Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 229 Nurmagomedov vs McGregor - Sat Oct 6th **Warning in first post!**

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 6 HR Lady

McGregor also ate the biggest (standing) strike of the fight. Who saw that...
    I think a lot of people erased that from their memories. That's what happens when you don't keep your hands up.

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    EoineyM wrote: »
    Great analysis of fight from Coach Zahabi (sorry if posted already)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPTYSIJBEI4

very good and measured.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

spix wrote: »
    It is a good excuse, imagine if they done it for the 5th time and someone pulled out again. Then everyone will say they were stupid for booking it...why take the risk when you can book a rematch, a fight that was successful the 1st time and will make more money.

Why do people care if the fights make money or not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

McGregor by Sub
    Why do people care if the fights make money or not?

Because it's prize fighting. What ever fights make the most money will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

In an ideal world I would love to see Khabib vs Ferguson and McGregor rematch Aldo at 155.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pN38ECWjJ6g

More impressed by McGregors game than Khabibs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭evolving tipperary

It wasn't always purely about the money, I do remember that time as I'm sure a lot here would too.

Yes, it is essentially all about the money these days. In the big fights whichever is going to do the most numbers will be made.

If McGregor wants to dig in and refuse another fight till he gets a rematch that is what will happen. Khabib will posture, of course he will but be will take the fight as he will make most money off it and it is a pretty handy nights work for him going off we have seen.

Plus, I am pretty sure he has at the very least a strong disliking for McGregor so another opportunity to squeeze the life out of him and smash him a bit is a big incentive.

He stood to make between 20 and 30 million for the last fight, I would imagine he will make more again for the rematch. It's a win win for everybody involved once you take what's "right" out of the equation.

Ferguson obviously deserves the shot. He may get it, or he may be collateral damage.

There's no way Khabib is getting tens of millions. His cut will hardly reach ten i'd imagine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

sonofenoch wrote: »

Said this yesterday, Conor done lot better than most people are saying.

I think people were just delighted to see him beat but with proper training etc it would make an interesting rematch.

Khabib never lost a round before. And Conor took round 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

dulux99 wrote: »
    In an ideal world I would love to see Khabib vs Ferguson and McGregor rematch Aldo at 155.

I'd like to see McGregor Holloway at 155, provided he's healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

I think people were just delighted to see him beat but with proper training etc it would make an interesting rematch.

Chael Sonnen gave the same type of reaction video, he was highly impressed by McGregors wrestling

Being honest it's easy to accept the idea he got mauled, most of us don't understand the finer points of wrestling

• Advertisement

I'd like to see McGregor Holloway at 155, provided he's healthy.

Holloway is fantastic to watch. And the 155 won't be as tough a cut

It wasn't always purely about the money, I do remember that time as I'm sure a lot here would too.

Yes, it is essentially all about the money these days. In the big fights whichever is going to do the most numbers will be made.

If McGregor wants to dig in and refuse another fight till he gets a rematch that is what will happen. Khabib will posture, of course he will but be will take the fight as he will make most money off it and it is a pretty handy nights work for him going off we have seen.

Plus, I am pretty sure he has at the very least a strong disliking for McGregor so another opportunity to squeeze the life out of him and smash him a bit is a big incentive.

He stood to make between 20 and 30 million for the last fight, I would imagine he will make more again for the rematch. It's a win win for everybody involved once you take what's "right" out of the equation.

Ferguson obviously deserves the shot. He may get it, or he may be collateral damage.

When was it not about money? When Randy fought Toney?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Nurmagomedov by Sub

Josh Thomson is AKAs team captain. Anything he said was vetted by Javi Mendez. If he's saying this it's because they fancy selling the rematche for another easy payday for Khabib.

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    Chael Sonnen gave the same type of reaction video, he was highly impressed by McGregors wrestling

Being honest it's easy to accept the idea he got mauled, most of us don't understand the finer points of wrestling

He did get mauled. He just defended better than people expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Nurmagomedov by Sub

Was he not properly training for this fight?

Nurmagomedov by Sub
    There's no way Khabib is getting tens of millions. His cut will hardly reach ten i'd imagine

He'll clear 20. Easily. Every 100k after 800k sales is worth over a million in ppv points to the fighters according to DC. So that's 12million at least from 800 to 2 million sales if Dana is to be believed. + His 2million purse + whatever he gets from incremental pay up to 800k sales.

Nate Diaz made over 20 million from his two fights with McGregor btw.

It's not just Conor getting ppv points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Gintonious wrote: »
    Was he not properly training for this fight?

Debatable.

Joe Rogan remarked to JK it was a short enough time to get ready for the fight after two years out and JK said it was.

He'll clear 20. Easily. Every 100k after 800k sales is worth over a million in ppv points to the fighters according to DC. So that's 12million at least from 800 to 2 million sales if Dana is to be believed. + His 2million purse + whatever he gets from incremental pay up to 800k sales.

Nate Diaz made over 20 million from his two fights with McGregor btw.

It's not just Conor getting ppv points.

20 million from two fights...

While this is scaling at a much higher PPV - the lion's share goes to the organisation and McGregor.

There's no guarantee that Khabib is getting the same deal as DC. And there's no way DC gets the same cut as McGregor

But maybe Khabib got a great deal on the PPV - i'd doubt it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

McGregor by Sub
    just rewatched the fight and was a little bit more impressed by mcgregor than i was on the night. he did very well to limit khabib's damage on the ground, round 3 was a pretty clear win for me also. i genuinely think conor was not 100% on the night and a 100% conor would make it a much closer fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

I gave him the benefit of the doubt but it’s clear as day here

https://twitter.com/btsportufc/status/1050098259107225601?s=12

Not a good look

• Advertisement

Not a good look

Still can't make out what McGregor's saying there.

Maybe he did say it.

Big deal.

That's after the third round? The one he won?

Why is it not a good look?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,317 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Not a good look

Jaysus he even lost his Dublin accent!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

McGregor by Sub

Not a good look

What's not good? He tells every oponent that's it's just business.

My god he took some damaging shots there though

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

He could also be saying Time Kisses, which can only be attributed to some illuminati sign

On the shots he took, he didn't look that damaged from them.

After a fight fair enough

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Nah...telling him mid fight is a terrible look. Its like he's pleading with him to calm down.

dulux99 wrote: »
    Nah...telling him mid fight is a terrible look. Its like he's pleading with him to calm down.

Exactly . Like a schoolyard bully when he realizes things aren’t going as planned

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭parc

McGregor by Sub
    Not sure if this was posted but 
    https://twitter.com/jockowillink/status/1048758772917723136
    Jocko Willink explained this approach on his podcast. He's a jiu jitsu guy that's cornered a few MMA guys before. 
    He was saying the way you beat an elite wrestler is to hold back - jab, be conservative, fight a boring fight, don't commit in rounds 1-3, then pick them apart on the feet in rounds 4 and 5. 
    Essentially if you commit to heavy strikes in the beginning it gives them an opening to take you down. He said Conor went forward too much. Very interesting - from 35 mins on here 
    Striking v grappling 
    http://jockopodcast.com/
    What do you guys think?

McGregor by Sub
    Why doesn't the above post have link breaks and why can't I edit the post?
    Ugh

Mod:
    Not sure, I re-saved your post and the links worked.

• Advertisement

McGregor by Sub
    Links and line breaks* 

ugh

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement