing he was protecting himself.

I'm far from a McGregor fan and hate his antics, but he did nothing wrong there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Surprised at how easy he tapped out, didn't think you Could get your chin chocked out.
    Hope he packs it in now

IT WAS A NECK CRANK

Do you still deny that Conor scaled the fence and threw a punch before he was accosted?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,051 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Khabib was justified to do whatever he wanted when ufc included the bus incident in the promotion

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

McGregor by Sub
    Dtp1979 wrote: »
    IT WAS A NECK CRANK

I wouldn't even bother, you'll just get the same mctapper, choked out, took the easy way out responses

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Draw
    This was by far McGregor's worst UFC performance, without question. Not using that as an excuse for him losing to Khabib but had he turned up as he did for the Alvarez fight it could have been a completely different story.

I'd say he's lost all his motivation, achieved everything he wanted and has his money made. Time for a retirement fight methinks.
    Your only as good as your allowed fight.That defeat had nothing to do with a loss of motivation.He was beaten by the better man.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    Conor done similar to Aldo if Aldo had reacted to conor jumping cage him, there would have been a brawl too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

McGregor by Sub
    Mcgregor talking about a rematch on Twitter. Will need to be KO, he won't take the belt on points.
    He may get in line behind Ferguson so. He's got the longest winning streak in the LW division and is the rightful champion.
    I reckon he'd take Khabib too.

Spot on. That wasn't a punch thrown in isolation, it comes after Khabib launches himself into the crowd attacking a member of McGregor's team. McGregor's then on the top of the octagon and suddenly looks over to see one of Khabib's guys scrambling up beside him. He threw that punch believing he was protecting himself.

I'm far from a McGregor fan and hate his antics, but he did nothing wrong there.

I'm unfortunate enough to work in a District Court each week. The amount of times I've heard that, and similar arguments, being put before a Judge. "I wasn't actually provoked or placed in imminent danger, but I chinned him just in case".

There's definitely the makings of a solicitor in you.

• Advertisement

I think people are seriously overestimating how much actual damage Khabib done to Conor.

Now Ferguson, he done a lot of damage to Pettis. Pettis will be feeling a lot of pain this morning.

In Round 1, Khabib took Conor down but Conor successfully defended. Round 2, Khabib hit him with that big shot. The ground and pound always looks bad but he didn't really land anything significant there. Round 3 was fairly even. Then Khabib got the submission in Round 4.

I doubt Conor is feeling any real pain right now.
    His defence was quite good overall. He lost that fight because he didn't offer enough himself, which allowed Khabib to just repeatedly go for the takedown.

If there is a rematch, Conor obviously needs to respect Khabib but he also needs to focus more on his own strengths.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement