Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 229 Nurmagomedov vs McGregor - Sat Oct 6th **Warning in first post!**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭pgj2015

makes sense really, you hit someone with a golf club in front of a cop, the cop asks the victim, "do you want to press charges?" no, "ah thats ok then carry on.":pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Perry12

McGregor by Sub
    Just watched the fight again. Man that was like a street fight, just two blokes who don’t like each other going toe-to-toe (from round 3 on). Conor gives him a tougher fight next time but same result I’d imagine.

Khabib is in the wrong for going after McGregors team, who can be sure that Danis says anything to him to provoke it?He appears to spit at McGregor and then goes straight over the cage. He’s one angry dude.

The bus incident was scummy. Last nights incident was just fcuking lunacy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Perry12 wrote: »
    Just watched the fight again. Man that was like a street fight, just two blokes who don’t like each other going toe-to-toe (from round 3 on). Conor gives him a tougher fight next time but same result I’d imagine.

Khabib is in the wrong for going after McGregors team, who can be sure that Danis says anything to him to provoke it?He appears to spit at McGregor and then goes straight over the cage. He’s one angry dude.

The bus incident was scummy. Last nights incident was just fcuking lunacy

Joe rogan and Co confirmed Danis was mouthing

• Registered Users Posts: 7,135 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    Does anyone else just feel a bit... sad after that? I know it's still so soon after the fight, but love him or hate him McGregor brought a level of excitement never seen before to the UFC. I know there's still great fights to be made in every division but none of it has yet to come close to the drama of a McGregor fight and its buildup. Maybe it's just because he got me into MMA and I feel like it's the end of him as a force to be reckoned with, but I can't say I'm as excited as I should be about the future of the UFC.

Hopefully he comes back stronger but I wouldn't count on it.

Yeah I know what you mean. I only got interested in MMA after staying up all night watching UFC 189 three years ago. The only reason I watched that was because I kept hearing about this Irish guy and wanted to see what all the fuss was about. In retrospect that was a pretty good card to have as my first watch as I was instantly hooked. I got FightPass and went back and watched all McGregor's fights from the start of his career. It was fairytale stuff.

Even at that stage McGregor was mostly still charming. In the ensuing years he has gotten more and more obnoxious. A particular low point was the tour that he did with Mayweather last year to promote the boxing match. All of his wit and charm vanished and he was left screaming mindless obscenities.

Cut to 2 weeks ago and the NY press conference:

"Smell of ****e off your Da"
    "Ya mad backwards ****"
    "Smelly Dagestani rat"

It was like listening to a 10 year old.

Watching last night I thought to myself "Well if he goes out there and smokes him then fair play to him. The ends justified the means".

So yeah it was sad to see what he's become. Hard to know where he goes from here in the MMA world.
    Don't get me wrong. He's fantastically wealthy and I'm sure he's going to be a feature of the Forbes list for years to come. I don't think that that's the kind of thing that got his fans excited as much as he did though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

McGregor by Sub
    Lads, Dana “it’s the most disgusting thing I’ve ever seen, but lets center our whole promo around it” White will be plastering this footage all over the place for the Khabib vs Conor 2 rematch in a few months time.

Anyone who falls for him being “disappointed” or “disgusted” by this would want to take a look at themselves. He hasn’t told the truth since about 1978.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Yeah I know what you mean. I only got interested in MMA after staying up all night watching UFC 189 three years ago. The only reason I watched that was because I kept hearing about this Irish guy and wanted to see what all the fuss was about. In retrospect that was a pretty good card to have as my first watch as I was instantly hooked. I got FightPass and went back and watched all McGregor's fights from the start of his career. It was fairytale stuff.

Even at that stage McGregor was mostly still charming. In the ensuing years he has gotten more and more obnoxious. A particular low point was the tour that he did with Mayweather last year to promote the boxing match. All of his wit and charm vanished and he was left screaming mindless obscenities.

"Ya mad backwards ****"
    "Smelly Dagestani rat"

Watching last night I thought to myself "Well if he goes out there and smokes him then fair play to him. The ends justified the means".

So yeah it was sad to see what he's become. Hard to know where he goes from here in the MMA world.
    Don't get me wrong. He's fantastically wealthy and I'm sure he's going to be a feature of the Forbes list for years to come. I don't think that that's the kind of thing that got his fans excited as much as he did though.

I think the turning point came after the Aldo fight, when he came out for that original presser with RDA this was a Conor on a completely new level.....he seemed to mellow a little again by the time of the 2ns Diaz fight

But came the whole Mayweather thing which blew up, that could possibly be the ruination of him as a UFC fighter............or he'll reinvent himself somewhat and return

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Paully D wrote: »
    Lads, Dana “it’s the most disgusting thing I’ve ever seen, but lets center our whole promo around it” White will be plastering this footage all over the place for the Khabib vs Conor 2 rematch in a few months time.

Anyone who falls for him being “disappointed” or “disgusted” by this would want to take a look at themselves. He hasn’t told the truth since about 1978.

Yeah it’s disgusting alright I’m so upset.

Stop ffs who cares.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

McGregor has set the bar high for being rewarded financially for creating controversy/mouthing off without being checked.

the problem is now you have all these training partners/wannabes/morons trying to follow the blueprint in order to get attention on themselves.

The UFC have caused this culture to exist. would serve them right if that powers that be in New York shut down anymore UFC fights from taking place there on the back of the antics in Vegas last night.

Conor is a very good fighter but will never be considered great until he can fight for more than 10 minutes.

I've never seen a fighter with such a poor tank. Ever.

Wasn't an issue at featherweight as he KOd everyone inside 2 rounds. But since moving up weights and getting into boxing, it's his biggest weakness and a major contribution to all his loses.

It also isn't improving. He either isn't doing anything to improve it or perhaps there is an underlying reason that it's so bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

"Ya mad backwards ****"
    "Smelly Dagestani rat"

Very sad end for him. I know he always engaged in smack talk. But the levels he stopped to in this match and the may weather fight were embarrassing.

I'd imagine he is going to see a big drop in sponsorship money after this. Not many companies will want to be associated with a man that behaves like him. Especially when he is losing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

What I mean is what was McGregor going to do that security weren't handling! If he hopped in it would have inflamed it ten times over!

McGregor should have distanced himself from that incident occurring outside the octagon. If that idiot wants to scream abuse at Khabib, he shouldn't need or expect a chap that has just been mauled into submission to protect him.

mcgregor did nothing out of ordinary. (by mcgregor standard)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    He really looked like he couldn't get out if 1st gear last night. I do believe we have seen versions of Conor that would have given us a spectacle last night, not saying he'd have won but we'd have had a much better fight.

McG pretty much wrestled with Khabib for the entire 1st round and managed to do what no other fighter, including guys who have trained wrestling since they were kids, could do and defensively hold off Khabib and take very limited damage.

His cardio was also the best I have ever seen from McG. Compare Conor in the third round with Conor in the third round Vs Diaz, then factor in the pressure of Khabib and the wrestling.

McG fought his best but Khabib was just better and stuck to his game plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

The fight game is a garbage can of a business behind the scenes. Just ask Peter Taylor.

Both men are involved with gangsters within their social and businesses circles. You could not get to that level and not be. Even the supposedly clean-cut GSP has his links. Dana White is up to his eyes with the mafia. Boxing and UFC, promotions, the fight game are littered with mafia and money laundering. What happened last night was tame.

This could escalate outside of the cage. A sample:

"As reports of Mirzaev’s hospitalization began to surface, rumors regarding the reasons behind his attack began to spread. The attack was seemingly an act of revenge after Mirzaev got into a fight at a nightclub in Moscow a couple of week prior. Some suggested that Mirzaev came to the aid of UFC fighter Artem Lobov, who had allegedly been confronted by other Dagestani fighters in the Moscow club. BloodyElbow reached out to Lobov, who confirmed meeting Mirzaev during his trip to Moscow but denied any involvement in a night club incident.

“Not true,” said Lobov. “I did meet [Mirzaev] in Russia, we got on really well he is a very nice guy. I am so shocked that this happened to him but nothing to do with me”

This is far from Mirzaev’s first nightclub incident. Back in 2011, the MMA fighter got into a fight outside the Garage nightclub and struck 19-year-old student Ivan Agafonov with a single blow that killed him. Mirzaev was convicted for manslaughter after the court officially recognized that Agafonov died several days later in the hospital due to concussion caused by the base of his neck hitting the pavement immediately following the blow. He was released in 2012 after serving 15 months in detention."

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2017/1/1/14138614/renowned-russian-mma-fighter-hospitalized-after-being-shot-three-times

JJayoo wrote: »
    McG pretty much wrestled with Khabib for the entire 1st round and managed to do what no other fighter, including guys who have trained wrestling since they were kids, could do and defensively hold off Khabib and take very limited damage.

His cardio was also the best I have ever seen from McG. Compare Conor in the third round with Conor in the third round Vs Diaz, then factor in the pressure of Khabib and the wrestling.

McG fought his best but Khabib was just better and stuck to his game plan.

I'd agree with that to an extent. McGregor's movement was terrible though. His striking nowhere near as crisp and fluid. No flow. He looked very very rusty. It happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Conor is a very good fighter but will never be considered great until he can fight for more than 10 minutes.

I've never seen a fighter with such a poor tank. Ever.

Wasn't an issue at featherweight as he KOd everyone inside 2 rounds. But since moving up weights and getting into boxing, it's his biggest weakness and a major contribution to all his loses.

It also isn't improving. He either isn't doing anything to improve it or perhaps there is an underlying reason that it's so bad?

i'd say if you want to compete at that level you'd have to give it 100%.

also, i'm not a religious man but Khabib strikes me as a chap that has completely surrendered to a higher power therefore would be immune to earthly things like smack talk from a heathen. I observed him praying as he walked to the octagon, and he looked scarily calm and focussed.With hindsight we can see the occasion was too much for a comeback fight the press conferences were a disaster for Conor also, he won't be taken seriously next time.
    Somebody here compared it to Tyson Fury going straight for wilder rather than taking the two safer bouts first.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,855 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

McGregor by Sub
    The Nal wrote: »

Dana needs to take a lot of the blame though. McGregor should've been banned after New York.

It was hard to top new york in fairness and you are right, shouldn't have been in there at all

so now we have a top three of khabib, tony and conor....talk about poor role models all three of them.
    ferguson is crazy altogether and just plain unlikeable.

poirier is on the rise and when he beats nate you just never know...a rematch might make a lot of sense IF he wants it.
    darced wrote: »
    Whether you like Khabib or Conor last night was as epic as it gets, I nearly took a heart attack with the tension. Amazing night.

I nearly had a heart attack watching ferguson pettis myself
    possibly fight of the year and it's sadly been overshadowed :(

love the way ferguson brings it every time...between himself and khabib they are both nightmares for anyone to fight.

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    I'd agree with that to an extent. McGregor's movement was terrible though. His striking nowhere near as crisp and fluid. No flow. He looked very very rusty. It happens.

But from what point? Because once Khabib got a hold of him in the first round he was sapping that energy, so was McG in round two off or had he just had a bear on top of him.

Just look at Michael johnson, round one he was doing great throwing a lot early on. Round two and his gas tank is gone, his shots have zero power.

Compare McG to Michael Johnson, who is a good wrestler, and McG should get huge credit for his wrestling. Any future oponent needs to get the 'McG can't wrese crap out of their head' because he is good and if you get him down he will pop back up. Maybe Kevin Lee could still build a game plan solutions on taking him down.

BUT now I am thinking they will create the 165 division with McG fighting for the title and probably taking on Diaz. Some divisions will have to be altered, can't have 165 and 170.

i'd say if you want to compete at that level you'd have to give it 100%.

also, i'm not a religious man but Khabib strikes me as a chap that has completely surrendered to a higher power therefore would be immune to earthly things like smack talk from a heathen. I observed him praying as he walked to the octagon, and he looked scarily calm and focussed.With hindsight we can see the occasion was too much for a comeback fight the press conferences were a disaster for Conor also, he won't be taken seriously next time.
    Somebody here compared it to Tyson Fury going straight for wilder rather than taking the two safer bouts first.

That was probably me that brought up Fury earlier. Conor was insanely stupid taking this fight after 2 years off. He clearly wasn't as sharp as he needed to be.

But his tank really is so poor. He loses any power he has in his punches after 10 minutes when he gasses. I just don't understand it.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Nurmagomedov by Decision
    Is the mcgregor hype train over lads. He's been found out imo. The blueprint is there to beat him. Out cardio him or wrestle him. Only for chad mendes making a mistake this result would have happened three years ago.

Connor is surrounded by too many yes men. John roddy etc, they have no control over him and the reality is he has outgrown sbg. He's easily the best in the gym so batters everyone regularly and gets plaudits. However his competition there is comical figures like John redmond. Khabib is training with stone cold killers dc cain rock hold etc, iron sharpens iron. It's commendable mctapper staying with sbg but he's done so well in spite of them rather than because of them. Javier mendes is streets ahead of John kavanagh. Sbg are a two bit Mom and pop organisation. Remember last year when kavanagh guarantaeeed mctapper would knock out the best boxer of his generation in four rounds, this is the level of delusion surrounding connor.

Someone should have told him two months ago his striking and Tdd were miles off the pace. That doctor Darby is another schmuck with a degree out of a dump college in the Caribbean, literally the laughing stock of medical degrees across the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

McGregor by Sub
    Do they release corner audio anymore?

Wouldn't mind watching it again with the audio from McGregor's corner.

• Advertisement

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    https://youtu.be/S9-67cVE9n4

Video breaks down the afters in regards as to who hit who.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

McGregor by Sub
    Can't see him getting a rematch to be honest. He got well dominated. Khabib knows that refusing a rematch would piss him off more than anything. I don't think he deserves one anyway. I hope that this puts an end to the lunacy of him going to 170 lb. He'd actually get murdered. I don't have any interest in Diaz 3 after the loss either. I'd like to see him take back the 145 belt and come back up and fight a top contender before trying to go for the 155 belt again. Having said that Im not sure he'll be back.

Is the mcgregor hype train over lads. He's been found out imo. The blueprint is there to beat him. Out cardio him or wrestle him. Only for chad mendes making a mistake this result would have happened three years ago.

Connor is surrounded by too many yes men. John roddy etc, they have no control over him and the reality is he has outgrown sbg. He's easily the best in the gym so batters everyone regularly and gets plaudits. However his competition there is comical figures like John redmond. Khabib is training with stone cold killers dc cain rock hold etc, iron sharpens iron. It's commendable mctapper staying with sbg but he's done so well in spite of them rather than because of them. Javier mendes is streets ahead of John kavanagh. Sbg are a two bit Mom and pop organisation. Remember last year when kavanagh guarantaeeed mctapper would knock out the best boxer of his generation in four rounds, this is the level of delusion surrounding connor.

Someone should have told him two months ago his striking and Tdd were miles off the pace. That doctor Darby is another schmuck with a degree out of a dump college in the Caribbean, literally the laughing stock of medical degrees across the world.

Don't think he has been found out. His weaknesses are there for all to see. Just most people can't avoid those left hands and get sparked.

Lots of valid points in your post though. Somebody should have told him not to fight Khabib after 2 years off.

Conor reminds me of Rocky 3 sometimes. Were he got too cocky and arrogant and Mr T smashed him. Then he realized he had to work hard to win.

Diaz 1 and Khabib, I don't think Conor was properly prepared for either fight.

Can't see him getting a rematch to be honest. He got well dominated. Khabib knows that refusing a rematch would piss him off more than anything. I don't think he deserves one anyway. I hope that this puts an end to the lunacy of him going to 170 lb. He'd actually get murdered. I don't have any interest in Diaz 3 after the loss either. I'd like to see him take back the 145 belt and come back up and fight a top contender before trying to go for the 155 belt again. Having said that Im not sure he'll be back.

Conor is the money - that means he is the A side. Belts don't matter. Money does. Khabib won't decide anything. Hasn't got the pull.

Conor won't make 145 weight anymore.

Diaz 3 will make bank. Rematch with Khabib will make bank. Those fights will happen. And there is nothing Khabib or Tony can do about it.

The last time what's his name, oh yeah, the 170 pd champ fought - 130,000 people paid to watch. He is lucky he has a job. Greater fighter. Nobody wants to see him fight. He'll never get to fight mcgregor with those numbers. doesn't make sense.
    I get from your post , you think this is a sport. It's a business.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭thebull85

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    JJayoo wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/S9-67cVE9n4

Video breaks down the afters in regards as to who hit who.

Conors attempt to climb over the cage look a little half asssed, like he changed his mind just as he was about to make it over.

thebull85 wrote: »
    Conors attempt to climb over the cage look a little half asssed, like he changed his mind just as he was about to make it over.

Held by security by the leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

McGregor PPV value will go drop now.

I can't see him getting huge PPV numbers probably only a rematch with Khabib.
    Now this is just a prediction I am no expert on UFC so could be wrong.

But the reason Mayweather done so well was because he was undefeated & people wanted to see could anyone beat him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

McGregor by Sub
    Khabib dropping him will be the one that stings him most over coming weeks when hes back at home sniffing infront of the fire with the gucci flip flops on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

McGregor by Sub
    Conor is the money - that means he is the A side. Belts don't matter. Money does. Khabib won't decide anything. Hasn't got the pull.

Conor won't make 145 weight anymore.

Diaz 3 will make bank. Rematch with Khabib will make bank. Those fights will happen. And there is nothing Khabib or Tony can do about it.

The last time what's his name, oh yeah, the 170 pd champ fought - 130,000 people paid to watch. He is lucky he has a job. Greater fighter. Nobody wants to see him fight. He'll never get to fight mcgregor with those numbers. doesn't make sense.
    I get from your post , you think this is a sport. It's a business.

Conors stock falls allot now. Khabib might have enough money after this fight to stick his two fingers up at the UFC also.

I also get that Woodley is boring as fcuk. I wouldn't stay up to watch him no way. But it's what Conor was eluding to pre this fight. That would be insanity. I just don't think that Conor has that hunger anymore, now that he doesn't need to fight to put bread on the table.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

McGregor by Sub
    MD1990 wrote: »
    McGregor PPV value will go drop now.

I can't see him getting huge PPV numbers probably only a rematch with Khabib.
    Now this is just a prediction I am no expert on UFC so could be wrong.

But the reason Mayweather done so well was because he was undefeated & people wanted to see could anyone beat him.

He wasn't undefeated

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement