Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 229 Nurmagomedov vs McGregor - Sat Oct 6th **Warning in first post!**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

McGregor by Sub
    Carroller wrote: »
    Shortly after McGregor gets blindsided by the lad in the red t shirt, the lad with the wig that McGregor originally attempted to punch on top of the cage races at McGregor after being held back and McGregor throws a left. Maybe he connected then

Yeah, someone else was saying that could have been happened alright.

I know UFC won't release better footage but amazing there's not even even been some better fan footage uploaded by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,301 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I'm surprised at the amount of people assuming Conor hasn't training for this fight, he had lost his touch, never had it.
    Why is that more likely that Khabib just being better.

Rd 1 he defended well. Khabib failed to properly complete the takedown initially. And didn't really progress against the cage. and lost the minimal energy and points.
    The overhand in round 2 changed the fight imo.
    Conor was defending immediately after that, and Khabib's subsequently takedown was much cleaner. He passed guard easier and landed heavy shots. All initiated by the overhand. Round 2 was exhausting for Conor in survival mode.
    He won the 3rd, and by the 4th he was looking slow and flat footed. I think people are underestimating how much of that was exhaustion.

I'd like to watch round 3 and 4 vrs Khabib, side by side with round 4 and 5 verses Diaz II. Looking at flat-footedness, movement, footwork or lack of.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Mellor wrote: »
    I'm surprised at the amount of people assuming Conor hasn't training for this fight, he had lost his touch, never had it.
    Why is that more likely that Khabib just being better.

Rd 1 he defended well. Khabib failed to properly complete the takedown initially. And didn't really progress against the cage. and lost the minimal energy and points.
    The overhand in round 2 changed the fight imo.
    Conor was defending immediately after that, and Khabib's subsequently takedown was much cleaner. He passed guard easier and landed heavy shots. All initiated by the overhand. Round 2 was exhausting for Conor in survival mode.
    He won the 3rd, and by the 4th he was looking slow and flat footed. I think people are underestimating how much of that was exhaustion.

I'd like to watch round 3 and 4 vrs Khabib, side by side with round 4 and 5 verses Diaz II. Looking at flat-footedness, movement, footwork or lack of.

I think round 1 took a lot of gas out of him, he will always lose to Khabib if he gets taken down that early.

He should not have tried to out think Khabib in that single leg battle, he needs to be less technical and more explosive in that situation. Saying that I was impressed by his balance and awareness for the while he defended but you can't hang around there with Khabib or you are going down, he also had a great opportunity to end up on top but passed it up to keep defending the leg.

darced wrote: »
    I think round 1 took a lot of gas out of him, he will always lose to Khabib if he gets taken down that early.

He should not have tried to out think Khabib in that single leg battle, he needs to be less technical and more explosive in that situation. Saying that I was impressed by his balance and awareness for the while he defended but you can't hang around there with Khabib or you are going down, he also had a great opportunity to end up on top but passed it up to keep defending the leg.

When I say expended the minimum energy, I mean the minimum possible given he spent 4 mins on the ground.
    He balance was very good when Khabib had the single lifted. But when He got the leg to the floor, the hip grip held up Khabib, but Conor wasn't going to pull off a cradle and turn him over or anything. Should have had a bit more urgency to get out of there a la Iaquinta.

Still think the knock-down and 30 seconds afterwards where swung it hugely in Khabib favour. Need to rewatch the second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Nurmagomedov by Decision
    I saw a clip this morning that Dannis shouted at Khabib after the fight "you ****ing muslim rat".

Fair play to Khabib i dont blame him for doing what he did after that. Dannis is a pussy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

McGregor by Sub
    ricero wrote: »
    I saw a clip this morning that Dannis shouted at Khabib after the fight "you ****ing muslim rat".

Fair play to Khabib i dont blame him for doing what he did after that. Dannis is a pussy.

Can you post it? John said on the JRE he couldn't hear Danis say anything but that he seen him make a gesture to khabib, but he could just be spoofing.

ricero wrote: »
    I seen that also, but it was on TMZ so I take it as bona fide yet. Wouldn't bet against it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

The so called knockdown in round 2 has been removed from UFC stats as a knockdown, this isn't boxing, mcgregor stayed on his feet.

spix wrote: »
    The so called knockdown in round 2 has been removed from UFC stats as a knockdown, this isn't boxing, mcgregor stayed on his feet.

Kinda irrelevant either way tbh

Mellor wrote: »
    Kinda irrelevant either way tbh

True but I've seen alot of people brag that khabib is the first person to knock him down, it definitely wasn't a true knockdown however. Knocked off balance as he took a backstep and recovered instantly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Nurmagomedov by Decision
    J Mysterio wrote: »
    Ive listened to it a few times, seems very clear to me. 'Its only business'.

"It's only business" = "It was a prank bro". Talked all the talk and didn't back it up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

McGregor by Sub
    The "it's only business" was said right after Conor was fouling when he was hooking Khabibs glove with his fingers and Khabib was protesting to Herb. Conor could well be referring to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Perry12

McGregor by Sub
    I think the “It’s only business” comment was said because Khabib was talking to him during the fight probably referring to things McGregor had said previously.

McGregor probably thought this dude is looking to actually permanently damage me, I’ll try and calm him down a bit.

It was in no way an apology

Perry12 wrote: »
    I think the “It’s only business” comment was said because Khabib was talking to him during the fight probably referring to things McGregor had said previously.

McGregor probably thought this dude is looking to actually permanently damage me, I’ll try and calm him down a bit.

He did not say its only business, the audio is not clear enough to know what was said, and you realise this was the round mcgregor won and khabib failed all takedowns?

I certainly hear "it's only business". To me it seems like he knows it's his last opportunity to speak to Khabib. It implies he's ready to check out of the fight, he knows 4 will be his last round.

McGregor by Sub
    spix wrote: »

He did not say its only business, the audio is not clear enough to know what was said, and you realise this was the round mcgregor won and khabib failed all takedowns?

I’ve just listened to it with headphones on (quiet day at work). I’m probably wrong but it sounds like he says “throwing kisses” probably in reference to Khabibs punching. They did stand and trade in that round

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

McGregor by Sub
    I certainly hear "it's only business". To me it seems like he knows it's his last opportunity to speak to Khabib. It implies he's ready to check out of the fight, he knows 4 will be his last round.

Some ****e get posted on this thread but this takes the biscuit

I’ve just listened to it with headphones on (quiet day at work). I’m probably wrong but it sounds like he says “throwing kisses” probably in reference to Khabibs punching. They did stand and trade in that round

Another one I've heard which is much more likely is 'fine clinches' There is certainly only 2 words, first one sounds like it begins with F.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Nurmagomedov by Sub

Ah here, get on to your GP and get them to refer you to an audiologist, you're hearing is fooked if that's what you hear.

Ah here, get on to your GP and get them to refer you to an audiologist, you're hearing is fooked if that's what you hear.

Imo probability of throwing kissies is around the same as its only business, approx 0%. Fine clinches the only one which sounds remotely close.

• Advertisement

McGregor by Sub

Have a listen for yourself. The first word I’m 90% sure is “throwing”. If you wanted to get someone to stand and trade with you as opposed to taking you down then the best way to do that is to tell them they punch like a pussy

Have a listen for yourself. The first word I’m 90% sure is “throwing”. If you wanted to get someone to stand and trade with you as opposed to taking you down then the best way to do that is to tell them they punch like a pussy

It sounds to me like the 1st word only has 1 syllable, 2nd has 2

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    The only strike of significance Conor threw was the illegal knee on the ground.
    Khabib chose to stand and trade in the third because he had absolutely no respect for Conor's power.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭xtal191

McGregor by Sub
    The "it's only business" was said right after Conor was fouling when he was hooking Khabibs glove with his fingers and Khabib was protesting to Herb. Conor could well be referring to that.

I'd be leaning towards this if thats what he really said, no chance he was giving up or apologising, load of ****e to be honest.
    ASOT wrote: »
    Can you post it? John said on the JRE he couldn't hear Danis say anything but that he seen him make a gesture to khabib, but he could just be spoofing.

We'll prob never know what Danis was saying to Khabib but there's no chance John is gonna be telling people, especially on Rogan with 1000's of people listening if he called him a "Muslim rat" or whatever it is he said. Maybe he didn't hear but I'd be more on the side that he's not gonna snitch on his team and is keeping it to himself.

Khabib chose to stand and trade in the third because he had absolutely no respect for Conor's power.

Intentional or unintentional ignorance? Mcgregors standup was definitely not at its best but he landed a good few punches esp in round 3, this counter left in particular made khabib shoot (and fail) immediately afterwards. If he was finding the standup so easy why did he take him down in round 4? I heard an interview today that the plan was to knock mcgregor out of the feet after beating him up on the ground, however he ended up going for a submission, the easy way to beat mcgregor.

Btw the only reason conor threw that knee was because khabib shouted 'hey, dana'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    Just had a listen through my brand new €500 Bang and Olufsen headphones and he definitely says "flowing pisses".

McGregor by Sub

My point is that Conor wanted him to stand and box and was goading him to do it.

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    The only reason he threw the knee is because he was getting mauled.
    Same reason as he threw the 12-6 elbows, grabbed inside the gloves and held the shorts.

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    Billy Mays wrote: »
    Just had a listen through my brand new €500 Bang and Olufsen headphones and he definitely says "flowing pisses".

I thought it was mowing thistles myself. Having a chat about how he's having problem with weeds in his lawn. They're a bastard to keep under control.

• Advertisement

The only reason he threw the knee is because he was getting mauled.
    Same reason as he threw the 12-6 elbows, grabbed inside the gloves and held the shorts.

Khabib grabbed mcgregors gloves and shorts too several times. Might want to check both sides next time instead of just trying to talk crap about mcgregor.

He obviously threw the knee as a FU to khabib for saying 'hey, dana' He done it right after khabib said that. Pretty clear if you ask me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement