Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 229 Nurmagomedov vs McGregor - Sat Oct 6th **Warning in first post!**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Conor is the money - that means he is the A side. Belts don't matter. Money does. Khabib won't decide anything. Hasn't got the pull.

Conor won't make 145 weight anymore.

Diaz 3 will make bank. Rematch with Khabib will make bank. Those fights will happen. And there is nothing Khabib or Tony can do about it.

The last time what's his name, oh yeah, the 170 pd champ fought - 130,000 people paid to watch. He is lucky he has a job. Greater fighter. Nobody wants to see him fight. He'll never get to fight mcgregor with those numbers. doesn't make sense.
    I get from your post , you think this is a sport. It's a business.

Actually Khabib can not sign a contract

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

He wasn't undefeated

i know he wasn't undeated but he has lost 2 of his last 4 fights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

At the end of the day McGregor lost a fight and still won the war. And, made more money than anyone (including the owners who will be throwing their profits back into the debt it took to buy the UFC.)

Dana White has played it beautifully for a rematch. Probably can't believe his lucky stars. Has a perfect opportunity now to strip a champ who is not a big draw and give him a ban.

Bring in McgREGOR to fight Al Iquinta or someone such **** (**** Tony over) and then hope the rust of the ban means his cash cow (McGregor) beats him in the rematch.

I think even Dana White believes this is a sport sometimes. Then he catches his own eye in the bathroom mirror and laughs himself silly!

McGREGOR HAS LOST PLENTY OF TIMES - doesn't harm his draw. People watch him because they find him entertaining. His has more social media followers than any other fighter including Floyd. This won't affect him one bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Do they release corner audio anymore?

Wouldn't mind watching it again with the audio from McGregor's corner.

I did hear Kavanagh advise to get that left going :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

McGregor by Sub
    thebull85 wrote: »
    Conors attempt to climb over the cage look a little half asssed, like he changed his mind just as he was about to make it over.

Security had him by the right leg, he was balancing on the cage using his left.

When Abubakar ran over and jumped up on the cage beside him, I think he leaned on McGregor's leg and so he thought he was climbing up there to attack him.

Whatever anyone's view on McGregor throwing that punch, one thing's for sure, there's no way he made enough contact on him to do the damage that we see on his face in that footage he posted. The skin's broken. Hope some video or pics show up of him leaving the arena as I'd say there wasn't a mark on him when he left it.

Abubakar.png

Here's a better angle:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BopaXuFBI2x/

• Advertisement

The vast majority of mcgregor's popularity is with a fan base that couldn't give a **** about UFC or MMA. And they buy - hence why the UFC pay him way more than anyone. It's a general public - oh-is-this-what-people-do-now audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

At the end of the day McGregor lost a fight and still won the war. And, made more money than anyone (including the owners who will be throwing their profits back into the debt it took to buy the UFC.)

Dana White has played it beautifully for a rematch. Probably can't believe his lucky stars. Has a perfect opportunity now to strip a champ who is not a big draw and give him a ban.

Bring in McgREGOR to fight Al Iquinta or someone such **** (**** Tony over) and then hope the rust of the ban means his cash cow (McGregor) beats him in the rematch.

I think even Dana White believes this is a sport sometimes. Then he catches his own eye in the bathroom mirror and laughs himself silly!

McGREGOR HAS LOST PLENTY OF TIMES - doesn't harm his draw. People watch him because they find him entertaining. His has more social media followers than any other fighter including Floyd. This won't affect him one bit.
    So much silly stuff. But mcgreggor has not lost plenty of times. Only 3 times when people paid ppv money to watch. And yes it does harm your draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

It will. He had a legitimate excuse why he lost the first time v Diaz, got people to believe that and rectified it the second time round. His thrash talk still had credibility, so people still listened. I dunno if it does now, but if he lost to Khabib a second time, that credibility is gone. Can't really give it the big one anymore, when there's another guy who continually mauls him, can he? People will just go "pfft, old news" and tune out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

glasso wrote: »
    scratches head.

Were you one of those ole ole fanboys that got knocked out last night because I can't fathom any reason as to think anyone could suggest McGregor didn't throw the first punch here!

Seriously!

speaking of which the muppet who got laid out got that as swift retribution for spitting into the faces of the other group. looks like the weight cut was just too much for this guy to handle :)

https://youtu.be/rZhduV6cRZ8?t=108

another lot to be be proud of. although very representative of the fanbase.

What saddens me the most are the people standing round recording the melee on their phones it’s very black mirror esque.

So much silly stuff. But mcgreggor has not lost plenty of times. Only 3 times when people paid ppv money to watch. And yes it does harm your draw.

Nah, it won't.

How many losses does Diaz have? Brock Lesnar? Got absolutely whopped. Twice in a row. (how many failed drugs tests?) Still one of the biggest draws in the sport. So much so that UFC make and bend rules for him.

Does it affect their draw? No.

It only affects their draw if people are genuinely interested in the sport. Which they are not. They just want the antics and the entertainment.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭thebull85

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    there's no way he made enough contact on him to do the damage that we see on his face in that footage he posted. The skin's broken.

I thought exactly the same when i first seen it.

It was a pure McGregor show. Everyone is talking about it. Headlines all around the world. Whoever McGregor fights next, he will make more money than ever. Fact.

McGregor got paid. Khabib didn't. That's Vegas. that's entertainment. Money pays money. All else is discarded to the bin.

Khabib has given Vegas and their money interests the perfect chance to keep the money going by getting Khabib out of the picture. And they will be ruthless.

Nah, it won't.

How many losses does Diaz have? Brock Lesnar?
    Got absolutely whopped. Twice in a row. (how many failed drugs tests?) Still one of the biggest draws in the sport. So much so that UFC make and bend rules for him.

Does it affect their draw? No.

It only affects their draw if people are genuinely interested in the sport. Which they are not. They just want the antics and the entertainment.

They don't really set themselves up for the same fall though, do they? Lesnar was a big name anyway

It will. He had a legitimate excuse why he lost the first time v Diaz, got people to believe that and rectified it the second time round. His thrash talk still had credibility, so people still listened. I dunno if it does now, but if he lost to Khabib a second time, that credibility is gone. Can't really give it the big one anymore, when there's another guy who continually mauls him, can he? People will just go "pfft, old news" and tune out

They will of course. They will just market him as the only man who can really push Khabib. They will push the rivalry and the dolly and all that behind the scenes bull****. If their is money to be milked it will be milked.

How can you lose credibility never mind all credibility when you get beat by the best 155 in the business? If McGregor lost to a nobody he'd lose all credibility. If you get beat by the best you lose a fight or a belt - you don't lose any credibility. He won two belts previously. McGregor has as much and more clout than anyone who has fought in MMA. He'll be giving it the big one alright. One man has beaten him recently - big deal.

They don't really set themselves up for the same fall though, do they? Lesnar was a big name anyway

And, they also were never as big and never will be as McGregor. You're nitpicking without the bigger picture.

They will of course. They will just market him as the only man who can really push Khabib. They will push the rivalry and the dolly and all that behind the scenes bull****. If their is money to be milked it will be milked.

How can you lose credibility never mind all credibility when you get beat by the best 155 in the business? If McGregor lost to a nobody he'd lose all credibility. If you get beat by the best you lose a fight or a belt - you don't lose any credibility. He won two belts previously. McGregor has as much and more clout than anyone who has fought in MMA. He'll be giving it the big one alright. One man has beaten him recently - big deal.

My point is that if he lost to Khabib again. The whole persona up until now is that he's the king, the best... period! What if he loses to Khabib a second time? Personally I don't think people will have the same interest if that comes to pass

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Its the world we live in. We are told we should admire the guy because "money pays money", or whatever the f*ck a previous poster meant.

This nut-hugging that goes on and we are told its jealousy because we should really be admiring him for the money and fame he has acquired. It really depends what you are into.

Personally, I would be more intrigued by the true legends in their respective sports. Khabib made one great comment in his press conference, he said he was interested in legacy, and that he was the Floyd Mayweather of MMA. I find this to be true in fairness. Mayweather was a PPV king (his fights were not in the slightest bit exciting for the casual fan, but the boxing fans respected the artistry) and he also was a student of the game, despite his "money man" rep, he eat, drank and slept boxing (trained every day, doesn't drink, take drugs, eats well etc..)

People hyping McGregor as an amazing fighter, he then gets well beaten and people are told to respect the man for the money he made? People seem to be fascinated by the lifestyle more than the skillset.

Lots of parallels with Mike Tyson, although Tyson did possess some raw talent and didn't have to try so hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Calltocall

An insane decision whoever put him in front of khabib,not a hope he was ever winning that, khabib is made of oak,nothing johnson threw at him rocked him,his coaches should have had him better conditioned before taking him on by fighting other fighters but even then I dont think the outcome would have been different.

I liked mcgregor in the beginning, charisma and actually came across quite smart and he could also fight he lit up the ufc and put it on the map but he sunk into this loudmouth gourier who threw out insults fitting of a 16 year old, his press conference with khabib etc was just embarrasing, and the whole mayweather thing was farcical, I also think from day one hes been overated, a good striker but carefully selected fights against a lot of smaller guys and then diaz, if diaz had another round with him he was gone and diaz was nothing special lets be honest.

Where he goes from here I dont know but if he fought khabib twenty times he would lose everyone he’s just not as good as him and never will be. But its also a problem of where ufc goes from here, khabib is a terrible champion, no charisma, bad in front of camera, boring fights spent on the deck for 90% of match hes more suited to wrestling in the olympics, if mcgregor walks the interest will drop massively and as good as khabib is he just doesnt have charisma to sell fights, mcgregors made his money he should walk he’s not near the best fighter anymore, no matter what bs he spins next he simply will never beat someone like khabib

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

McGregor by Sub

Danis just can't stop being a bellend. RDA would murder him. In a street fight, quite possibly literally.

• Advertisement

My point is that if he lost to Khabib again. The whole persona up until now is that he's the king, the best... period! What if he loses to Khabib a second time? Personally I don't think people will have the same interest if that comes to pass

But, sure, people just love the gimmick. Everybody just loves to be entertained. Nobody believes it, apart from children. People love people who are different and put themselves out there. It's entertaining...

I reckon he will be a sporting celebrity for the rest of his days. Especially as a colour commentator in America.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,302 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I think the bigger point here, at least for me anyway, is that there were two melees. One caused by Khabib outside, one caused by McGregor inside it. The scrap inside is a clear result of McGregor throwing the box on top of the cage. He doesn't do that, Khabib's lads don't go after him.

The two melees (as you put it) are hardly unrelated. They were both caused by Khabib kicking off. What do you think guy in black (Nurmagomedov) was doing up climbing over the cage towards Conor's corner (when Conor hit him?

But, sure, people just love the gimmick. Everybody just loves to be entertained. Nobody believes it, apart from children. People love people who are different and put themselves out there. It's entertaining...

I reckon he will be a sporting celebrity for the rest of his days. Especially as a colour commentator in America.

Of course there will always be a certain element that will support it, I just think he'll lose alot of his mass appeal and credibility when he can no longer back up what he says, until now he has with one small blip that he rectified

Blanco100 wrote: »
    Its the world we live in. We are told we should admire the guy because "money pays money", or whatever the f*ck a previous poster meant.

This nut-hugging that goes on and we are told its jealousy because we should really be admiring him for the money and fame he has acquired. It really depends what you are into.

Personally, I would be more intrigued by the true legends in their respective sports. Khabib made one great comment in his press conference, he said he was interested in legacy, and that he was the Floyd Mayweather of MMA. I find this to be true in fairness. Mayweather was a PPV king (his fights were not in the slightest bit exciting for the casual fan, but the boxing fans respected the artistry) and he also was a student of the game, despite his "money man" rep, he eat, drank and slept boxing (trained every day, doesn't drink, take drugs, eats well etc..)

People hyping McGregor as an amazing fighter, he then gets well beaten and people are told to respect the man for the money he made? People seem to be fascinated by the lifestyle more than the skillset.

Lots of parallels with Mike Tyson, although Tyson did possess some raw talent and didn't have to try so hard.

HAHAHAHA whoever said anything about admiring! That's for children in my book.

Mayweather is as crooked as an S hook - anybody with an inkling of boxing knows that...

If you're looking for a hero - I suggest you look to people who do charity or peace work.

What poster said respect him for the money he makes?

I'd respect McGregor for winning two belts. Beating legends like Eddie Alvarez, Holloway, and Jose Aldo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

c'mere to me ya wee bollix ya.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

McGregor by Sub
    Mellor wrote: »
    I think the bigger point here, at least for me anyway, is that there were two melees. One caused by Khabib outside, one caused by McGregor inside it. The scrap inside is a clear result of McGregor throwing the box on top of the cage. He doesn't do that, Khabib's lads don't go after him.

The two melees (as you put it) are hardly unrelated. They were both caused by Khabib kicking off. What do you think guy in black (Nurmagomedov) was doing up climbing over the cage towards Conor's corner (when Conor hit him?

I have no idea. He could have been looking to smack danis. He could have been looking to pull Khabib away. Whatever it was is irrelevant, because he did absolutely nothing to McGregor to entitle McGregor to hit him.

The fact McGregor didn't know what his motives are is no excuse. He saw a member of the rival camp up there and decided to hit him - that's what prompted the scraps in which he was subsequently involved.

It's tough to get out of bed to do roadwork at 5 am when you've been sleeping in silk pajamas -

Marvin Hagler

That's McGregor's struggle.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,302 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

But his tank really is so poor. He loses any power he has in his punches after 10 minutes when he gasses. I just don't understand it.
    If you honestly want to understand it, go down to a local MMA or BJJ club. Roll 2 5 minute rounds with even a semi-competent guy. And you'll understand exactly how tiring it is.
    Someone should have told him two months ago his striking and Tdd were miles off the pace.

His TDD was pretty good in the first round. Khabib is arguably the best grappler in the UFC. Once he has a hold of you, getting taken down isn't proof of having no TDD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭xtal191

McGregor by Sub
    Security had him by the right leg, he was balancing on the cage using his left.

When Abubakar ran over and jumped up on the cage beside him, I think he leaned on McGregor's leg and so he thought he was climbing up there to attack him.

Whatever anyone's view on McGregor throwing that punch, one thing's for sure, there's no way he made enough contact on him to do the damage that we see on his face in that footage he posted. The skin's broken. Hope some video or pics show up of him leaving the arena as I'd say there wasn't a mark on him when he left it.

If you watch from 4.20 below you can see Conor throwing a left at him in the cage, very possible he got the cut/bruise from that

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement