Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 229 Nurmagomedov vs McGregor - Sat Oct 6th **Warning in first post!**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭twinytwo

McGregor by Sub
    Just have to compare the start of this fight versus the one against Aldo. He was straining to get across the cage then, bouncing on the balls of his week.

Saturday night, he looked flat footed from the off. For all the talk about him being a master at controlling distance, he stood at exactly the range to give Khabib an easy shot.

If he comes back, he needs to fight his way back. Poirier, Lee, Barboza, RDa. Iron sharpens Iron, he's been coddled too long at this stage.

Khabib first fight back was always going to be a mistake. He needed 2/3 others first.

But as others have said, the hunger isnt there anymore.

As they say.. your reason why has to be greater than theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,132 ✭✭✭✭rob316

If that is how its going to go then it really is the end for McGregor. Ferguson has zero fear of Mcg. Zilch.

If McGregor is serious about taking back that LW belt and beating the contenders to it thats the way, otherwise just go fight Nate or GSP and call it a day. I think he needs to beat Ferguson to really drive the hype for a Khabib rematch to insane levels.

This isn't like Diaz where he troubled Diaz early on and you'd say if his cardio was better he'd win, he literally had nothing to show against Khabib. Khabib out boxed and wrestled him. McGregor can improve standing up but he'll still be murdered on the ground, so good this guys game is.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,875 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

McGregor by Sub
    spix wrote: »
    I don't think tony is strong enough to defend the takedowns or get back up, he's a bit skinny. I think khabib will ragdoll him easily. It'll be like round 1 in the kevin lee fight but he won't have a comeback in round 2.

If anyone can tony can and his ground game is pretty good
    khabib will have to go all out for five to beat tony as I don't believe he
    can finish him at all and I don't believe any fighter can keep tonys pace
    for five myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

glasso wrote: »
    whatever Dana Shyte-talker and the rest of the UFC think will be financially most advantageous for the UFC will be the result. the organisation has less credibility than the FAI.

Let's not go crazy here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

rob316 wrote: »
    This isn't like Diaz where he troubled Diaz early on and you'd say if his cardio was better he'd win, he literally had nothing to show against Khabib. Khabib out boxed and wrestled him. McGregor can improve standing up but he'll still be murdered on the ground, so good this guys game is.

Thats the thing. Khabib is always always going to bring the fight to the ground where he is just better than everyone. This is why I cant see Ferguson beating him either. Not unless he stuns him very quickly in the first round. Any sign of danger khabib will take it to the ground and utterly drain his opponent.

• Advertisement

Thats the thing. Khabib is always always going to bring the fight to the ground where he is just better than everyone. This is why I cant see Ferguson beating him either. Not unless he stuns him very quickly in the first round. Any sign of danger khabib will take it to the ground and utterly drain his opponent.

Ya, no one was surprised that Khabib was able to do that on the ground to Conor, he's just far too dominant. It's the sloppyness and rigidness of Mcgregors striking that shocked us all, he's so much better than that and so much better than Khabib at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

It's hard to strike when you can barely lift your arms in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 21,050 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

spix wrote: »
    Funny seeing khabib and his manager sucking up to the athletic commission cause they suspended his pay. They complain about the bus incident but do they realise that cost conor alot of money and lawsuits, now they want to get away with starting a brawl without any consequences. You cant launch yourself into the crowd and expect nothing to happen.

Conor got off Scott free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

McGregor by Sub
    Conor got off Scott free

He did get charged and go through the courts though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    UFC have just posted a pic of Khabib with his belt and an eagle emoji. They aren’t stripping anything off him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭mada999

Perry12 wrote: »
    Really thought that if he played it like the Alvarez fight and stayed calm and measured the distance he would’ve done it. I can’t figure out why after weeks in camp working on a game plan he goes out and ignores what JK is telling him between rounds.

Either his ego, or else Khabib actually got into his head. I think it’s the latter in this fight

totally agree with that, he blatantly ignored the advice... either his ego or he was afraid or he didnt respect Khabib's skills...

thb he didnt throw enough jabs for me...which gave Khabib lots of time to go for the take down...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

McGregor by Sub
    UFC have just posted a pic of Khabib with his belt and an eagle emoji. They aren’t stripping anything off him.

Everyone's saying they'll have to strip him if he gets a lengthy suspension, but won't that allow him to call hypocrisy after they allowed Conor to hold the belt for a year and a half? I suspect if he does get suspended they'll go down the interim route once again.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭princemuzzy

id like to see kevin lee get a go at khabib after tony

mada999 wrote: »
    totally agree with that, he blatantly ignored the advice... either his ego or he was afraid or he didnt respect Khabib's skills...

thb he didnt throw enough jabs for me...which gave Khabib lots of time to go for the take down...

between one of the rounds JK tells him not to chase him and thats exactly what he did closed the distance for khabib to get the easy take down he was looking for the out in the 4th in my opinion and i really am a huge fan

where ? dont see in on twitter or insta

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

They can not strip him, even if hes suspended for a year, that division needs a legitimate champion. Unless the NSAC can strip him, UFC won't, plus it weakens the draw for a rematch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭twinytwo

McGregor by Sub
    mada999 wrote: »

Connor is a lot of things - afraid isnt one of them. He would get into a ring with anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

rob316 wrote: »
    Ya, no one was surprised that Khabib was able to do that on the ground to Conor, he's just far too dominant. It's the sloppyness and rigidness of Mcgregors striking that shocked us all, he's so much better than that and so much better than Khabib at it.

He may be the better striker in a kickboxing match, but when he rightly was weary of the takedown, it levels the playing field in the striking greatly.

Normally McGregor sets traps as he has people reacting to his feints and moving into range for his punches. He was the one reacting to Khabibs feints and leaving himself open to big punches when he anticipated the takedown coming.

Its a mad sport. If he had landed a big shot early I could still envisage the fight going the way of an Alvarez fight. Khabib was too smart to allow McGregor have a sniff in the first round, but it was that safety first approach that gave him the openings in the striking exchanges in the second round and onwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

McGregor by Sub
    https://youtu.be/u5nU45sueFc

Did he realise he was fecked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    where ? dont see in on twitter or insta

Was on their Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,513 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

mailburner wrote:
    It has to be khabib ferguson now at long last

It doesn't have to be Khabib anybody. There is a district possibility he doesn't ever fight in the US again, or for the UFC for that matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    eagle eye wrote: »
    It doesn't have to be Khabib anybody. There is a district possibility he doesn't ever fight in the US again, or for the UFC for that matter.

Nah, no charges pressed, he'll get a slap on the wrist fine from NSAC and a 6 month ban. His visa isn't in danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,012 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

There'll be no action from UFC.

NSAC will fine/suspend him.

No charges, so his Visa is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Nurmagomedov by Decision
    Guys. Tony is a nobody to the joe public. Khabib is now public enemy number one, a bigger bad ass than Diaz. Joe bloggs wants to see mctapper silence the bad guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

Dana giddy saying it past 2M ppv's. There will be a rematch. Personally I dont see the point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwb9au-uo6o

Edit: Dana didnt say rematch thats just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

You can hear McGregor say 'it's only business' at the start of this video.

Did he psyche himself out trying to get in Khabibs head? What the hell is he doing talking about that during a fight?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I've watched every clip I can find of the swing Conor took at yer man on the top of the cage, and in every one all I can see is a miss, far too low and meets no resistance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    macnug wrote: »
    Dana giddy saying it past 2M ppv's. There will be a rematch. Personally I dont see the point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwb9au-uo6o

Edit: Dana didnt say rematch thats just me.
    sounds like dana waiting to see how long khabibs suspension is and the book rematch

Did he say Conor cant fight in NYC?

Ariel just said NSAC is starting investigation on conor now too

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement