Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 229 Nurmagomedov vs McGregor - Sat Oct 6th **Warning in first post!**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

eagle eye wrote: »
    It kinda does look planned though.

It looks like his corner men excited he got the win and waiting at the edge of the cage for him to celebrate. Then when Khabib goes over the cage on the other side they follow him.

If it was planned they would have got into the cage straight away when there were less officials in there.

What's to gain from a premeditated attack, on a downed fighter, who's already just been beaten in a fight? It's not Club Anabel.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

McGregor by Sub
    By the way, I'm not condemning the Khabib team for doing what they did as if a fighter had done to McGregor what McGregor done to Khabib throughout the build up, I understand McGregor, Roddy, Queally etc wanting to get a few slaps at whatever team it was.

Although that guy (the last one to scale the cage) that sucker punched McGregor was way ott.

Are you reading what I am saying?
    I didn't say they scaled the cage as soon as the fight ends, I said they were trying to.

So you're saying they are trying, but aren't able to scale the cage? That it takes them 20 seconds to figure it out?

Edit: This argument stems from some guy posting here that Khabib's team fully admitted, after the fight, that they planned to storm the cage and attack Conor.
    That's what I'm calling number one bullsh1t to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

That was a lovely left Conor landed in fairness!

By the way, I'm not condemning the Khabib team for doing what they did as if a fighter had done to McGregor what McGregor done to Khabib throughout the build up, I understand McGregor, Roddy, Queally etc wanting to get a few slaps at whatever team it was.

I couldn't see Roddy behaving like that to be honest. He seems as professional as they come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    Effects wrote: »
    It looks like his corner men excited he got the win and waiting at the edge of the cage for him to celebrate. Then when Khabib goes over the cage on the other side they follow him.

If it was planned they would have got into the cage straight away when there were less officials in there.

What's to gain from a premeditated attack, on a downed fighter, who's already just been beaten in a fight? It's not Club Anabel.

Agreed, it just looks like they were at the side of the cage to congratulate Khabib up until he decides to attack Danis, then they come around & into the cage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Draw
    Am I doing it right :rolleyes:?
    The 2016 Mcgregor version would have beaten Khabib.
    Mcgregor had too much ring rust that's why he lost.
    Needs a few warm up fights against Ferguson and Diaz then he'll beat Khabib.
    Mcgregor won round 3.
    Mcgregor was injured that's why he lost.

Khabib's dumb reaction after the fight has taken the gloss of a great fight performance from him that comfortably beat the ex champ.

McGregor by Sub
    Effects wrote: »
    So you're saying they are trying, but aren't able to scale the cage? That it takes them 20 seconds to figure it out?

Ah here man, are you serious? I'm having to spoon feed you my posts here :P

As soon as the fight was over Khabib's team try to scale the cage and were stopped by security.

So no, it's doesn't take them 20 seconds "to figure it out" they just weren't being let.

Go back and watch the two clips I just posted and you'll see security hanging off them as they're trying to get over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Gamb!t wrote: »
    Mcgregor won round 3.

Khabib's dumb reaction after the fight has taken the gloss of a great fight performance from him that comfortably beat the ex champ.

You don’t think Conor looked rusty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    Hopefully now he stops carrying around two belts for titles he doesn't hold.

• Advertisement

Yeah
    Maybe
    Mcgregor won round 3.
    It would be madness to go straight into a rematch with such a high chance of getting beaten again. Better to have another win in between. But don't go for Diaz, that's too risky as well. Although Diaz has a higher level of ring rust at this stage. Lets see how he gets on in his next fight first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Mcgregor won round 3.

Don't think there are any time travelers among us?

My take on it, is this:

McGregor didn't look right - his striking was very poor. Seemed too concentrated on counteracting Khabib and his wrestling rather than doing what got him to the dance. McGregor failed to implement his will on Khabib. Khabib implemented his game plan and won every round except round 3. The only problem with Khabib's finish was he didn't seem too happy with it. Really wanted to break that jaw/neck.

MCGregor lost because he was outfought. He under performed. I don't believe ring rust affects striking that much. But that's just belief. Khabib was the winner and it wasn't a close fight. Khabib was a clear winner by some distance. I thought it was a good fight though.

Khabib took the shine off his own win - and has handed the UFC an opportunity to keep their prize possession firmly in the limelight.

They're both great fighters. Wouldn't want to share a pint with either of them though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Draw
    You don’t think Conor looked rusty?
    No I dont.
    I think he couldnt bring his usual game which he disposes opponents with ease as he was worried about the take down threat.

Hopefully now he stops carrying around two belts for titles he doesn't hold.

Was just about to say this..he'll probably still be parading the 145 belt around..or maybe he got some sense knocked into him the other day..

he'll probably still be parading the 145 belt around..

Nah, I think he's smart enough to know he can't do that again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Dana says Khabib "will absolutely not be stripped of the title". He says this because....

https://twitter.com/jedigoodman/status/1049746374294560768

cliggg wrote: »
    Dana says Khabib "will absolutely not be stripped of the title". He says this because....

https://twitter.com/jedigoodman/status/1049746374294560768

Wow - serious coin.

From 130,000 viewers for Woodley v Till to over 2 mill... jesus... UFC buyers are breathing again.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭505_

McGregor seemed a bit off for me even from his entrance. I think Joe Rogan was commenting that it looked like he came in cold, no sweat and not doing much of his usual movements. He did well to make it through the first two rounds though. He was just up against a better man. Padded record or not Khabib is undefeated in 11 UFC fights. Hopefully, if there is a rematch we'll get a better showing from McGregor. Hard to see him reversing the result all the same. Khabib took a big uppercut pretty well and stood and traded with him in the third. 
    One thing I hope we can see a more humble build up from him if there is a rematch. Khabib I thought was quite well restrained in the build up, obviously that was tough work and he cracked after the fight. While McGregor was harping on about Khabib being a pull out merchant, backward c**t, smell of your da etc - Khabib was relatively calm and most things he said came to fruition. He was going to go in, dominate him, talk to him and mess him up. 
    What were peoples thoughts on Kavanaghs game plan? Bring him to deep waters and try take him out then. Everyone expected McGregor to go for it early and while he did well in the third he didn't really have Khabib too worried and Khabib was still tagging him too. Maybe there would have been more to McGregors punches earlier in the fight had he gone for it then. Obviously, they were worried about the takedown.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

McGregor by Sub
    as soon as he walked in i thought he looked off, lacking energy, maybe even lacking desire. he talked in the build up about getting fed up with fighting before and claimed he was over that now but i wonder.

interesting listening to kavanagh on rogan last night but their game plan seemed really dumb, accept the takedowns and don't fight to get up and try and tire him out. so basically give up the first few rounds and hope for a lucky punch later on? come on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭EoineyM

A lot of mcgregor fans taking a lot from the fact that Khabib did not inflict much damage in the first when he got mcgregor down. Yes this is true. However, Khabib did not seem to be going all out get off damaging shots. He seemed content to stay heavy on McGregor and sap his energy. Id say it was part of the strategy. Obviously he would have GNP if it was there. But Im sure he was also very aware that in the early rounds was when McGregor would most likely be able to explode back to his feet if he lost positon. A number of people mentioned prior to the fight about how Khabib feels like a heavyweight on top of you and how its like having a wet blanket over you. Id say it was part of the strategy to use this to drain McGregor. Worked too.

Aldo just called out McGregor - as much as I don't want to see that fight. Aldo is no longer the machine he once was...

But I wouldn't begrudge Aldo the opportunity to pull in a big pay day. He deserves it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Good breakdown of the end of the fight from these lads. Also mentioning how they felt if Herb Dean hadn't been on hand to break the choke at the end that Khabib didn't look like he was going to let go of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

No I dont.
    I think he couldnt bring his usual game which he disposes opponents with ease as he was worried about the take down threat.

He was 100% not his usual self, I could tell in the first few seconds of the 1st round from his movement and first punch he threw. He fought more like it was a cba spar in the gym rather than his usual calculated self.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

McGregor by Sub
    froog wrote: »
    as soon as he walked in i thought he looked off, lacking energy, maybe even lacking desire. he talked in the build up about getting fed up with fighting before and claimed he was over that now but i wonder.

interesting listening to kavanagh on rogan last night but their game plan seemed really dumb, accept the takedowns and don't fight to get up and try and tire him out. so basically give up the first few rounds and hope for a lucky punch later on? come on.

Trying and fighting to get up would tire him out. It worked well for the first round. In your expert opinion, what should the game plan have been?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    Tbf no matter who you are khabib will put you on your back only option really is hope you can connect before he tries taking you down and if you get taken down just ride out the storm....or chance a flying knee:D

McGregor by Sub
    spix wrote: »
    He was 100% not his usual self, I could tell in the first few seconds of the 1st round from his movement and first punch he threw. He fought more like it was a cba spar in the gym rather than his usual calculated self.

True and even his TD defense was different. When Khabib shot for that low single in the first McGregor tried to knee him in the face rather than what he usually does, grab the opponent's head and throw his legs back. Same in the second round.

In the 3rd however McGregor went back to his old TD defense and he stuffed most of Khabib's takedown attempts as a result. That's not a coincidence. When he hit Khabib with that uppercut I thought that's it, he'd finish him but in fairness to Khabib, he can take much more than many would have thought.

Also, to everyone focusing on what JK said, I wouldn't pay too much attention to all that as he will have one eye on a potential rematch and won't want to be speaking about everything he thinks went wrong or was focused on too much or not enough.

Also, to everyone focusing on what JK said, I wouldn't pay too much attention to all that as he will have one eye on a potential rematch and won't want to be speaking about everything he thinks went wrong or was focused on too much or not enough.

Good point

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

McGregor by Sub
    Jack Slack did a good writeup on the technical bits of how Khabib implemented his gameplan without getting hit. It does mention McGregor trying to land the knee on him coming in https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/mbdxkb/how-khabib-nurmagomedov-smashed-conor-mcgregor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

I see there's alot of talk of something happening to mcgregor before the fight the other night.

Apparently Jon Anik has said on his podcast he heard something happened.

Be it mcgregor felt unwell before the fight, there's even other rumours that he had an injured rib or even more fanciful, someone pulled a gun.

I suppose anything is possible, but I think you can rule the gun pulling one out for a start.

I personally think the long lay off was tougher than he thought.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement