Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 229 Nurmagomedov vs McGregor - Sat Oct 6th **Warning in first post!**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Jack Slack did a good writeup on the technical bits of how Khabib implemented his gameplan without getting hit. It does mention McGregor trying to land the knee on him coming in https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/mbdxkb/how-khabib-nurmagomedov-smashed-conor-mcgregor

That's a good piece.

As much as I love Tony - I don't think he beats either McGregor or Khabib. I think Khabib railroads Tony with power.

If I was McGregor I'd retire. Nothing left to do - too much money as it is. Stay in those silk PJs. It's a mug's game when you don't need to do it. He'll keep fighting because he needs the adulation. But he is not as smart as Mayweather when it comes to picking fights to keep the money train rolling. Should have got Paulie into an MMA ring!!!!

I see there's alot of talk of something happening to mcgregor before the fight the other night.

Apparently Jon Anik has said on his podcast he heard something happened.

Be it mcgregor felt unwell before the fight, there's even other rumours that he had an injured rib or even more fanciful, someone pulled a gun.

I suppose anything is possible, but I think you can rule the gun pulling one out for a start.

I personally think the long lay off was tougher than he thought.

Russian wrestlers love a gun pull...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4XXUsYI1UQ

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

I see there's alot of talk of something happening to mcgregor before the fight the other night.

Apparently Jon Anik has said on his podcast he heard something happened.

Be it mcgregor felt unwell before the fight, there's even other rumours that he had an injured rib or even more fanciful, someone pulled a gun.

I suppose anything is possible, but I think you can rule the gun pulling one out for a start.

I personally think the long lay off was tougher than he thought.

Yeah, the gossip in me is seriously mad to find out more about this. It'll eventually come out I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,446 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

How do you guys think mcgregor would have fared if he faced khabib two years ago? I mean if he faced last weekends khabib two years ago?

How do you guys think mcgregor would have fared if he faced khabib two years ago? I mean if he faced last weekends khabib two years ago?

It'll never happen - no point in teasing it out.

Bisping had a bad rib jury against GSP. That's the way the cookie crumbles. Can't pass up a paycheck like that - have to take it when it comes.

Although Khabib does forgo money when injured. He does put his record before earnings. Hence why he still lives with his parents! That will change now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Maybe a bit more competitive, but still a loss

• Registered Users Posts: 39,300 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

McGregor didn't look right - his striking was very poor. Seemed too concentrated on counteracting Khabib and his wrestling rather than doing what got him to the dance. McGregor failed to implement his will on Khabib.
    But they’re a very obvious reason why he had to focus on counter grappling. People are acting as if McGregor should have ignored that and just pretended Khabib wasn’t an elite wrestler. I can’t understand it.

McGregor was unable to fight freely because of Khabib. That’s not a bad game plan, it a bad match up stylistically with the best LW in the world.

EoineyM wrote: »
    However, Khabib did not seem to be going all out get off damaging shots. He seemed content to stay heavy on McGregor and sap his energy. Id say it was part of the strategy.
    I’d say that’s completely incorrect tbh. If Khabib gets to a control position were he can inflict
    As much as I love Tony - I don't think he beats either McGregor or Khabib. I think Khabib railroads Tony with power.
    Tony concedes the ground too easily. Khabib kills him.
    If I was McGregor I'd retire. Nothing left to do - too much money as it is.
    That’s probably highlights the difference between the mentality of a regular Joe soap like you or I, and I elite world champion in a physically tough sport.

Khabib the other night mauls UFC205 McGregor even easier. McGregor’s grappling is better now than it was before. Silly comparisons.
    McGregor UFC205 vrs Khabbi UFC205. Who knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,446 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Mellor wrote: »

Khabib the other night mauls UFC205 McGregor even easier. McGregor’s grappling is better now than it was before. Silly comparisons.

I only asked a question man, get off your high horse.

Mellor wrote: »

That’s probably highlights the difference between the mentality of a regular Joe soap like you or I, and I elite world champion in a physically tough sport.

"Get in. Get rich. Get out." - Conor McGregor

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Well he already got rich and didn't get out, I guess people can change, shocker.

• Advertisement

spix wrote: »
    Well he already got rich and didn't get out, I guess people can change, shocker.

"Get in. Get rich. Get out." - The Mack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭BoneIdol

Effects wrote: »
    Because he's a world champion jiu jitsu black belt.

Is that good enough to bring John Kavanaghs brand in to extremely murky water? If Kavanagh thinks it is he should answer for it. Danis, if what is allegedly being reported as being said is true, is a racist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    BoneIdol wrote: »
    Is that good enough to bring John Kavanaghs brand in to extremely murky water? If Kavanagh thinks it is he should answer for it. Danis, if what is allegedly being reported as being said is a racist.

This, and Dillon was worlds champion at brown belt, there's plenty of people between 65 and 80kg with more impressive CV's.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Russian wrestlers love a gun pull...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4XXUsYI1UQ

the bleedin size of em

Ah FFS, breaking news that Diaz/Poirier at 230 is off...

https://twitter.com/bokamotoESPN/status/1049834626007490560

Breaking: Dustin Poirier has suffered an undisclosed injury, per multiple sources. He is off UFC 230 co-main event against Nate Diaz in New York.

Hmm, if Derrick Lewis is cleared to fight at 230 so soon after 229, I wonder if Conor would...nah, not even gonna get my hopes up :pac:

Elsewhere, Luke Rockhold reckons that (according to Khabib) it's going to take the biggest payday in UFC history to get Khabib into that rematch with Conor...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BounjC8h3st/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1kbxzxgkguwy6

So, it's going to happen. Note how Rockhold is not saying that his teammate is against a rematch, just that he has his price.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Danis, if what is allegedly being reported as being said is true, is a racist.
    What did he say that was racist? Islamophobic perhaps.

And it's just alleged anyway.

What did he say that was racist? Islamophobic perhaps.

And it's just alleged anyway.

There's no difference between islamophobia, paddyphobia or whatever phobia you're having yourself. In "that" context it's racist.

In "that" context it's racist.

What context?

What context?

In the context that you're a backwards **** that's starving for understanding like your hungry ancestors were starving for a spud. How are you here? Your great great grandparents must have supped on the English soup.

Do you get me? That's racism

Do you get me? That's racism

I still don't get it. You can't label any and all disagreements as racism.
    I think you must be some kind of SJW Snowflake Hipster.
    We're just not on the same level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,300 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

There's no difference between islamophobia, paddyphobia or whatever phobia you're having yourself. In "that" context it's racist.
    I think he is saying that Islam isn't a race, so it's not racism. "Irish" isn't a race either.
    But it's a bit pedantic, as everyone knows exactly what is intended by "racism".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Nurmagomedov by Sub

“I’d rather die than tap” - Conor McGregor

Conor lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭EoineyM

I think this immediate rematch stuff is nonsense. Its should be about two fighters training to meet on a specific night, not knowing exactly what the other will do and relying on skill and fight intelligence to overcome what is thrown at them. Rerunning the fight again shortly afterwards you basically have the exact two fighters going at it again. At this elite level of fighting id say there would be a lot of reversal of results if the two fighters went at it again shortly afterwards. By having other fights in between at least both fighters have a chance to evolve further and to bring something new to the next fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭snotboogie

EoineyM wrote: »
    I think this immediate rematch stuff is nonsense. Its should be about two fighters training to meet on a specific night, not knowing exactly what the other will do and relying on skill and fight intelligence to overcome what is thrown at them. Rerunning the fight again shortly afterwards you basically have the exact two fighters going at it again. At this elite level of fighting id say there would be a lot of reversal of results if the two fighters went at it again shortly afterwards. By having other fights in between at least both fighters have a chance to evolve further and to bring something new to the next fight.

It has to be Ferguson; is he now on the longest win streak in UFC history without an actual title shot? 11 consecutive wins and he is probably going to be sat for 10 months while we wait for Conor (1 and 1 at lightweight) to get his rematch

snotboogie wrote: »
    It has to be Ferguson; is he now on the longest win streak in UFC history without an actual title shot? 11 consecutive wins and he is probably going to be sat for 10 months while we wait for Conor (1 and 1 at lightweight) to get his rematch

People are quick to forget that Ferugson vs Khabib has already been made 4 times before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭snotboogie

spix wrote: »
    People are quick to forget that Ferugson vs Khabib has already been made 4 times before.

No they aren't, it gets brought up anytime a fight between them is mentioned. I don't think any of the four pullouts were unreasonable, injuries and bad luck happen, it's no excuse to not make the fight again.

snotboogie wrote: »
    No they aren't, it gets brought up anytime a fight between them is mentioned. I don't think any of the four pullouts were unreasonable, injuries and bad luck happen, it's no excuse to not make the fight again.

It is a good excuse, imagine if they done it for the 5th time and someone pulled out again. Then everyone will say they were stupid for booking it...why take the risk when you can book a rematch, a fight that was successful the 1st time and will make more money.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,278 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I think Dana will milk the cash cow.

Best possible plan for Dana is a 12 month ban for Khabib.
    He loses the belt and we get the winner of Poirier v Alvarez fighting Ferguson for the belt. You get McGregor v Diaz 3 and the winner of that gets a championship fight. Then Khabib comes back and fights the Champion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    eagle eye wrote: »
    I think Dana will milk the cash cow.

Best possible plan for Dana is a 12 month ban for Khabib.
    He loses the belt and we get the winner of Poirier v Alvarez fighting Ferguson for the belt. You get McGregor v Diaz 3 and the winner of that gets a championship fight. Then Khabib comes back and fights the Champion.

2 things here, if Khabib is stripped Dana and the UFC lose any credibility they have left, he's the lineal champion who just smashed the former lineal champion. And Poirier smashed Alvarez less than 3 months ago, why would he fight him again?

The best plan for Dana is Khabib gets a slap on the wrist and a few months suspension and defends him belt in the first or second quarter of 2019.

Let Conor go win a fight or two and earn it before people start making roadmaps for a rematch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Aldo just called out McGregor - as much as I don't want to see that fight. Aldo is no longer the machine he once was...

But I wouldn't begrudge Aldo the opportunity to pull in a big pay day. He deserves it.

Its the perfect fight to make - it would sell due to their history and McGregor would knock him out pretty easily . Its makes a lot of sense

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement