Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 229 Nurmagomedov vs McGregor - Sat Oct 6th **Warning in first post!**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,734 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

glasso wrote: »
    you reap what you sow.

Yup. Well offside bringing religion and his family into it.

Truly humbled.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Does anybody know what the punishment is going to be for Khabib? If he's suspended / banned for a year doesn't that mean they'll have to strip the belt?

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    Does anybody know what the punishment is going to be for Khabib? If he's suspended / banned for a year doesn't that mean they'll have to strip the belt?

whatever Dana Shyte-talker and the rest of the UFC think will be financially most advantageous for the UFC will be the result. the organisation has less credibility than the FAI.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭snotboogie

I'd like to see Conor take a step back and fight somebody like Gaethje in the Point early next year. No way Conor deserves another shot at Khabib, Tony deserves his shot at the title, Lee is a terrible match up, he already beat Poirier and Alvarez, Barboza is coming off two loses, there isn't enough gloss for a Nate trilogy (especially if Diaz loses to Dustin) or any of the other "superfights" like GSP, Silva or Mayweather and I don't think that Conor has it in him to make 145. let Conor bang with Justin in front of his home fans and we'll see if he actually still has it in him.

whatever Dana Shyte-talker and the rest of the UFC think will be financially most advantageous for the UFC will be the result. the organisation has less credibility than the FAI.

Ah here..

• Advertisement

If Khabib is suspended / banned for a year doesn't that mean they'll have to strip the belt? They can't make the whole division wait around as well.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

snotboogie wrote: »
    I'd like to see Conor take a step back and fight somebody like Gaethje in the Point early next year. No way Conor deserves another shot at Khabib, Tony deserves his shot at the title, Lee is a terrible match up, he already beat Poirier and Alvarez, Barboza is coming off two loses, there isn't enough gloss for a Nate trilogy (especially if Diaz loses to Dustin) or any of the other "superfights" like GSP, Silva or Mayweather and I don't think that Conor has it in him to make 145. let Conor bang with Justin in front of his home fans and we'll see if he actually still has it in him.

Unless McGregor is able to fight at a time that suits the US for PPV sales he won't be fighting in Ireland. Even if this loss hurts his drawing power massively he'll still be a huge PPV draw for the UFC and both they and him won't be giving up that money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Funny seeing khabib and his manager sucking up to the athletic commission cause they suspended his pay. They complain about the bus incident but do they realise that cost conor alot of money and lawsuits, now they want to get away with starting a brawl without any consequences. You cant launch yourself into the crowd and expect nothing to happen.

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    Unless McGregor is able to fight at a time that suits the US for PPV sales he won't be fighting in Ireland. Even if this loss hurts his drawing power massively he'll still be a huge PPV draw for the UFC and both they and him won't be giving up that money.

it has been stated by Kavanagh that there would never be a fight in Ireland because McGregor wouldn't want to pay the high tax to Ireland that would be resultant.

https://www.balls.ie/newsnow/john-kavanagh-outlines-exactly-conor-mcgregor-will-never-fight-croke-park-ufc-371801

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

it has been stated by Kavanagh that there would never be a fight in Ireland because McGregor wouldn't want to pay the high tax that would be resultant.

He already pays high tax here as he lives here for more than half the year

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Nurmagomedov by Decision
    Would love a GSP vs Khabib superfight for next summer but reckon its Khabib vs Fergison next finally.

Would not be surprised if Mcgregor was to get a fight in Dublin next. Maybe Diaz part 3.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

it has been stated by Kavanagh that there would never be a fight in Ireland because McGregor wouldn't want to pay the high tax to Ireland that would be resultant.

https://www.balls.ie/newsnow/john-kavanagh-outlines-exactly-conor-mcgregor-will-never-fight-croke-park-ufc-371801

I've read that before but he's an Irish resident and I assume whatever tax structure his companies use will still be affected by Irish tax law because of that.

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    He already pays high tax here as he lives here for more than half the year

that doesn't tally with what Kavanagh said. we don't know his tax arrangements or how much tax he pays.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,431 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I've read that before but he's an Irish resident and I assume whatever tax structure his companies use will still be affected by Irish tax law because of that.

I doubt it.

I'm sure that he can set up a company in the US and have it be paid for the fight. Or better still, have it set up in the Caymans or something. Maybe have that company own the trademark or rights to McGregor's name and have UFC pay McGregor a Euro for the fight and pay the company X million for the use of his name.

Of course, he'd be taxed on whatever he brought back in the short term, but there are ways around that as well. If you owned half a company in Australia for example, the Irish government wouldn't be entitled to any of it's revenue.

Think of it as a "reverse Apple"

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    I doubt it.

I'm sure that he can set up a company in the US and have it be paid for the fight. Or better still, have it set up in the Caymans or something. Maybe have that company own the trademark or rights to McGregor's name and have UFC pay McGregor a Euro for the fight and pay the company X million for the use of his name.

Of course, he'd be taxed on whatever he brought back in the short term, but there are ways around that as well. If you owned half a company in Australia for example, the Irish government wouldn't be entitled to any of it's revenue.

Think of it as a "reverse Apple"

indeed. I'm pretty sure that his tax arrangements are "optimised".

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

If Khabib is suspended / banned for a year doesn't that mean they'll have to strip the belt? They can't make the whole division wait around as well.

Yeah, not like a division was ever held up before........

If he is suspended for a year there will be an interim title fight between Ferguson and someone, the winner will face Khabib when he returns.

Now, Dana being Dana and rules being made up as they go absolutely any outcome is possible.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

McGregor by Sub
    Before any of the fight build up. I really fancied Khabib to beat Mcgregor comprehensively but the closer it got to the fight the more I fell for Mcgregors over confidence and his previous ability to shake up his opponents with his stand up. I actually thought Mcgregor was going to do it.

Within the first round, it became apparent what way the fight was going to go. Previously I had heard of Khabibs ability to sap the energy from his opponents through his grappling/ground game and this was very apparent here. Mcgregor look drained from the first round onwards and even in the third when he was connecting with his shots, it looked like there was no real power behind them.

Much respect to Khabib for a thoroughly professional performance. As for Mcgregor, his insults, over confidence and lack of decency have shown him up completely but I guess he is laughing all the way to the bank. No doubt his partying over the last two years have caught up with him but I still dont think he would like to go out like this.

I would like to see Ferguson fight Khabib now, I think Tony deserves it and I couldnt see him tapping. As for Mcgregor, I dont really see anyway back for him. Too much money in the bank now for him to have that hunger he would need to really challenge Khabib. If he somehow does, I'd like to see him fight the winner of Poirier/Diaz and then if successful there, fight the winner of Khabib/Ferguson but I just dont see it happening. I think he would be wise to give up now.

I feel too much is being made of the post fight scuffles, the majority of that was done in the heat of the moment and I don't believe Dana Whites BS for a second, he is no doubt very happy that the fight and sport in general has attraced even more attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,353 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

RonanP77 wrote: »
    I watched the fight live and watched it back again last night. Even Connors walkout had me nervous, he tried to act like everything was the same but he didn't have that fire in his eyes or the same air if confidence about him.

The fight itself, his footwork and head movement were gone, his punches didn't have the same pop about them. He looked like a poor imitation of his old self. He was totally dominated and the best he can hope for now is a match against Tony to see who gets the next shot at the title. I don't think even that is deserved but Tony might jump at it for the big payday.

Realistically, I think it's money fights against the likes of Silva that Connor should aim for now, see out his contract and retire with a very healthy bank balance.

Just have to compare the start of this fight versus the one against Aldo. He was straining to get across the cage then, bouncing on the balls of his week.

Saturday night, he looked flat footed from the off. For all the talk about him being a master at controlling distance, he stood at exactly the range to give Khabib an easy shot.

If he comes back, he needs to fight his way back. Poirier, Lee, Barboza, RDa. Iron sharpens Iron, he's been coddled too long at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,855 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

McGregor by Sub
    It has to be khabib ferguson now at long last

I hope for conor's sake he never decides to fight tony, that for me is going from one nightmare to a bigger one

Tony will take care of khabib, am confident of that.

mailburner wrote: »
    It has to be khabib ferguson now at long last

I hope for conor's sake he never decides to fight tony, that for me is going from one nightmare to a bigger one

Tony will take care of khabib, am confident of that.

I don't think tony is strong enough to defend the takedowns or get back up, he's a bit skinny. I think khabib will ragdoll him easily. It'll be like round 1 in the kevin lee fight but he won't have a comeback in round 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,734 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Who were the 2 people who voted for Conor to win by submission?

tenor.gif

The Nal wrote: »

tenor.gif

He had a chance to take khabibs back in round 1 when he defended the first takedown, would've loved to see him do something like that but of course could've backfired.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭xtal191

McGregor by Sub
    The Nal wrote: »

tenor.gif

Click the numbers to see who voted for what

• Registered Users Posts: 18,051 ✭✭✭✭rob316

They cant have more paper champions though either. Its been a mess since McGregor won it. Its farcical that you had 3 fighters going around with LW belts last week. The natural fight to make if Khabib is suspended for a year is Ferguson vs MCgregor, winner fights khabib.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Spideog Rua

As an outsider looking in, I'm surprised there isn't a queue out the door to fight McG. He is the biggest show in town whether champion or not. Khabib should be grateful for such a huge payday, and McG doing all the promotion work.

Khabibs payouts before McG
    UFC205 57k
    UFC219 160k
    UFC223 530k

He'll be back down to 500k in his next fight

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

As an outsider looking in, I'm surprised there isn't a queue out the door to fight McG. He is the biggest show in town whether champion or not. Khabib should be grateful for such a huge payday, and McG doing all the promotion work.

UFC205 57k
    UFC219 160k
    UFC223 530k

There is , nobody is going to say no to fighting McGregor...it's a question of who McGregor and the UFC want him to fight...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

McGregor by Sub
    rob316 wrote: »
    They cant have more paper champions though either. Its been a mess since McGregor won it. Its farcical that you had 3 fighters going around with LW belts last week. The natural fight to make if Khabib is suspended for a year is Ferguson vs MCgregor, winner fights khabib.

This is what I see happening. To be honest though, if it does happen I for one really hope they don't do another interim title - maybe it's just because I'm into the drama surrounding the fights, but I just think it would be a better story (and obviously better for the UFC's integrity, that goes without saying) if Conor had to do a non-title fight next to re-establish himself before going for the title once again.

I mean come on, isn't that a better story - if nothing else - than just repeatedly going for title shots, win or lose? I honestly think it would be better for Conor psychologically as well. In the short term he'd be super pissed off. In the longer term, having to fight his way back to the top would, in my opinion, be likely to really focus his mind and energy into wanting to get there. A lot has been made of the possibility that he isn't "hungry" anymore given his many accomplishments and all the cash in the bank - if they make him fight his way back to where he used to be, knowing his personality that'll piss him off but also make him really, really want it. And in that scenario, IMO, there'll be more focus on fighting and less focus on antics and gimmicks.

Just my opinion. I'm not a fighter myself so I'm just assuming that the mentality which accompanies many other things and sports in life also accompanies fighting - a comeback story is better both for the fans and for one's own determination / thirst for victory than a "meh, he's already the champion, let him go for the title again, sure whatever like".

Again, I'm saying all this as a McGregor fan, not a naysayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Naive to think that any elite level sport is 'clean' tbh. Football is rife with drug use at the top level despite the testing. There's no way in hell Khabib isn't doped up to his eyeballs, any Russian athlete showing any sort of promise will be in the program from an early age.

Not saying it's just the Russians either, the Spanish are worse..

Footballers have the advantage that even if they are not selected to play, they still get their weekly salary according to their contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,051 ✭✭✭✭rob316

UFC205 57k
    UFC219 160k
    UFC223 530k

Woodley never shuts up about wanting to fight him sure. He's a huge payday unless of course your Eddie Alvarez and fight on the terms of your last fight :eek:

• Advertisement

rob316 wrote: »
    The natural fight to make if Khabib is suspended for a year is Ferguson vs MCgregor, winner fights khabib.

If that is how its going to go then it really is the end for McGregor. Ferguson has zero fear of Mcg. Zilch.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement