Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 229 Nurmagomedov vs McGregor - Sat Oct 6th **Warning in first post!**

Options

Comments

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    J Mysterio wrote: »
    Depsite all the reports of fighting on thr strip etc, ive just seen footage of one fight? Possibly in the Arena lobby. Its overblown?

seems to be the case. no reports of mass brawls.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,338 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Depsite all the reports of fighting on thr strip etc, ive just seen footage of one fight? Possibly in the Arena lobby. Its overblown?

This is the internet, of course it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

Does anybody know of Conors' S&C coaches credentials?

Because I have to be honest, I'd be looking to him to see why conor is fading so quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,338 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Because I have to be honest, I'd be looking to him to see why conor is fading so quickly.

Look at his lifestyle. He's Apollo Creed to Khabib's Ivan Drago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

I bet that proper 12 tastes even worse now. Does anyone really want a re-match, should he get to run back every failure even though he doesn’t deserve it?

• Registered Users Posts: 56,237 ✭✭✭✭walshb

McGregor by Sub

Physiologically Conor is not built or designed for real endurance type cardio/stamina. It’s not naturally there to begin with. He is more short explosive cardio..

• Registered Users Posts: 39,386 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Who knows, but pretty much any time Danis opens his mouth is to say something crass and knuckleheaded. The lad is a wrongbrain.
    Danis is a clown that rubs people up the wrong way, a lot. Just has that head on him. you can see Danis motioned "come on then" to Khabib from outside the cage. But Khabib had turned and threw the mouth guard at the corner right after the fight. It was something said before the fight or during the fight imo.
    Kinda puts the whole is he or isn't he rattled discussion into perspective. He was clearly affected something, didn't affect the outcome but has cost him big time. His dad will smesh him for that as he said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    Well at least he csn go back to selling his dog piss whiskey.

Surely he’d be better off being the face of TAP water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

ricero wrote: »

If they (or indeed you) is questioning his innocence, what exactly is he guilty of??

Climbing halfway up a cage wall and not hitting someone before being pulled down and staying where he should??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Nurmagomedov by Decision
    John_D80 wrote: »
    If they (or indeed you) is questioning his innocence, what exactly is he guilty of??

Climbing halfway up a cage wall and not hitting someone before being pulled down and staying where he should??

Are you blind he clearly hits one of Khabibs corner men when their both on top of the octagon

McGregor by Sub
    Ban the ****ers throwing digs, give Khabib a ban and a hefty fine, have Ferguson vs winner of Diaz/Poirier for an interm, winner fights Khabib end of next year and for the love of god erase the existence of Dillon Danis

As for McGregor, I love the ****er as a fighter but cant stand his fake persona and most of his antics outside the cage, to be honest I wouldn't mind if he retired now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Two complete scumbags simple as that, if it was anyone but McGregor i'd feel sorry for him. As for Khabib he's a disguising excuse of a man, we've all seen the video of him and his thugs taking advantage of a homeless man, his connections to the Cheychans tell you all you need to know about his character, friends with a guy who basically keeps gay people in concentration camps. His crew are cowards, such a cheap shot to hit a guy with his back turned just after a fight. Khabib is just as classless as McGregor and if anything has even more unsavory elements to his character. 

I'v always hated that the most famous athlete from our country was that scummer. And no it isn't begrudge  i have no problem with numerous Irish actors, athletes, musicians who have made millions and had great success. people don't like McGregor because he represents a lot of the worst elements in our society nothing else.

Lastly i want to say i feel sorry for the hardcore MMA fans, i'm not a hardcore MMA fan i like the sport but i'm more a boxing fan then anything but i do have massive respect for most of the lads who compete and i have defended the sport from frankly misinformed comments about sport safety and the character of most fighters. However sadly last night only adds to the sterotype that MMA is just scumbags in a cage and the fans are just knuckle draggers, sad because for a lot of people this will be the only MMA fight they will watch or read about all year. Last night was a setback for the sport regardless of how much money it generated.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Just on the he rattled him narrative. There is a difference of hating someone and being rattled. I honestly think Khabib hates Conor. Aldo was rattled, Khabib wasn't imo

• Registered Users Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

By **** did I enjoy that fight, an absolute clinic put on. Can't doubt his record much now, one of the top pound for pound fighters, arguably the top pound for pound in the organisation had absolutely nothing for him.

Brutal domination.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

walshb wrote: »
    Physiologically Conor is not built or designed for real endurance type cardio/stamina. It’s not naturally there to begin with. He is more short explosive cardio..

Is it that cut and dry though?

I thought I remember BT doing a thing with him during his early days where they did some fitness tests with him for some TV show and they said he had the cardiovascular endurance of a high level footballer, but had way more power.

It just seems since the holloway fight, he can't do anymore than 2 legit rounds. While during the holloway fight he did 3 with ease.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26 odetooi

Two complete scumbags simple as that, if it was anyone but McGregor i'd feel sorry for him. As for Khabib he's a disguising excuse of a man, we've all seen the video of him and his thugs taking advantage of a homeless man, his connections to the Cheychans tell you all you need to know about his character, friends with a guy who basically keeps gay people in concentration camps. His crew are cowards, such a cheap shot to hit a guy with his back turned just after a fight. Khabib is just as classless as McGregor and if anything has even more unsavory elements to his character. 

I'v always hated that the most famous athlete from our country was that scummer. And no it isn't begrudge  i have no problem with numerous Irish actors, athletes, musicians who have made millions and had great success. people don't like McGregor because he represents a lot of the worst elements in our society nothing else.

Lastly i want to say i feel sorry for the hardcore MMA fans, i'm not a hardcore MMA fan i like the sport but i'm more a boxing fan then anything but i do have massive respect for most of the lads who compete and i have defended the sport from frankly misinformed comments about sport safety and the character of most fighters. However sadly last night only adds to the sterotype that MMA is just scumbags in a cage and the fans are just knuckle draggers, sad because for a lot of people this will be the only MMA fight they will watch or read about all year. Last night was a setback for the sport regardless of how much money it generated.

I think its great for the sport. McGregor might retire now and take his groupies with him. Also the McGregor haters will disappear now as they don't know any other UFC fighters to complain about. This will just leave the fans that have been watching for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭pudgeydev

Anyone know about the money side of things? Before the fight it was said that Khabib's payday would be bigger than all Khabib's previous fights combined, would that be right?

So if Nevada State decide to withhold the purse does that mean he gets nothing, or do they separate out the money (into PPV, ticket sales etc.?) meaning it's just one portion of the pay that he doesn't get?

• Advertisement

pudgeydev wrote: »
    Anyone know about the money side of things? Before the fight it was said that Khabib's payday would be bigger than all Khabib's previous fights combined, would that be right?

So if Nevada State decide to withhold the purse does that mean he gets nothing, or do they separate out the money (into PPV, ticket sales etc.?) meaning it's just one portion of the pay that he doesn't get?

10 million. He's currently worth around 900k

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

McGregor by Sub
    what a night.

overall, card was really great. highlights were the karate hottie fight, dereck lewis comeback and post fight hilarity and the ferg pettis war.

as for the main event, went like many predicted, thought conor did pretty good to neutralize khabibs damage when he was tied up. apart from that i thought conor looked nervous right from the start, and looked like he had no power to his shots somehow. did well to win a round but khabib is just too big and strong for him.

as for the post fight stuff - yeah scumbag **** from khabibs team and just plain dumb from khabib himself. dillon danis is an utter gowl and kind of glad he got a slap. sad that's what everyone is talking about when it should have been a celebration of a dominant champion.

really looking forward to khabib v ferguson.

not sure where conor goes from here. ferg has the right to fight khabib. conor's only options are novelty fights against GSP or silva or whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    Amazingfun wrote: »
    Conor sells fights. If Khabib had a brain he would have just shook Conor's hand, then rubbed his face in it all over the net, lol. He ought to be thanking Conor for the rest of his days, I mean will he ever make this kind of cash minus his star power? Doubtful.

No it’s all an act by Khabib to promote himself. Isn’t that the line when McGregor does something scummy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

odetooi wrote: »
    10 million. He's currently worth around 900k

Lolz...he could actually land himself in considerable debt.

sightband wrote: »
    Lolz...he could actually land himself in considerable debt.

Wha?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

By **** did I enjoy that fight, an absolute clinic put on. Can't doubt his record much now, one of the top pound for pound fighters, arguably the top pound for pound in the organisation had absolutely nothing for him.

Brutal domination.

Yeah it was a serious performance. And he is definitely on the P4P list for me. Tony was the clear fight to make after. But I have to say his actions and that of his corner will probably lead to a long layoff.

He'll never get the respect he deserves outside of the hardcore though. At least with strikers and BJJ guys, you can get exciting exchanges on the feet or the ground. The man on the street is never going to appreciate a top heavy brutal wrestler.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭TJ Mackie

McGregor by Sub
    When do the PPV figures typically come out for an event like this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

Lukker- wrote: »

Brutal domination.

Yeah it was a serious performance. And he is definitely on the P4P list for me. Tony was the clear fight to make after. But I have to say his actions and that of his corner will probably lead to a long layoff.

He'll never get the respect he deserves outside of the hardcore though. At least with strikers and BJJ guys, you can get exciting exchanges on the feet or the ground. The man on the street is never going to appreciate a top heavy brutal wrestler.

I 100% appreciate it as I am aware that it requires technical expertise

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

Who's got the best cardio in this weight division?

Khabib and Ferguson are up there.

Khabib doesn't drink at all, Ferguson admitted in the press conference he hadn't drank since February.

You see McGregor sipping his whiskey at the press conference in New York a week before the fight, we've all heard the stories of him being high on god knows what and pictured in night clubs in a state.

Is it a coincidence that the above two fighters that don't drink or haven't drank in 6 months don't gas whereas the fella who drinks and often looks high has a history of not being able to get his cardio right?

• Advertisement

Have a look at the khabib v Michael Johnson fight on YouTube. I'd say Johnson still flinches and gets flashbacks if anyone touches off him.
    Total massacre

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement