Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 229 Nurmagomedov vs McGregor - Sat Oct 6th **Warning in first post!**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

Its the perfect fight to make - it would sell due to their history and McGregor would knock him out pretty easily . Its makes a lot of sense

It's a route for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 38,275 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

2 things here, if Khabib is stripped Dana and the UFC lose any credibility they have left, he's the lineal champion who just smashed the former lineal champion. And Poirier smashed Alvarez less than 3 months ago, why would he fight him again?
    I meant the winner of Poirier v Diaz.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

McGregor by Sub
    Making a rematch straightaway would be ridiculous. Obviously doesn’t mean it won’t happen though.

From the sound of it Conor is going to dig his heels in and not accept any other fight. They will give Khabib a very large offer to fight him again.

Makes a mockery of the organization but money is the only thing they worry about.

Conor is so huge now they can only stick him in major main events. Are Aldo, Gaethje etc big enough fights at this stage..?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

2 things here, if Khabib is stripped Dana and the UFC lose any credibility they have left, he's the lineal champion who just smashed the former lineal champion. And Poirier smashed Alvarez less than 3 months ago, why would he fight him again?

The best plan for Dana is Khabib gets a slap on the wrist and a few months suspension and defends him belt in the first or second quarter of 2019.

Let Conor go win a fight or two and earn it before people start making roadmaps for a rematch.

Dana White has already said he won't be stripped. He said he thinks a fine of 250k and a 4-6 month ban. Which isn't really a ban, especially for Khabib who at most fights twice a year.

I agree about Conor having another fight or two before rematching Khabib.

Khabib may posture like he doesn't want it, but he will 100% take it. Or if by some weird reason he doesn't want it, if Conor wins a couple of fights beforehand and becomes a legit no 1 contender again, he'll be threatened to be stripped.

The fact that it will be the highest selling PPV of all time makes it a near certainty to me that we will see a rematch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭xtal191

McGregor by Sub
    If I'm Khabib I'd never give Conor the rematch, you think Conor would've given him one? Like **** he would.

• Advertisement

xtal191 wrote:
    If I'm Khabib I'd never give Conor the rematch, you think Conor would've given him one? Like **** he would.

If you were Khabib and you are being offered 500k for a regular defense or 3 million for a McGregor rematch what would you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    xtal191 wrote: »

Said the same here bout diaz that conor owes him a trilogy fight nd of course i was told no he dont owe him a rematch. Put my point that but diaz gave him a rematch was met with so he done it for the money but conor owes him nothing. Conor has habit of getting what he wants nd going home with ball, diaz trilogy refusal to defend belts cause he wants go boxing. I hope khabib gives hom rematch so he can fill his pockets off conor

• Registered Users Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭Hoboo

McGregor by Sub
    They'll all do what they're told, end of.

dave1982 wrote: »
    Said the same here bout diaz that conor owes him a trilogy fight nd of course i was told no he dont owe him a rematch. Put my point that but diaz gave him a rematch was met with so he done it for the money but conor owes him nothing. Conor has habit of getting what he wants nd going home with ball, diaz trilogy refusal to defend belts cause he wants go boxing. I hope khabib gives hom rematch so he can fill his pockets off conor

It's not habit though is it. It's business. Conor is the A side, the money. He decides. And UFC will put all the spin they want on it. But they need Conor and that's why he gets what he wants. Hence if he wants a rematch without a warm up - that's what he'll get. No other factors come into it. Just money. UFC is a business - like all professional sports.

Without an independent regulating body that is not on payroll, sporting motivations and decisions will not be the main route in terms of decision making.

USADA's behavior perfectly illustrates this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

McGregor by Sub

If the UFC decide they want to make that rematch then they will contact Conor and Khabib and try to come to an arrangement that will suit all parties.

If Conor had beaten Khabib then the rematch wouldn’t have been appealing and seeing as Conor is the cash cow, pointless. He would have been on to the next opponent.

Ferguson obviously deserves the shot now.

Why would Khabib possibly turn down a rematch against an opponent he beat without too much fuss and he will make more than his next 10 fights combined.

Don’t think you’d make much of a businessman.

• Advertisement

He'd have to insist on getting more money than McGregor..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Dana has already said he ain't stripping khabib

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

As DC says, stay broke than.

I wouldn't be sure of Conor not giving him a rematch. He'll literally do whatever is the most lucrative.

The Khabib rematch is probably that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭snotboogie

There will be a rematch in 9 to 15 months time. Neither will fight again before the rematch as it would threaten the big payday.

Tony should get his shot at Khabib and Conor should stay active with a rematch against Aldo or a tune up Gaethje fight, maybe if Conor is feeling very confident he could do a Diaz rematch or a Kevin Lee fight, both are very dangerous for him though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,049 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The rematch is absolutely huge, the aftermath has gotten huge exposure plus all the people who hate Mcgregor and want to see him lose again will buy the PPV. Khabib will take it, he can secure the financial future of his entire family on that fight and if he win's raise his profile even further.

He'll never ever draw more than McGregor or even close so he might aswell financially maximize this rivalry while he can.

Las Vegas next summer is my bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

McGregor by Sub
    I really hope they at least have Khabib defend against Ferguson before the inevitable rematch. That guy deserves his shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

Nurmagomedov by Decision

That’s the best point made so far.
    The pot should be incentivized for the winner.
    At least make it 51% winner , 49% loser.

I really hope they at least have Khabib defend against Ferguson before the inevitable rematch. That guy deserves his shot.

Of course he does but not how UFC works. Ferguson VS Khabib is the fight to make but the money is with a rematch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Doesn’t really work like that.
    If he doesn’t get more than McGregor he can go back to 500k money.
    Or he can take 5 million and fight McGregor.
    McGregor will make the same money regardless of who he fights.

rob316 wrote:
    Of course he does but not how UFC works. Ferguson VS Khabib is the fight to make but the money is with a rematch.

Even Ferguson doesn't want Khabib, he called out Conor. He knows which side his bread is buttered.

• Advertisement

There is a reason why George SP is test cutting 155 - it's not that he is into diets. His mind is blown by the money Conor generates.

And you can talk all the ****e you want about Conor's behavior and what he said - but it sold the fight to a huge record breaking UFC number. Which Conor always does. That's a fact. He is walking gold for the UFC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    Conor won't fight GSP. He just got mauled by one wrestler, GSP would just do the same if not worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭EoineyM

Great analysis of fight from Coach Zahabi (sorry if posted already)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPTYSIJBEI4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

McGregor by Sub
    eagle eye wrote: »
    Even Ferguson doesn't want Khabib, he called out Conor. He knows which side his bread is buttered.

He definitely wants Khabib. He wants to fight both. I think he said post fight that he'd fight Conor if Khabib had a long suspension but I'd imagine the title is the biggest thing in his mind at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Why should he get more money than McGregor? It's McGregor that's bringing the numbers and the money.

Lads these lads including McGregor will fight whoever generates the most money. McGregor does all the promotion, you can sit around like Khabib and say nothing and get paid. You beat him, even better your getting stupid money for a rematch, he beats you in the rematch you have the trilogy fight in the bank for the future.

Effects wrote: »
    Why should he get more money than McGregor? It's McGregor that's bringing the numbers and the money.

Don't get drawn in by that!

Even Silva wants a bite!

It's kind of embarrassing that those bigger men are falling over themselves for the fight.

The old rule of a bigger dude never calls out a smaller dude is gone. GSP desperately wants the fight.

GSP and Silva should be allowed get roided up and go at it hahaha

How hard is it to get, that this is a business about money!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

It wasn't always purely about the money, I do remember that time as I'm sure a lot here would too.

Yes, it is essentially all about the money these days. In the big fights whichever is going to do the most numbers will be made.

If McGregor wants to dig in and refuse another fight till he gets a rematch that is what will happen. Khabib will posture, of course he will but be will take the fight as he will make most money off it and it is a pretty handy nights work for him going off we have seen.

Plus, I am pretty sure he has at the very least a strong disliking for McGregor so another opportunity to squeeze the life out of him and smash him a bit is a big incentive.

He stood to make between 20 and 30 million for the last fight, I would imagine he will make more again for the rematch. It's a win win for everybody involved once you take what's "right" out of the equation.

Ferguson obviously deserves the shot. He may get it, or he may be collateral damage.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 6 HR Lady

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Khabib really hates him. I think conor wanted to touvh gloves

Begging for mercy

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement