Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 229 Nurmagomedov vs McGregor - Sat Oct 6th **Warning in first post!**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I think Khabib let the emotion get the better of him in that third round, when the just stared each other down and traded shots. That was Conor's chance to take him.out, but he just didnt land the shots (or even really throw them).

Was a bit like Khabib saying, i have you on the ground, now let me beat you at your game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

J Mysterio wrote: »
    What?

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Agreed, also felt at time there were subtle tells he wasn't quite business as usual, but queried whether that was my own nerves more than anything... I wonder if JK on Rogan will call it like it is. Problem being, of course, it'll come off as excuses, and to be fair to them they're perhaps the least guilty of many camps for implicating excuses.

I think the truth here is Conor could've been on point and still lost decisively. That said, it seemed a poor showing last night for reasons beyond his opponents skill-set.

Spot on. Quite easy to write him off completely but he was up against a man ‘who has never lost a round’ before in the UFC. McGregor won the third on all 3 scorecards. Very little consolation of course, but enough to suggest if an on form McGregor comes out of the blocks like that when he had a bit more fizz in his shots, it could be a different story. Couple of big ifs, but if people are going to jump on the extremes to say his career is over, it’s only fair to focus on the extremes which say the opposite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    JJayoo wrote: »
    I don't get people critising McGs cardio, I thought his gas tank was much improved especially when you consider the amount of time he was trying to defend Khabib wrestling.

Also earlier some old dope was giving out about McG and UFC saying it's a bunch of thugs I replied " you would never see any fighting at a GAA match..." Lol he didn't have a reply

Yeah, his gas tank wasn't the issue here. He conserved energy well when he was on bottom in the first and defended really well.

He was beaten by a better fighter, that's all there is to it.

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    scratches head.

Were you one of those ole ole fanboys that got knocked out last night because I can't fathom any reason as to think anyone could suggest McGregor didn't throw the first punch here!

Seriously!

speaking of which the muppet who got laid out got that as swift retribution for spitting into the faces of the other group. looks like the weight cut was just too much for this guy to handle :)

https://youtu.be/rZhduV6cRZ8?t=108

another lot to be be proud of. although very representative of the fanbase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Nurmagomedov by Decision
    Yeah, his gas tank wasn't the issue here. He conserved energy well when he was on bottom in the first and defended really well.

Agreed the loss might have been inevitable, but do you think that's the best version of him?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,735 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Basically just this yeah. No need for over analysis. Did well at times defending, stuffed a few takedowns, got knocked down and got back up, took a flurry of great hard shots on the ground and got back up but had to tap in the end. Just too much pressure.

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    Agreed the loss might have been inevitable, but do you think that's the best version of him?

No version of him Beats Khabib last night. None.
    Khabib fought perfectly and did exactly what everyone expected him to do game plan wise.

I think he took the third off to conserve energy for the championship rounds and felt comfortable doing so because he just didn't respect Conor's power, especially after dropping him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

McGregor by Sub
    snotboogie wrote: »
    That’s a tad over the top, he was comprehensively beaten but if you take away the pre fight nonesense there was nothing to be embarrassed about at all in the actual fight. It was a pretty standard Khabib win.

True but the fact that he didn't even outbox him and as soon as he was in trouble gave him his back again isn't very good. He doesn't deserve a rematch. No hunger any more as he has enough cash to last 10 life times. Don't blame him or any thing any of us would be the same with a bank account like his.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

McGregor by Sub
    McGregor was on his way out also, in fact he was on his way out before Khabib's cousin ran over.

"His team was under attack" :D

FFS !

Khabib didn't go out there to tickle Dillon Danis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    Was it Javier Mendez that McG hit on the cage? It looks like him and he was carrying Khabibs hat.

Javier Mendez is the head coach for AKA.

If it is him then he certainly wasn't trying to hop the cage to start fighting, but at the same time can't blame McG too much for punching him as everything was going crazy.

And if it was him then I can also get why the two other guys went for McG.

Disclaimer: not sure it is him but it was funny him trying to hit McG back with the big wooly hat

• Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Nurmagomedov by Sub

I think his gas tank is still a big issue, it looked like he didn't use up too much energy in the first round or at least shouldn't have but at the end of the round he was breathing very heavily. 2nd round he had to work hard so when the 3rd started he was really struggling, couldn't get his shots off with Khabib standing right in front of him.

He should really have enough in the tank to be getting past rounds 2 or 3 without being gassed

I think we're at peak idiot McGregor fanbase now. When there are olé olérs flying 5000 miles píssed up slipping about on marble floors and spitting at people they deserve to be knocked out.

Dana needs to take a lot of the blame though. McGregor should've been banned after New York.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭pastorbarrett

Nurmagomedov by Decision
    No version of him Beats Khabib last night. None.
    Khabib fought perfectly and did exactly what everyone expected him to do game plan wise.

I think he took the third off to conserve energy for the championship rounds and felt comfortable doing so because he just didn't respect Conor's power, especially after dropping him.

He sought to close distance from the off. Seemed he threw distance management to the wind. He's never going to out-grapple him, but he could have had more conceivable success evading him a little longer and giving him a chance to connect on his terms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Khabib didn't go out there to tickle Dillon Danis.

What I mean is what was McGregor going to do that security weren't handling! If he hopped in it would have inflamed it ten times over!

McGregor should have distanced himself from that incident occurring outside the octagon. If that idiot wants to scream abuse at Khabib, he shouldn't need or expect a chap that has just been mauled into submission to protect him.

RoryMac wrote: »
    I think his gas tank is still a big issue, it looked like he didn't use up too much energy in the first round or at least shouldn't have but at the end of the round he was breathing very heavily. 2nd round he had to work hard so when the 3rd started he was really struggling, couldn't get his shots off with Khabib standing right in front of him.

He should really have enough in the tank to be getting past rounds 2 or 3 without being gassed

He seems to cycle a lot for cardio which is odd. Nothing beats running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

McGregor by Sub
    clsmooth wrote: »
    Spot on. Quite easy to write him off completely but he was up against a man ‘who has never lost a round’ before in the UFC. McGregor won the third on all 3 scorecards. Very little consolation of course, but enough to suggest if an on form McGregor comes out of the blocks like that when he had a bit more fizz in his shots, it could be a different story. Couple of big ifs, but if people are going to jump on the extremes to say his career is over, it’s only fair to focus on the extremes which say the opposite

In fairness as I just said earlier, Khabib recently made Al Iaquinta, who's a decent brawler, look like a total amateur bum - strikers are just terrified of his takedown/grappling and it totally throws them off.

McGregor was soundly beaten and out-classed, and despite some decent defense considering his opponent he was never, ever going to win a match with protracted ground/grappling...it played out like a perfect gameplan for Khabib.

But it wasn't an embarrassing defeat IMO. Khabib just did what Khabib has been doing all the time. What McGregor did to Alvarez, as an example, was probably worse....

Sure, McGregor lost this one, and lost in a one-sided manner to be fair...but that's the fighting game, not the first, second, third or hundreth time it's happened.

Some people are going way OTT and acting like his career is over. He's far from done, unless he choses to be done.

Also I don't get why people bother counting his Mayweather fight as a loss like it tells us something valid about his alleged waning talents. That was a freak-show money-making racket, McGregor was never, ever going to win that fight.

John Lineker would probably have a better chance against Derrick Lewis.

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    The Nal wrote: »

Cycling is great for general fitness but it's not going to be much good for this level of professional sports unless you're putting in serious hours on the bike and doing structured sessions with intervals included.

Running is a much more effective way to build up your ability to keep the lungs going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

McGregor by Sub
    He needs to get on that Novak Djokovic gluten free diet.

*cough*

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

What's odd about cycling? He has also been running for this camp.

I also agree with previous posters, I think his cardio was a bit improved. He had the best top wrestler in the game riding him for 4 minutes in the first round. And managed to last until the 4th.

He showed pretty good defence too, mitigated damage for the first round, took heavy shots in the second, but came back in the third. His gameplan just didn't look great, or he didn't execute it well. Was kind of like Diaz 1 with the sloppy approach.

• Advertisement

Lukker- wrote: »
    What's odd about cycling

Nothing. Just observing that it seems to be his primary source of cardio.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

There's f*ck all training footage this camp though, so it's hard to know what his source of cardio is. He's said himself he stopped running before, but had started again and has certainly been running this camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

McGregor by Sub
    JJayoo wrote: »
    Was it Javier Mendez that McG hit on the cage? It looks like him and he was carrying Khabibs hat.

Javier Mendez is the head coach for AKA.

If it is him then he certainly wasn't trying to hop the cage to start fighting, but at the same time can't blame McG too much for punching him as everything was going crazy.

And if it was him then I can also get why the two other guys went for McG.

Disclaimer: not sure it is him but it was funny him trying to hit McG back with the big wooly hat

Of course you can criticise McGregor for hitting him ffs. He wasn't even looking at McGregor, much less getting involved with him and he hit him a box. Pretty ****ing easy to criticise him actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Nurmagomedov by Decision
    I think it was Khabibs cousin who he hit on top of the octagon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

I think we're at peak idiot McGregor fanbase now. When there are olé olérs flying 5000 miles píssed up slipping about on marble floors and spitting at people they deserve to be knocked out.

Dana needs to take a lot of the blame though. McGregor should've been banned after New York.

How many olé olérs flew 5000 miles píssed up and slipped on marble floors and spat at people? How many?

Blame for what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Nothing odd about it. He has several serious knee injuries... - not hard to see why he would want to save his knees from pounding the roads

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

McGregor by Sub
    dave1982 wrote: »
    tenor.gif

Oh, you like gifs do you?

Well, here you go so and be sure to stick on your spectacles when watching it this time as all three of the guys you're about to see McGregor hit, swung at him first:

smallgifmcg.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Oh, you like gifs do you?

Well, here you go so and be sure to stick on your spectacles when watching it this time as all three of the guys you're about to see McGregor hit, swung at him first:

smallgifmcg.gif

This one is my favourite.

Mainly because it happens BEFORE your one

McGregor-punches.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Whether you like Khabib or Conor last night was as epic as it gets, I nearly took a heart attack with the tension. Amazing night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Commanchie

McGregor by Sub
    Guy in black is the chechen who conor put on insta accusing him of treadon for attacking artem.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement